The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Biology - B7 and Ideas in Context

Scroll to see replies

CGP Master race. end of.
Reply 761
Original post by Anny Smiles
Thank you for taking the time to scan- kind of you....
It doesn't, however, change the fact that OCR can't presume all candidates have access... not everyone has internet access, certainly not everyone's on TSR! So, still, not everyone would have had access to it- even those with internet access, on TSR, may not have found the thread... So the resource isn't available to 'anyone who needs it', still...

OCR give a specification, and they publish an official textbook and revision guide- these are OCR resources, and they are what they base exams on [for example, the official OCR knowledge checklist we were given, written by OCR, has page number references for their own textbook] you can clearly see the parallels, and how their own resources fit with past paper answers, and whilst CGP and other revision guides are, undeniably, useful, OCR don't presume you've seen them, and don't base exams upon them.

You're right in that OCR aren't going to treat us as dumb- but there's also the reality that not every question in the paper is designed to gain a candidate an A*! Some 'easier' marks are available to gain other grades than A*, and it is more complex questions, and longer answers, which usually offer the opportunity for the top candidates to distinguish themselves...
They don't have unrealistic expectations. Their specification states, for the heart, you need to "describe the main structures and blood vessels of the heart" and in their textbook and revision guide, the valves weren't named! This meant understanding the atria and ventricles, valves, veins, arteries and capillaries, as far as the textbook and revision guides specified.

Neither of us can claim that we present the truth, harsh or otherwise, as we don't know for sure we're correct, and we won't know unless OCR puts this paper online as a past paper- since this is the last year of the spec, they may not even do so!

GCSE has a limit to knowledge you require- otherwise you may as well just take an AS level already... so, I think you're being somewhat pessimistic, and, yes, I dislike what you say, because you cannot claim it's the truth, as you don't know this for certain...!

*climbs down from soapbox* :wink:

I appreciate your viewpoint, but I was trying to make a direct comment to the person who stated it was, for them I can assume, unfair, when they had clear access to the TSR forums, I didn't mean generally overall.

We can't definitively say whether it is or not needed but OCR won't simply always copy things from their specification and ask you them, like my biology teacher always says, exams are supposed to test your knowledge despite question scenarios which may be unfamiliar. I will agree with you however, on this case, that this is not so as I believe for one mark that kind of knowledge wouldn't be necessary.

However, once again, I was making a direct comment on someone's lack of appreciation generally for stating that GCSE's will have some sort of easy difficulty to them compared to A-Levels, this isn't the case and is exactly why it's a qualification and not just a test you did like Year 6 SAT's. GCSE's require you to know even the minor details sometimes. So the conclusion that there is a limit to the knowledge like you said, but simple names is not something i'd call too advanced for GCSE's and you should never be too complacent with it.

Oh yeah, also I appreciate your disagreement about it being the truth, you were right about that :P
Reply 762
OMG. I wrote valves and what they do then my teacher came and told me to check that
X( X( X( X( X(X(
So i changed my correct answer :'(
Maybe she hates me....
Reply 763
Original post by Freddy-Francis
Well. Most of the people in my school said was it was a piece of a cake. so most people found it easy.

Do you go to a private or grammer school by any chance?
Original post by joe1545
Do you go to a private or grammer school by any chance?

Government one. xD
Original post by komalkhan
OMG. I wrote valves and what they do then my teacher came and told me to check that
X( X( X( X( X(X(
So i changed my correct answer :'(
Maybe she hates me....

o.o
Your teacher said that in the exam??
I messed upon the last 3 questions. I forgot the tissue fluid :'(
I wanted that full marks :'(
Reply 767
Original post by Skittle123
Arrrr geography's pretty interesting though :biggrin:
And what do you mean by what region is my exam centre in?? :P

It seems fun, but my friend just said its all about rivers and is really boring so im not sure :smile:
And cause my friend said that different regions do it at different times, like im in London so i do it at a different time to some one in the north, but i dont think thats true :P
It starts of the light energy from the sun. The light energy is captured by the chlorophyll in cells of green plants and is used to photosynthesis. Within the chlorophyll molecule light energy is used to rearrange the carbon dioxide and water molecules to produce glucose and oxygen. The oxygen is the waste product and exits via the leaf or is reused in the process.
This is what i wrote for the 1st question. will i get full marks for that??
I am going to post the answers i put for each questions. It will not be inorder.
Reply 770
It starts of the light energy from the sun. The light energy is captured by the chlorophyll in cells of green plants and is used to photosynthesis. Within the chlorophyll molecule light energy is used to rearrange the carbon dioxide and water molecules to produce glucose and oxygen. The oxygen is the waste product and exits via the leaf or is reused in the process.
This is what i wrote for the 1st question. will i get full marks for that??

Yup full marks :smile:
Starch is an insoluble molecule and doesn't affect the osmotic balance of the cell. However the glucose is a soluble chemical and therefore makes the cell turgid.
erhmm... The active transport one..
Plants normally use diffusion to absorb nutrients from the soil but the concentration of the nitrates outside the cell is higher than that inside therefore a plant uses energy by active transport. The active transport is the movemet of a substance against the concentration gradient which requires energy..
Original post by Smko
Yup full marks :smile:

Check my rest please xD
Reply 774
Starch is an insoluble molecule and doesn't affect the osmotic balance of the cell. However the glucose is a soluble chemical and therefore makes the cell turgid.

Yeah the marks will be for 1)Insoluble 2)Osmotic balance part. :smile: 2/2
Reply 775
erhmm... The active transport one..
Plants normally use diffusion to absorb nutrients from the soil but the concentration of the nitrates outside the cell is higher than that inside therefore a plant uses energy by active transport. The active transport is the movemet of a substance against the concentration gradient which requires energy..

First part is not needed!! marks will be for 1)Active transport 2)Uses energy 3) Again the concentration gradient 3/3
For the IIC.
The biodiversity is the variety of organisms which live in a specific region.

To find the organisms now..
600 x 1.75 <<something like that?>>
I got 1050.

Biological control is controlling pests by using predators,

I am not sure if i did the other right>
?
Reply 777
For the IIC.
The biodiversity is the variety of organisms which live in a specific region.

To find the organisms now..
600 x 1.75 <<something like that?>>
I got 1050.

Biological control is controlling pests by using predators,

I am not sure if i did the other right>
?

LOL these two were on your resource presentation..

It was 1050, and it was controlling pests for the 1st mark and the 2nd mark through an example such as "predators" or "parasites" or "pathogens" :P
Will i get any marks for the 3rd question from the back. The one how and where the substances are passed from the blood to the cells.

(I was thinking for the word tissue fluid but couldnt think of it in the exam. I was like BITCH PLEASE!)
So i didnt want to blank it so said. The substances are diffused into the cells through the capillaries. They are one cell thick and connect the arteries and veins.

ROFL. Anymarks for written communication as it is 3+1??
Reply 779
Will i get any marks for the 3rd question from the back. The one how and where the substances are passed from the blood to the cells.

(I was thinking for the word tissue fluid but couldnt think of it in the exam. I was like BITCH PLEASE!)
So i didnt want to blank it so said. The substances are diffused into the cells through the capillaries. They are one cell thick and connect the arteries and veins.

ROFL. Anymarks for written communication as it is 3+1??

Youll get the 1 mark for written communication for sure :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending