The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3720
Is it bad that I've finally realised I often stress myself out and get hurt because I feel awful for not being as stressed as other people around me, and no longer want to beat myself up for other people's problems? To me this sounds like being a selfish bastard, apparently it's healthy self-love :s-smilie:
Original post by Mia_thompson
hey guys I was just wondering if anyone had ever watched a tv show called make it or break it? Because I was bored last night and discovered it online and watched several episodes. There's a girl in it whose a professional gymnast but also suffering from anorexia and thats EXACTLY the same as me and ... i know this may sound stupid and pathetic but i could relate so much to the girl in it (and i know it's only a stupid tv programme) but i found it really triggering?
I don't quite know what to do because i've been recovering so well but i've found that this stupid tv programme has really set me back and I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar to this and what the best way to push past it is?
thank you for any help :hugs:

Yeah! That girl.. Kayleigh or whatever her name was. I used to watch it but as soon as it came to her eating disorders.... I had to force myself to stop. I found it incredibly triggering and it pushed me back a huge boulder step. I started my eating disorder again because of it.

....Some threads like these are triggering too. It's horrible...

God. I hope you're ok. I know how you probably felt. We just need to hold strong and ignore stuff like that. We've got to build up the strength to just at least pick up the remote and change it.

Does anyone experience lack of emotion when under eating/under weight? I feel so numb, like there's a fog around me and it's not letting me respond emotionally to anything around me.

Does it get better when you recover? :frown: I feel so helpless about it.
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone experience lack of emotion when under eating/under weight? I feel so numb, like there's a fog around me and it's not letting me respond emotionally to anything around me.

yes to both.
Original post by .snowflake.
same. German exam on friday. despite sending sir two essays, one which i wrote when my attention span was that of a gnat, and one where i felt i was actually concentrating for more than 30 seconds and got 28 and 32/40 respectively, and being told 'You'll be fine.' I'm SO scared.

Aw, best of luck to you! Considering what you're going through, that's quite an achievement to get 32/40 and in exam situations often the pressure can make you concentrate harder. Personally it's the long periods of research and concentration needed for essays that I find harder to sustain. Take a deep breath and do your best, you deserve nothing less.
Reply 3725

That's the major reason why I depend/depended on it. Recovery has thrown quite a few missiles at me now I can actually feel emotions again. Working on less destructive techniques to deal with emotions now.

Yep, since I started eating more I am crying ALL THE TIME about everything. I wake up in the morning and cry because I don't know what to eat, then I cry before, during and after every meal, then I cry because I've eaten, then I cry because I'm crying about eating and the whole thing is totally ridiculous. Hoping this is going to pass soon because right now I feel like a hormonal teenager again haha.
Some people on this thread were talking about tumblr a little while ago, so who has one? Anyone want to share?
Original post by sentiment
Yep, since I started eating more I am crying ALL THE TIME about everything. I wake up in the morning and cry because I don't know what to eat, then I cry before, during and after every meal, then I cry because I've eaten, then I cry because I'm crying about eating and the whole thing is totally ridiculous. Hoping this is going to pass soon because right now I feel like a hormonal teenager again haha.

-sends you a box of mansized tissues- I hope your flatmates are understanding/ don't think you've completely lost it.

Some people on this thread were talking about tumblr a little while ago, so who has one? Anyone want to share?

I have one. I would share, but since as everyone on here seems to be doing the recovery lark, I don't really want to. Massively triggering at point. In other news, I've had the most amazing porridge this morning.

Oh god, I laughed at this but I know the feel man.

When things had begun kicking in again and I was having emotions again it was daft.

"Why are you crying at the film?"
"It's [hic] beautiful, they finally def-eated Volde-e... MORT! [Wah]"
Original post by Antiaris
Oh god, I laughed at this but I know the feel man.

When things had begun kicking in again and I was having emotions again it was daft.

"Why are you crying at the film?"
"It's [hic] beautiful, they finally def-eated Volde-e... MORT! [Wah]"

I was like that. Dumbledore dies, i cried. Dobby dies, I cried, Snape dies...
Anyone else cry during Wall-E?
Reply 3731

i've got 1 i'll message you x
-sends you a box of mansized tissues- I hope your flatmates are understanding/ don't think you've completely lost it.

I have one. I would share, but since as everyone on here seems to be doing the recovery lark, I don't really want to. Massively triggering at point. In other news, I've had the most amazing porridge this morning.

Thanks for the tissues, they'll come in handy! Yeah mine is very triggering at the moment as well, even though most days I'm doing okay, I do find it helpful to be able to vent all the mental stuff I think which makes it look like I'm a total nutjob most of the time.
I was like that. Dumbledore dies, i cried. Dobby dies, I cried, Snape dies...
Anyone else cry during Wall-E?

*raises hand*

And don't even get me started on War Horse if any of you have seen that. IT'S A HORSE. IT'S NOT EVEN A REAL HORSE, IT'S JUST A HORSE IN A STORY. STOP SOBBING!
*raises hand*

And don't even get me started on War Horse if any of you have seen that. IT'S A HORSE. IT'S NOT EVEN A REAL HORSE, IT'S JUST A HORSE IN A STORY. STOP SOBBING!

I can't even look at Joey without tearing up... My mum took me and my sister to see the play for my 19th birthday, but we had to leave ten minutes before the end to make sure we made the last train... cue the three of us running out the theatre and around London sobbing our eyes out all the way from Drury Lane to Marylebone... Hilarious looking back but at the time I was so upset! I can't watch Up! either without bursting into tears because my BF is so similar in features to Carl (same glasses, hair and eyes!) and it makes me so sad. I find films like Wall-E and Spirit so sad because there's just so much happy but you know that five/ten/fifty years down the line Wall-E will have rusted and Eva will be alone and it's so sad :frown:

Uh. Yeh.
I can't even look at Joey without tearing up... My mum took me and my sister to see the play for my 19th birthday, but we had to leave ten minutes before the end to make sure we made the last train... cue the three of us running out the theatre and around London sobbing our eyes out all the way from Drury Lane to Marylebone... Hilarious looking back but at the time I was so upset! I can't watch Up! either without bursting into tears because my BF is so similar in features to Carl (same glasses, hair and eyes!) and it makes me so sad. I find films like Wall-E and Spirit so sad because there's just so much happy but you know that five/ten/fifty years down the line Wall-E will have rusted and Eva will be alone and it's so sad :frown:

Uh. Yeh.

Oh God yeah, I saw War Horse at the theatre too a few years ago and I remember everyone pouring out into the foyer afterwards trying to hastily touch up their faces hahah. But at least the geese were funny?
Hey,

I don't have enough time to read all nearly 200 pages of this thread, and I apologise if this is uncomfortable for anyone, but I read from the first couple and last couple that many people here have undereating/restrictive disorders... Does anyone suffer from the other scale of the spectrum? I've suffered from a cyclical Eating Disorder for most of my life... My 'neutral' period is Binge Eating disorder, but it's interspersed with periods of binge/purge and restriction. It's a bloody hard thing to live with because I don't -look- like I have an eating disorder, because I'm so over weight, and therefore it's hard to get people to take me and my issues seriously!
*raises hand*

Aww. I refuse to watch Marley and me because apparently thats really sad, ditto Toy Story 3, my sisters keeper...

Uh. Yeh.

Its the bit where Wall-E gives eva the flower, and because its alive, it makes her shut down because she's found what she was sent out to find, and WallE is trying to get her back and taking her places and stuff.
Aww. I refuse to watch Marley and me because apparently thats really sad, ditto Toy Story 3, my sisters keeper...

My Sisters Keeper just made me angry :colondollar:

Sad films about people? I don't care.

Sad films about animated people? Bawling.

Sad films about animals? Bawling even harder.

Quick Reply

Latest