The Student Room Group

A level choices and career hopes- care to share?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy96
Just thought I'd ask everyone what A levels they plan to take and what career you'd like to do if you get the required grades :biggrin: I'm interested in doing Biology, Chemistry, History and English Literature :smile: Then hopefully going on to do a degree in Veterinary Medicine or Zoology(which there aren't many decent jobs available for in the UK sadly!) :frown:

I'm doing Biology, Chem, Politics & English Lang & lit combined. A weird combination, I know. But I don't know whether I want to go down the medicine route or the politics/professor/journalist route? Anyone in the same position as me? I'm so confused.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 241
to anyone who wants to study medicine at university, i recommend you watch or maybe ask this youtube mans video because i think he's a motivator and really is helpful

http://www.youtube.com/user/NtUrTypicalMedStudnt?feature=watch
Original post by Scott_eth
The plan next year is to do A Levels in;
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Government & Politics.

And then I'm stuck. I really don't know what I want to do after that. Medicine is the obvious route, and that appealed to me for a long time, but I don't know if I'd really enjoy it. There's also the idea of Law, which I like, Or I could do a Law & Politics degree, but then I don't know how good that actually looks, compared to a pure law degree?

I'm confused. xD

Same here! I'm doing Politics, bio, chem & English. I'm relatively good at sciences, so everyone's like I isn't as well don't and get a stable career, but I'm not sure I enjoy it. I enjoy politics and English, and would love to be a journalist/NGO worker but I know it's not going to be a stable career. I have relatives who did a pure law degree and are currently finding it hard to find a job. After the law degree I'm guessing you either go to Bar school, become a solicitor, right? Would you enjoy something like that? I guess we're both stuck then... :/

I've done French, Business, Geography, Psychology and Sociology to A2-Level... Doing International Business with French and Spanish next year!

Still not entirely sure what I want to do, maybe something in advertising or eventually publishing/editing...

Who knows :rolleyes:
I'm doing fine art, art textiles, geography, spanish & world dev. Want to go into some aspect of fashion; merchandising, marketing or promotion or surface pattern/ textiles! Unsure whether to do a foundation before uni?

Original post by LauraEmilyT
I'm doing fine art, art textiles, geography, spanish & world dev. Want to go into some aspect of fashion; merchandising, marketing or promotion or surface pattern/ textiles! Unsure whether to do a foundation before uni?

What's world dev? 😁

Original post by Stiffmeister
where's the maths?

You do not need maths :colonhash:
Don't reply saying that it is compulsory or almost so - I won't respond :wink:
Original post by Hero-H
Nice choice of subjects!

I'm doing Biology Chemistry and History too!

I'm considering swapping Maths for Economics!

Thanks - I'm really pleased with the options! Excited about studying them later this year... my final GCSE exam is tomorrow so it'll be results before we know it.
I like the idea of Economics - it is such an important thing that can ruin whole nations yet I know little about it.
Good luck in the future! :excited:
Reply 248
I'm going to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. :smile:

I'm hoping to go into Dentistry but for the past couple of weeks I've been having doubts...If I didn't apply for Dentistry I have no idea what else I would want to do. :confused:
Just done ASs in Bio, Chem, Physics, and History, and want to do a degree in chemistry/medicinal chemistry or somethin'
Reply 250

I'm taking French, English lit, textiles and then I am not sure whether to do art as well or take something else. I know I would love it, and I want to do something to do with textiles or maybe advertising, but every time I say I'm taking art and textiles people like keel over in shock because the coursework would be BAD. I don't know. I currently don't take geography or history, so if I don't take art, I'm left with taking classical civilisations or RS because maths and science is not really my thing. I really don't know!

Original post by slaughterthedaises
What's world dev? 😁

World development a course by wjec, about poverty & all that, did my geog a yr early so had to do it to fill in year 11 now doing the A2

Original post by fummon
I'm taking French, English lit, textiles and then I am not sure whether to do art as well or take something else. I know I would love it, and I want to do something to do with textiles or maybe advertising, but every time I say I'm taking art and textiles people like keel over in shock because the coursework would be BAD. I don't know. I currently don't take geography or history, so if I don't take art, I'm left with taking classical civilisations or RS because maths and science is not really my thing. I really don't know!

I know I want to do it, despite peoples perceptions, especially as it's seen as a tough industry, in the tough economic climate, aswell as being one of the more less academic subjects, but in going with it, I mean I could use Spanish & geog & to fashion around Spain etc. u look at points tho for uni like Huddersfield my top choice u need 300 points so it can't be that of a 'un academic subject' maths, science, English are all subjects I hate so..
Have u looked into uni's ?

Reply 253
I know I want to do it, despite peoples perceptions, especially as it's seen as a tough industry, in the tough economic climate, aswell as being one of the more less academic subjects, but in going with it, I mean I could use Spanish & geog & to fashion around Spain etc. u look at points tho for uni like Huddersfield my top choice u need 300 points so it can't be that of a 'un academic subject' maths, science, English are all subjects I hate so..
Have u looked into uni's ?

Yes, this is my problem! It's so hard to get a job in art and fashion, thats not teaching haha, that it makes me want to pick 'safer' subjects. I haven't looked into uni's, I really need to, I would love to carry textiles on at but I'm not sure if I would want to do fashion design, again because of very few available jobs. I also don't want to end up being an art/textiles teacher!

I'm on the verge of completing my college application, but can you guys tell me what a Data Number is? Which is placed on the top right of the form. Thanks
Sociology, Psychology, Politics and History... want to either do a Criminology or Law degree and join the Police Service, eventually reaching the highest ranks I can in uniform
World development a course by wjec, about poverty & all that, did my geog a yr early so had to do it to fill in year 11 now doing the A2

Woah! I'm doing geography, and I love the development unit. It's so interesting. Is it recognised as something prestigious?

Reply 257
A levels - Maths Business Chemistry
Degree - Economics
Career - investment banking
I'm taking English Literature, English Language, History and Government & Politics at AS. If I drop one at A2, it'll be Politics.

My goal is to become an author. I'm planning to take English Literature/English at university.
Original post by fummon
Yes, this is my problem! It's so hard to get a job in art and fashion, thats not teaching haha, that it makes me want to pick 'safer' subjects. I haven't looked into uni's, I really need to, I would love to carry textiles on at but I'm not sure if I would want to do fashion design, again because of very few available jobs. I also don't want to end up being an art/textiles teacher!

Haha yea I completely relate to all u just said, I wouldn't mind being a teacher but I'd be crap at it I have no authority, I do a job at school & patrol around the site kicking people out of buildings/ toilets & the amount of back chat we get from every1 younger is ridiculous! I wouldn't know what other degree/ career I'd choose tho.
Well I've looked into uni my top 3 are Huddersfield, Northumbria, Lincoln I think they look good for fashion so..

Quick Reply

Latest