The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tpxvs
Any idea how the post office travel money card compares to these? im torn between this, caxton and fair!!

I decided against the post office once since it charges 2 euros each time you use an ATM, but it depends if you're just going to spend on it and not get money out I guess :smile: I think if you were just going to use it to spend on in shops/cafes then they all work out fairly similar in terms of the exchange rate.

Any idea how safe they are, like if it was stolen do I lose all my money? Or would it be covered by the company / my insurance?

Ooh and you can make train reservations on raileurope.co.uk, or bahn.com, or with the rail company with which you want to travel (e.g. trenitalia for italy, OBB for Austria etc). You only have to reserve if it's a very popular train (like the eurostar / the express trains in France) or a night train really though. You can check if you need a compulsory reservation by putting the details in on the DB Bahn website and seeing if it has an R symbol next to it :wink: Hope this helps!
Also night train reservations are a little more tricky to do, I had to ring up DB Bahn to book mine (even though it wasn't a German train).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Soilwork
Currently in Berlin right now and having a great time. Despite the forecast, the weather has been great although I got sunburnt yesterday.

I'm travelling to Prague tomorrow so hopefully that will be just as good as Berlin.

Glad you're having fun! Keep us updated with how you're getting on :biggrin: Did you try any currywurst? :P
Reply 1142
Original post by 80243
Yes I think it said it would charge you 2.75% of any withdrawals that aren't in the currency that you buy. That seems to be a similar charge to other currency cards in that situation.

Only thing is that would conflict with their 'free cash withdrawals' claim. It must depend if an ATM withdrawal counts as a transaction. Im gonna ring up and ask i think!
Reply 1143
Original post by TheRandomer
I decided against the post office once since it charges 2 euros each time you use an ATM, but it depends if you're just going to spend on it and not get money out I guess :smile: I think if you were just going to use it to spend on in shops/cafes then they all work out fairly similar in terms of the exchange rate.

Any idea how safe they are, like if it was stolen do I lose all my money? Or would it be covered by the company / my insurance?

Ooh and you can make train reservations on raileurope.co.uk, or bahn.com, or with the rail company with which you want to travel (e.g. trenitalia for italy, OBB for Austria etc). You only have to reserve if it's a very popular train (like the eurostar / the express trains in France) or a night train really though. You can check if you need a compulsory reservation by putting the details in on the DB Bahn website and seeing if it has an R symbol next to it :wink: Hope this helps!
Also night train reservations are a little more tricky to do, I had to ring up DB Bahn to book mine (even though it wasn't a German train).

Any idea how late you can book reservations? Im going to france and cant seem to do it online :/ Ill be staying in each place 3/4 nights so would i be able to reserve these many days in advance do you think?
Reply 1144
Original post by pizzle223
I'm in Amsterdam on the 25th/26th, leaving for Berlin on the 26th with a 30 day pass :biggrin:

A tidy! You going in a group? What are your plans for Berlin? I'll be there for the Euro finals, would be amazing if Germany won it! (or if England played them in the final, which won't happen!)
Reply 1145
How much are people budgeting for their travels? I'm going to be starting in Basel mainly heading east and ending up in Croatia. Travelling for about a month? thanks!

also we are hoping to end our travels with some time on a croatian island, has anyone done this and if so which islands are better or worse? I'm travelling with my girlfriend and we will probably just want a few relaxing days after 3 weeks of travelling!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Holamigo
Anyone interested in travelling with me :smile: ?

Where you thinking of going?

Am looking to concentrate in Eastern Europe to try and keep the costs down, plus hopefully will get to see more that way opposed to blasting through as many countries as possible
Interrailing later this summer with two other 18 year old guys. We've paid for our flights, and will be getting an Interrail pass, but as yet we haven't booked any hostels or train reservations so our schedule is flexible within the flights we've booked.

Tue 21st Dublin > Berlin, 07:20-10:35
21st/22nd (2 nights) Berlin
Thurs 23rd Berlin > Prague, 08:45-13:26
23rd/24th (2 nights) Prague
Sat 25th (night) Prague > Krakow, 20:17-07:14
26th/27th (2n) Krakow
Tue 28th (night) Krakow > Budapest, 21:54-08:35
29th (night) Budapest
Thu 30th (night) Budapest > Ljubljana, 19:10-05:59 (1 swap, 1:30am)
31st (night) Ljubljana
Sat 1st Ljubljana > Bled, 09:45-11:29
1st (night) Bled
Sun 2nd (night) Bled > Florence, 19:18-06:55 (2 swaps; 9pm, 11pm)
Mon 3rd Florence
Mon 3rd Florence > Rome, 19:27-20:50
3rd/4th/5th (3 nights) Rome
Thu 6th Rome > Dublin, 11:00-13:00

In summary; Berlin - 2 days, Prague - 2 days & 1 evening, Krakow - 3 days, Budapest - 2 days, Ljubljana - 1 day, Bled - 2 days (a.11am d.7pm), Florence - 1 day (a.7am d. 7pm), Rome - 2 days & 1 morning (d. 11am).

We're just looking for some advice on what we need to see or do in each place, or whether we're spending too much or too little time in each place. Also, recommendations for cheap (but decent) hostels would be much appreciated.
FREAKING OUT have been unable to mae a reservation over the phone for the 18th for the overnight train from Budapest to Belgrade, because it is too near the time to get posted on time. I would be able to make a reservation there?

Also from Belgrade to Vienna on the 21st overnight?

Argggh! Meeting up with someone on Vienna.

Thanks.
Bought my bag today! Will try it out by packing it up tonight or tomorrow morning... I leave on Tuesday. I've got excitement in me but mainly feeling really homesick for my boyfriend, got to see him for a couple weeks straight after he finished his exams, now not seeing him for about 6 weeks. Agh :frown:
Original post by Curly_hair_girl
FREAKING OUT have been unable to mae a reservation over the phone for the 18th for the overnight train from Budapest to Belgrade, because it is too near the time to get posted on time. I would be able to make a reservation there?

Also from Belgrade to Vienna on the 21st overnight?

Argggh! Meeting up with someone on Vienna.

Thanks.

We made our reservation on the overnighter from Berlin to Krakow in person, the day before. You should be fine.
Original post by ChunkyChunkyChunky
Interrailing later this summer with two other 18 year old guys. We've paid for our flights, and will be getting an Interrail pass, but as yet we haven't booked any hostels or train reservations so our schedule is flexible within the flights we've booked.

Tue 21st Dublin > Berlin, 07:20-10:35
21st/22nd (2 nights) Berlin
Thurs 23rd Berlin > Prague, 08:45-13:26
23rd/24th (2 nights) Prague
Sat 25th (night) Prague > Krakow, 20:17-07:14
26th/27th (2n) Krakow
Tue 28th (night) Krakow > Budapest, 21:54-08:35
29th (night) Budapest
Thu 30th (night) Budapest > Ljubljana, 19:10-05:59 (1 swap, 1:30am)
31st (night) Ljubljana
Sat 1st Ljubljana > Bled, 09:45-11:29
1st (night) Bled
Sun 2nd (night) Bled > Florence, 19:18-06:55 (2 swaps; 9pm, 11pm)
Mon 3rd Florence
Mon 3rd Florence > Rome, 19:27-20:50
3rd/4th/5th (3 nights) Rome
Thu 6th Rome > Dublin, 11:00-13:00

In summary; Berlin - 2 days, Prague - 2 days & 1 evening, Krakow - 3 days, Budapest - 2 days, Ljubljana - 1 day, Bled - 2 days (a.11am d.7pm), Florence - 1 day (a.7am d. 7pm), Rome - 2 days & 1 morning (d. 11am).

We're just looking for some advice on what we need to see or do in each place, or whether we're spending too much or too little time in each place. Also, recommendations for cheap (but decent) hostels would be much appreciated.

I did a pretty similar route last summer.

Out of all those places, Budapest, Ljubljana and Bled were all of our favourites and we even changed our route so we could longer in these cities. Even though there isn't that much to do in the latter (apart from admire the amazing scenery, of course) we thought that a couple of days chilling by the lake was perfect as it recharged our batteries. We we so exhaused mid trip.
There is an amazing hostel in Bled ran by this guy called Tom (sorry, can't remember the name). But he is so welcoming and went out of his way to show us around etc. Would recommend to everyone.
Original post by Matt :)
A tidy! You going in a group? What are your plans for Berlin? I'll be there for the Euro finals, would be amazing if Germany won it! (or if England played them in the final, which won't happen!)

Lucky you! Sadly in my stupidity I forgot to mention that I'm going in July, not June!

You going at it alone? I am.
Original post by neddricofthetenth
Where you thinking of going?

Am looking to concentrate in Eastern Europe to try and keep the costs down, plus hopefully will get to see more that way opposed to blasting through as many countries as possible

Hey!

I'm traveling next month (from the 25th)

I'll mainly be in Eastern Europe!

Got anything planned yet?
49 days to gooo!!

Have decided that I'm not going to buy a pass after all as I'm going to be sticking purely to Eastern Europe and have heard countless time that travel is so cheap there. Am I making the right decision?

I'm going for 3-4 weeks, starting in Krakow (Poland) and then working my way down, hopefully visiting Bratislava (Slovakia), Budapest (Hungary), Ljubljana (Slovenia), Zagreb (Croatia), Sarajevo (Bosnia & Herzegovina), Dubrovnik (Croatia) along the way. Just a rough idea though, I don't really do planning out!

If anyone has any other suggestions on where to visit or advice on travelling in Eastern Europe as a solo female.. I'd be so grateful if you could share! :smile:
I'm going around Eastern/Central Europe in the next few weeks hopefully. Will be travelling on trains but not getting an interrail pass :smile:

Original post by sophiemay20
49 days to gooo!!

Have decided that I'm not going to buy a pass after all as I'm going to be sticking purely to Eastern Europe and have heard countless time that travel is so cheap there. Am I making the right decision?

I'm going for 3-4 weeks, starting in Krakow (Poland) and then working my way down, hopefully visiting Bratislava (Slovakia), Budapest (Hungary), Ljubljana (Slovenia), Zagreb (Croatia), Sarajevo (Bosnia & Herzegovina), Dubrovnik (Croatia) along the way. Just a rough idea though, I don't really do planning out!

If anyone has any other suggestions on where to visit or advice on travelling in Eastern Europe as a solo female.. I'd be so grateful if you could share! :smile:

Your pretty much doing the same as me then! :smile: I don't know when you planning to go but it would be quite nice to have someone to share tips/hints with if you fancy pm'ing me :smile:
Original post by pizzle223
Hey!

I'm traveling next month (from the 25th)

I'll mainly be in Eastern Europe!

Got anything planned yet?

Yea, I've booked flights to Budapest for the 5th of July, then heading to Siofok, Zagreb, then down to Dubrovnik. Might make a few stops in between. Where are you thinking of heading to?

Cannot wait
As am leaving real soon am going to be flooding this place with questions so it would be so kind if you could humour me haha.

So flying to Budapest on the 5th where I will be looking to stay at the home made hostel which I have herd many good things about. The heading to Lake Balaton or to be more precise Siofok which I herd is meant to be the Ibiza of Eastern Europe (not sure of that is a good or bad thing). Having problems trying to book a bus or train from Budapest to Siofok, any ideas people?

Also...money...what is the best thing to do. I do not fancy racking up considerable debt via overseas account charges. Is it better to get a credit card?

Sorry for all the questions.
Feeling sick with apprehension. :frown: Leave on Tuesday.
Reply 1159
Right, I've just signed up on here as it would be great to get some help regarding my impending interrailing expedition.

Currently looking at going away for 16 days. Flying out somewhere, staying 3 days - then doin the 5 travel days in 10 - before staying a final 3 days in the final destination. Is that how the 5 in 10 interrailing pass works?

Also, I've travelled very, very little of Europe so any advice on destinations would be great.

The only destination I am not interested is Amsterdam as I have already been (loved it though) and am not looking at any western countries such as France, Spain, Portugal.

Currently looking at this:
Fly to Berlin. Then Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Zagreb, Ljubljana.

I would however if possible like to reach the Adriatic Coast and end in Split/Dubrovnik.

Has anyone else done interrailing for 2-3 weeks and if so where did you go/where did you like?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest