The Student Room Group

should I apply or am I waisting my time

Ok, I have finished my AS levels now, and am awaiting my results. Here is what I think I got based on my jan results + I have a strong idea of how my exams went...Further maths (A - 90 ish UMS) Maths (A 90ish UMS) Physics (B/C 65-70 UMS) Economics (B/A 75-80 UMS) oh and gcse 5A* 6A. Now I want to study Computer science, and my maths grades are very high and I should hopefully be predicted A*A* (f-maths + maths).Will my physics/econ hold me back (I will resit and work to get an A at A2 for one of these) I also have got gold crest award, done maths open uni course and doing extended project in computer science... Do I actually have any chance of getting into top Unis like Ox, UCL, KCL, Imperial... what are my chances of even getting selected for interview at oxford in particular... thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apply, yeah, it's always worth applying. Try and get your predicted grades as high as possible by working hard in class, that'll give you more chance. The lower grade in Econ/Physics will count against you in some respect, but high grades in Maths and Further Maths is a good start.

Also just because you got high UMS in the first couple of modules in Maths and Further Maths, don't take this as the fact that your UMS will maintain that high standard through all your modules. Further Maths is certainly a lot more difficult at A2, and throws up some interesting challenges even for the top AS students.

Furthermore, have you been to any of these Uni's? Oxford in particular? Don't just apply there because of its reputation, I made that mistake. I applied there on a whim because it was like "Ooooh Oxford", but after visiting and speaking to the CompSci Tutors (I also applied for Computer Science), I realised that they were in actual fact rather up themselves, and I disliked the whole setup, therefore leading to me rejecting Oxford for another institution.
Reply 2
Yeah, I have been and I really do like it. I know that I have done well in maths + fm as I was consistantly getting 90-100 on mocks/past papers... I could come out with AABC and A*A*B predictions, however the B would be re-sat. I know, I will have to work hard at FM next year... With a 60% interview rate... Do I stand out in the top 6/10 typical candidates? what about the other institutions I mentioned... Particularly UCL + KCL what kind of a chance do I have? thanks for the reply,
Reply 3
Okay, well that's a good start, for me it wasn't right, but that's personal opinion :smile:

A*A*B would be a nice set of predictions, but like I said, the B would count against you majorly, as you wouldn't actually be meeting their required grades, if i'm correct in saying that the requirements for CompSci are A*AA or AAA? Therefore with a B, you wouldn't meet their requirements leading to an instant rejection i'm afraid. If you could get that B pushed upto an A then you would have a good chance I think, at least of getting an interview. Furthermore, have you looked into the Admissions papers for Oxford, these are always quite difficult, usually based on Logic style questions - they are difficult to revise for.

In terms of other institutions I can't comment, as I didn't apply to either of the two you mentioned. Don't be blinded by wanting to go to a "Top" University with a big reputation. Other institutions are just as respected and sometimes offer better courses/experiences.
Reply 4
I see, Yeah obviously I'll start with applying and if I'm lucky then I'll start to look at admissions tests. When you say instant rejection, do you mean if I apply with A*A*B my application will not be considered? Or I'll be rejected if I don't get that A before I start Uni. Because it's impossible for me to increase my grade any further before september (application). I will only be able to improve my AS next year (simultaneous to A2).
Reply 5
Yeah, if you apply with predicted grades A*A*B they won't even consider your application because the requirements are A*AA.

See here --> http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/computer_science/computer_science__1.html
Reply 6
Well between now and when I am applying to university I cannot improve my grades any more. So unless I get predicted an A by physics or economics I'm screwed. Oh well, I better beg my teachers! After all I will resit as many times as I need to until I get it.
Reply 7
I'm afraid you will need to beg your teachers, it's the only way your application will get considered. You're predicted grades are an indicator to the Uni as to whether you'll meet their requirements or not.
Reply 8
But the fact that I will resit, economics would infact be completely irrelevant to my degree, and that teachers don't always make perfect predictions. I find it a little harsh that my application wouldn't be considered at all, even that they would give me the benefit or a doubt and AT LEAST offer an interview.
Reply 9
It doesn't matter, if you don't have the grades they won't look at you. It's not as if Oxford have a shortage of applicants..
And there's no "at least offer an interview" at Oxford, people that do get an Interview are the lucky half of the people who sit the admissions test!
Original post by dontbtz
Well between now and when I am applying to university I cannot improve my grades any more. So unless I get predicted an A by physics or economics I'm screwed. Oh well, I better beg my teachers! After all I will resit as many times as I need to until I get it.

It has to be physics you get the a in for Oxford.
We wouldn't automatically throw out your application just because you weren't predicted A*AA, but it would definitely be a negative point on your application. The tutors of course prefer not to see resits, but again it's not a deal-breaker. The tutors are looking to get an overall impression of what you can do, and may be willing to ignore a poorer point on your application if they think other things give a fairer impression of what you can do. In order to be offered a place you would need to do very well in other parts of the application process, and convince the tutors you would go on to achieve A*AA at A2. If you were offered a place you'd then have until the August before you joined us in October to meet these conditions (ie get the A*AA.) The tutors have all your information (aptitude test scores, GCSE grades, reference, etc) when deciding who to interview. As most people have similar predicted grades aptitude test scores are more important in deciding who to interview.
Original post by gmseahorse
It has to be physics you get the a in for Oxford.

For straight Computer Science at Oxford the standard offer is A*AA, with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. Maths is essential and we also recommend Further Maths. Either Physics or Economics would be fine as the third A Level. More info here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#What_is_your_standard_conditional_offer.3F
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
We wouldn't automatically throw out your application just because you weren't predicted A*AA, but it would definitely be a negative point on your application. The tutors of course prefer not to see resits, but again it's not a deal-breaker. The tutors are looking to get an overall impression of what you can do, and may be willing to ignore a poorer point on your application if they think other things give a fairer impression of what you can do. In order to be offered a place you would need to do very well in other parts of the application process, and convince the tutors you would go on to achieve A*AA at A2. If you were offered a place you'd then have until the August before you joined us in October to meet these conditions (ie get the A*AA.) The tutors have all your information (aptitude test scores, GCSE grades, reference, etc) when deciding who to interview. As most people have similar predicted grades aptitude test scores are more important in deciding who to interview.

Thank you so much for this reply. You've Clarified a lot of things for me here. And yes, of course the rest of the application would be extra important, I know. I thought that an application wouldn't be instantly rejected due to this, it seemed a bit harsh. Based on all of this, would you recommend me applying, might as well I take a shot at it?
Original post by dontbtz
Thank you so much for this reply. You've Clarified a lot of things for me here. And yes, of course the rest of the application would be extra important, I know. I thought that an application wouldn't be instantly rejected due to this, it seemed a bit harsh. Based on all of this, would you recommend me applying, might as well I take a shot at it?

You're welcome. Nothing you've said makes me think you'd be automatically out of the running: some students do have an off exam or two at AS level and bounce back by A2. You're doing a good set of A Levels subjects for us, and your GCSE results are about what we normally see from successful applicants. The lower predicted grade is a negative, but not necessarily an insurmountable one, as it's only predicted. But you've got to apply in order for us to consider you. Your chances of getting an offer really will depend on how you do in the aptitude test and interview (if invited), which I really can't predict your performance in. Some students who look great on paper really struggle with it; sometimes students who look weaker in their UCAS form really excel in it. You might find it useful to go through some of the past papers of the aptitude tests and see how you get on. Anything over 50% and you're doing well. There's also some guidance on how to prepare for interviews. (We normally suggest spending some time explaining to a your Mum/Dad something you're studying in one of your Maths/Science A Levels (assuming that said parent isn't a scientist themselves, but you get the idea) so you get used to explaining complex, technical ideas out loud.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Do you have to be invited to sit the aptitude test? Or can anyone and everyone who applies have a go at it? Thanks.
Reply 16
I'm pretty sure that's a load of rubbish, simply an attempt to draw away the opinion that Oxford is the elitist institution that it is.. But anyway, just my opinion.

If what you say is true what's the point in having grade requirements for applications if you're still going to look at applications with lower grades, surely that defeats the object? I'm pretty sure that the first way of eliminating people from the mass of applications is the ones who's grades do not meet the requirements, with the exception of those with extenuating circumstances .

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Original post by jordan-s
I'm pretty sure that's a load of rubbish, simply an attempt to draw away the opinion that Oxford is the elitist institution that it is.. But anyway, just my opinion.

If what you say is true what's the point in having grade requirements for applications if you're still going to look at applications with lower grades, surely that defeats the object? I'm pretty sure that the first way of eliminating people from the mass of applications is the ones who's grades do not meet the requirements, with the exception of those with extenuating circumstances .

No. I know a lot of people and have seen a lot of people on here get offers when they are predicted grades lower than the requirements set out on the unis website. If they like the other aspects of your application then you are in with a shot of getting an offer, it is then up to you to meet it. Many schools do not reliably predict their students the correct grade, and unis are aware of this.
Reply 18
But we're talking about Oxford here, not your average run of the mill Uni.. Less than 1 in 5 applicants actually get an offer...

Reply 19
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
You're welcome. Nothing you've said makes me think you'd be automatically out of the running: some students do have an off exam or two at AS level and bounce back by A2. You're doing a good set of A Levels subjects for us, and your GCSE results are about what we normally see from successful applicants. The lower predicted grade is a negative, but not necessarily an insurmountable one, as it's only predicted. But you've got to apply in order for us to consider you. Your chances of getting an offer really will depend on how you do in the aptitude test and interview (if invited), which I really can't predict your performance in. Some students who look great on paper really struggle with it; sometimes students who look weaker in their UCAS form really excel in it. You might find it useful to go through some of the past papers of the aptitude tests and see how you get on. Anything over 50% and you're doing well. There's also some guidance on how to prepare for interviews. (We normally suggest spending some time explaining to a your Mum/Dad something you're studying in one of your Maths/Science A Levels (assuming that said parent isn't a scientist themselves, but you get the idea) so you get used to explaining complex, technical ideas out loud.)

Do you have to be invited to sit to aptitude test or can anyone and everyone who applies take it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending