The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Look no further than Evan Almighty.

I meant to give you positive rep for making me laugh
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Look no further than Evan Almighty.

To amend my point then, I'm struggling to think how Aronofsky wouldn't make it interesting. :p:
Reply 6642
I think it could be interesting. I'd imagine there would need to be a buildup to the point at which the arc is built. ie, the story starts with Noah and the dons in the arc, and then it goes back and retells the story? :dontknow: But it looks interesting :smile:

Edit: Anyone seen The Other Guys? :smile: It was on Sky Movies today so I watched it and it was actually hilarious. :rofl:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6643
Things like this please me greatly. It's a still of every single frame from the entire Harry Potter series, condensed into a barcode.

Reply 6644
Original post by aja89
Things like this please me greatly. It's a still of every single frame from the entire Harry Potter series, condensed into a barcode.

That is actually a pretty cool picture :h:
Reply 6645
Original post by Mess.
That is actually a pretty cool picture :h:

I just bought a massive poster of this one, it's Aladdin, it's my favourite Disney film, and it's also stunning!

Here's the website, there's hundreds of them. http://moviebarcode.tumblr.com/
Can anyone recommend me a lesser-known, Kubrick-esque sci-fi film for me? :smile:
Reply 6647
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Can anyone recommend me a lesser-known, Kubrick-esque sci-fi film for me? :smile:

Mr Nobody?

It's not really obscure, but Moon is probably the closest you'll get to a Kubrickesque modern sci-fi film (slow pacing, focus on deteriorating psychology, intentional subversion of 2001 tropes, etc.).
So I loved Prometheus... yeah loads of unexplained stuff but my God was it fun.
Original post by Abiraleft
Mr Nobody?

Original post by Christien
It's not really obscure, but Moon is probably the closest you'll get to a Kubrickesque modern sci-fi film (slow pacing, focus on deteriorating psychology, intentional subversion of 2001 tropes, etc.).
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check them both out. :yep:

I've seen some talk of Moon in this thread and from what you guys have said about it, it seems like a pretty interesting film. I haven't got round to watching it yet, though.
Reply 6651
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check them both out. :yep:

I've seen some talk of Moon in this thread and from what you guys have said about it, it seems like a pretty interesting film. I haven't got round to watching it yet, though.

You said 'lesser-known' so I automatically ruled out Moon. :lol: If you haven't seen it already, definitely check it out. :yep:

On that note, Blade Runner? :teehee:
You said 'lesser-known' so I automatically ruled out Moon. :lol: If you haven't seen it already, definitely check it out. :yep:

On that note, Blade Runner? :teehee:
I've already seen Blade Runner, a very enjoyable film, actually. I've just remembered Solaris, though, that's another one I haven't seen yet. Would that be worth watching? :holmes:
The original is.

Source Code is you haven't already seen it is also a good bet.
Reply 6654
I've already seen Blade Runner, a very enjoyable film, actually. I've just remembered Solaris, though, that's another one I haven't seen yet. Would that be worth watching? :holmes:

Yeah, I was just poking a bit of fun. :p:

I haven't seen Solaris yet, although it's a film I've wanted to watch for a while. Are you talking about Tarkovsky or Soderbergh?

If you're looking for sci-fi in general, I'd also highly recommend Metropolis if you haven't seen it already. :smile: Not exactly Kubrikesque (much before Kubrik :p:) but does transcend the conventions of the genre much like 2001.
Original post by Colonel.
The original is.

Source Code is you haven't already seen it is also a good bet.
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. :yep:

Yeah, I was just poking a bit of fun. :p:

I haven't seen Solaris yet, although it's a film I've wanted to watch for a while. Are you talking about Tarkovsky or Soderbergh?

If you're looking for sci-fi in general, I'd also highly recommend Metropolis if you haven't seen it already. :smile: Not exactly Kubrikesque (much before Kubrik :p:) but does transcend the conventions of the genre much like 2001.
Yeah, I was talking about the original Tarkovskiy version. I've never really liked the look of Soderbergh's remake, to be honest. :nah:

Oh, and Metropolis sounds quite interesting. I'll give that a gander, as well. :top:
Reply 6656
Something Prometheus related:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Spoilers tbh.
Reply 6658
Original post by Colonel.
Spoilers tbh.

Don't think people who haven't seen it yet would really get it/remember it whilst they were watching, but I've put it in spoiler tags just in case. :colondollar:
Exams are over and thought I'd get a free trial of Netflix.

Omg :coma: So much good stuff. Film selection is a little thin but soooo much good television. Goodbye being productive over the summer..

Quick Reply

Latest