The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by a2london
Don't know what to say, have an offer for Cam too and am stressing about getting the grades (albeit my offer isn't as specific as yours): I really really hope you get in!!!

Okay i'm leaving to actually do some work, really isn't the time for procrastination :s

Thank you, this genuinely raised my spirits :smile:
I hope you get your place too!!
Reply 81
Original post by CHY872
For a start, do you maybe think that Cambridge gave you the MEI offer just because it was harder?
FYI, the only reason MEI UMS conversions are so high is that so many people score well on the exams. If the 90% mark was 67/72, that'll mean that many, many people did better than 67/72. Pick a hard module or get a hard paper - the UMS would be no where near as bad. Thankfully the mark schemes are quite nice - and if you only made small mistakes on the NM paper, you'll have only been losing about 2 marks a mistake. The marking is quite nice in that respect. I assume that you were somewhat limited to D1 and NM by the modules you'd already done for your A level maths - it's too bad, since D1 is generally seen as being a joke paper.

Seems to have a harsh tone.
To pick one example, the A2 module differential equations is considered a very tough paper, and the UMS mark for 90% remains almost unattainably high seemingly regardless of how difficult or easy each paper is. I don't feel that the offer given is necessarily that much harder for it though, it was still well in my capabilities, and I tried to make it quite clear in my original comment that I blame myself just as much, for panicking in the exam and doing much much worse than I did in any past paper.
I really hope you're right about the marking though, if I'm in danger of missing the offer I'll only be missing it by a couple UMS, so any helpful nudge in the right direction will hopefully see me safe. :smile:
Original post by Gould1610
Seems to have a harsh tone.
To pick one example, the A2 module differential equations is considered a very tough paper, and the UMS mark for 90% remains almost unattainably high seemingly regardless of how difficult or easy each paper is. I don't feel that the offer given is necessarily that much harder for it though, it was still well in my capabilities, and I tried to make it quite clear in my original comment that I blame myself just as much, for panicking in the exam and doing much much worse than I did in any past paper.
I really hope you're right about the marking though, if I'm in danger of missing the offer I'll only be missing it by a couple UMS, so any helpful nudge in the right direction will hopefully see me safe. :smile:

The January 12 DE paper was a very hard paper, and as such had a very low boundary. I know I could have got a maximum of 13/24 on one question, and I got 87% UMS.
Reply 83
Few days ago, I were diagnosed with Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD). This made my examination stress much more severe that ever before and therefore I am likely to achieve worse result than I was predicted.

I don't know if I should apply for extenuating circumstances. What do you think? I will be extremely grateful for any help :smile:

PS: My choices are UCL (may miss Maths requirement by 2% or so) and York (safe).
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a conditional (BBB) from brunel for aerospace BEng. And with the exams i have completed up to now i don't think i can achieve the condition. i think i will get ACC for my ALevels. will my offer be kicked off?? :confused: or can i still have hope :colondollar: ?? has anybody faced this situation regariding aerospace at brunel?? please help me sort his out!! can i attend brunel with this results??
Dreading the idea of packing up for Scotland* two weeks earlier than planned if I miss my firm. I did not think this through!

*I do love Glasgow, but things really changed after I got my offers :s-smilie:
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
For my firm and insurance they require me to get 300 UCAS (stupid i know) but i might get 260 or 280 UCAS points... have i lost my chance?
My firm wants ABB, but I'm pretty sure I've missed this. My insurance wants 300pts. I don't want to go to my insurance, but I know that I won't get into my firm. I also don't really want to go through Clearing. I'm so unsure and confused right now, can I just reject my insurance if I do get the grade and then re-do year 13, as doing a Gap Year is just not something I can do.
Reply 88
Damn you a*, damn you :angry:
Reply 89
Original post by Pensivedore
My firm wants ABB, but I'm pretty sure I've missed this. My insurance wants 300pts. I don't want to go to my insurance, but I know that I won't get into my firm. I also don't really want to go through Clearing. I'm so unsure and confused right now, can I just reject my insurance if I do get the grade and then re-do year 13, as doing a Gap Year is just not something I can do.
You don't have to take up your place, whether it turns out to be your firm or insurance, but you'd need to let the uni know quickly so that someone else can have it.
Reply 90
I need 300pts, c in physics and B in DT to go to Loughborough :/

I thought that was very get able but recently ive been getting Ds and Es in physics and I'm about middle B for DT so that's ok which means I'll have to get an A or a B in geography

Do you reckon the university will give me a bit of leeway if I get 300pts+ get a B in DT and a D in physics? :s-smilie:
Got a Maths M2 exam in two days time, I know I can do the questions, but our exam board has been giving very hard maths papers this year. I ended up panicking in C4 after I couldn't solve a proof and I've ended up with a C or low B, now I really need an A in M2 to guarantee my overall Maths A and place at uni but I'm terrified that I'll end up panicking for the harder questions again. My offer is AAB and I'm confident in getting those grades however I'm required to get an A in maths, and I doubt my uni will be giving any consideration to people who miss grades at all.

The exam is in the morning which is even worse since I feel terrible for most morning exams. I don't know whether it would be wise to get up earlier than normal or not since at AS I got up just around 6am for final revision for a Chemistry module and ended up having to put my head down during the exam for 20 minutes I felt so ill. I'm not sure what I'm asking here, but if anyone had any pre exam mental preparation tips that would be useful.
Reply 92
Had my Spanish exam today and definitely didn't get that A*. Need to nail tomorrow's Sociology exam now
So gutted got my results yesterday! Got a C , Needed a B to get into my top choice, I missed this by '2' marks :frown:
English Lit is the only one I'm really worried about, I'm really not going to enjoy waiting this summer :/
Reply 95
Any advice on what I can do if I do not meet my conditional offer from my university of choice? :/

I am dreading the fact of not achieving a pass mark for my A2 Sociology exam this month...
Panic has set in now!
I need BBC to get into nursing, which probably sounds low compared to all you lot.I have no insurance to fall back on and im pretty sure i'll have a C or lower in my first exam I did so now I have to try and maintain my Bs in biology and psychology.
I honestly don't know what I will do if I don't get my grades, if I don't get in to this uni then what are the chances of a good uni being in clearing which will let me in with my grades.
Reply 97
Need ABB but im thinking im going t get ABC or even ACC wit A in physics, and CC in Biology and maths. Its for a Physics Bsc course at sussex, do you think that course and uni will be lenient enough for me to get in? I will probably be about 5-10 ums of each C grade if i get what i said... aaaaaahh

With all of this said i might even get my grades
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm so ****ed, and the strange thing is that I may end up with A*A*BB and still not get in despite my offer being AAA :frown:

Original post by confused dot com
English Lit is the only one I'm really worried about, I'm really not going to enjoy waiting this summer :/

Forgive me for prying but you have an AAA offer from Oxford for Medicine and 99.5% at AS for English Literature? What exactly are you worried about? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Alexok
Need ABB but im thinking im going t get ABC or even ACC wit A in physics, and CC in Biology and maths. Its for a Physics Bsc course at sussex, do you think that course and uni will be lenient enough for me to get in? I will probably be about 5-10 ums of each C grade if i get what i said... aaaaaahh

With all of this said i might even get my grades

just make sure you get the B in maths if you think you will miss their offer, Maths will look a lot better at a Grade B as you're applying for Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending