The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by affinity89

I am on my final week of teaching placement now [although I have two weeks of enhancement at the same school left]. I just cannot be bothered! I am seriously lacking in motivation because planning for one week seems so pointless. Apparently, the placement is normally split 4:4 or 5:3 around the half term, rather than this year where it is 7:1. On the upside, three days teaching left. Yay!! :redface:

I work in education too. In Russia.

And I work until July. There will be summer holidays. :tongue: And in September... One professor finally had moved to Moscow from my city. :smile: This means I may get my part of his subjects in two local Unies. As I really hope... :rolleyes:

And btw, I'm not PGCE, I'm something what you call Ph.D But we call it another name.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stray_talk
My PGCE year was definitely one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It's no mean feat!

I'd agree with that, and I did mine 30 years ago. I gave up mentoring 14 years ago (I think) and have just observed from the sidelines as my friend does the central mentoring thing (if that's what they still call it) and I can't believe how much worse it's got even since then. Actual, real teaching is nothing like as bad, certainly not after the first couple of years anyway.
Out of interview 1 and think I may have a shot? Just maybe... we watched each others lessons so that was weird. Is that normal? Think I may not have spoken quite enough during the interview but who knows.

I think the main thing though is that its a 1 year contract as they may be restructuring languages and as it's a cheap NQT vs. someone who's already crossed threshold (returning after maternity), I think money has to come into it!

I'm sure I'll eat my words later and regret even being slightly positive haha, but I'm going back to the seaside to wait to hear before I travel to the next one as would definitely accept this. They've said they'll call by 3 so not as long a wait as last time!

Can't go on the beach as am in interview clothes and may need them, sucks :frown:
Original post by noodles!
Out of interview 1 and think I may have a shot? Just maybe... we watched each others lessons so that was weird. Is that normal? Think I may not have spoken quite enough during the interview but who knows.

I think the main thing though is that its a 1 year contract as they may be restructuring languages and as it's a cheap NQT vs. someone who's already crossed threshold (returning after maternity), I think money has to come into it!

I'm sure I'll eat my words later and regret even being slightly positive haha, but I'm going back to the seaside to wait to hear before I travel to the next one as would definitely accept this. They've said they'll call by 3 so not as long a wait as last time!

Can't go on the beach as am in interview clothes and may need them, sucks :frown:
Fingers crossed for you.:smile:
Ugh quarter to and no call, bet theyre ringing the other candidate right now :frown: i just want to find out either way because i need to travel but dont want to do it all again tomorrow!

Sorry for the pointless post but the seaside isnt that great when you have luggage! Plus im bored sitting on a wall by the beach as walking will probably mean I miss the call!
Ugh quarter to and no call, bet theyre ringing the other candidate right now :frown: i just want to find out either way because i need to travel but dont want to do it all again tomorrow!

Sorry for the pointless post but the seaside isnt that great when you have luggage! Plus im bored sitting on a wall by the beach as walking will probably mean I miss the call!

I truly understand how you feel. When I got my current job, they didn't call until 7.30, by which time I'd taken myself off to sulk in bed! (I am a bit wussy!)
Another no so off to the next one I go, but I just want to cry and go home, don't think I've got it in me to do another!

It's the one I was 'recommended' for by my other failed interview but I'm bound to not get that one either. I know I have to go but sick of this now.
Another no so off to the next one I go, but I just want to cry and go home, don't think I've got it in me to do another!

It's the one I was 'recommended' for by my other failed interview but I'm bound to not get that one either. I know I have to go but sick of this now.

Oh, I'm so sorry.:frown:
So sorry about the job noodles :frown: I'm on failed interview number 6 so I do know how it feels. There will be loads more jobs just for NQTs now though, so try to stay positive :smile:

I did my day in primary today with Year 1. Good grief. Secondary was definitely the right choice for me!
Sorry to hear that noodles :frown: I can't say I've heard of watching the other people's lessons...
I've calmed down a lot- something to do with the fact that I'm in a rather lovely hotel which is actually cheaper than the local Premier Inn! (very materialistic aren't I??) Still finalising my lesson plan for tomorrow though.

I was glad to see the other lesson first in a way, as we were both teaching the future tense in different contexts, so being able to see that the other candidate dealt with teaching the formation (and how she did so) meant they knew what I was on about and I didn't have to waste time explaining it in detail again.

So seeing as nobody has had to watch another candidate's lesson I presume nobody's aware of the etiquette regarding being asked about the other person's lesson in the interview? Are you supposed to lay into them/say it was awesome/focus exclusively on why yours was better? What would you guys do? I just kind of babbled on about what I thought was good and how our teaching styles were different and ended with "but I think she should probably..."
Original post by balloon_parade
Thanks for the advice, yes my husband is fully supportive as he would rather me have something than nothing! And you're right. You're seaside adventure sounds lovely so far! I hope it remains so with a good outcome tomorrow, I have my fingers and toes crossed, good luck!

Oh my, I am so the same and by the sounds of it so is everyone on my course! Everyone is counting down the days! Motivation out the window! The thing I am looking forward to most is the not always having something to do and not feeling guilty about it when I do relax! Saying that, I'm doing a Forest school course in July and working all summer so it will be 3 weeks of relaxing! :tongue: What are you most excited about? Except the obvious...Qualified teacher thing :wink:

I am most looking forward to getting to know my family and friends again! My boyfriend is also doing a pgce so it will be nice to spend some quality time together doing normal things without -as you say- constantly feeling guilty.
I've calmed down a lot- something to do with the fact that I'm in a rather lovely hotel which is actually cheaper than the local Premier Inn! (very materialistic aren't I??) Still finalising my lesson plan for tomorrow though.

I was glad to see the other lesson first in a way, as we were both teaching the future tense in different contexts, so being able to see that the other candidate dealt with teaching the formation (and how she did so) meant they knew what I was on about and I didn't have to waste time explaining it in detail again.

So seeing as nobody has had to watch another candidate's lesson I presume nobody's aware of the etiquette regarding being asked about the other person's lesson in the interview? Are you supposed to lay into them/say it was awesome/focus exclusively on why yours was better? What would you guys do? I just kind of babbled on about what I thought was good and how our teaching styles were different and ended with "but I think she should probably..."

Did they ask you that?:eek: What a horrible thing to do! I'm very out of the loop, since it's 12 years since I applied for a job, but that's a very unfair position to put you in. FWIW, if I were asked that question, I'd make sure not to say anything negative, because they're really assessing you as a future colleague there, aren't they? Nasty, nasty, nasty. Poor you.:frown:

That's a very bizarre situation!! I've never heard of anyone being asked about another's candidate's lesson, let alone being made to watch another it!
I agree with CLR - assess but not negatively. I suppose that want to be able to see how you view things and if you're capable of picking up on certain points but not wanting you to tread on people's toes.

Very weird!
Just planned, resourced and flip-charted my final lessons of this placement. Yay!

Still got lots of little tasks to do, irritatingly, but I am getting there. Slowly but surely. :smile:
I'm employed!! Can't quite believe it!!

Oh, that's wonderful! Congratulations!
Reply 1357
Great stuff! Is this the school that a previous interview contacted about you? Networking is awesome! Congrats!

Congratulations! =D

Was this a place you interviewed at?

I've been offered another interview at a school which seems perfect for me - Hopefully this will be 7th time lucky...
Yeah it's the one I was 'recommended' for without having to apply but it worked out well in the end!

Good luck with your next interview Suzanathema :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending