The Student Room Group

Crystal meth

I know that methamphetamine is quite commonly found in the U.S., but I was wondering whether anyone knew how prevalent it was in Britain? It seems to be the scourge of the drug world, from what I've seen. The creme de la creme of addictive destructiveness. And yet many people seem to be unaware of its existence. Anyone on TSR had experience with it?

EDIT - Scary meth film:

(It seems evident to me that government and media condemnation of softer 'drugs' - i.e. cannabis - through propaganda schemes has diminishing returns by making teenagers and other vulnerable people believe that they are also lying about the damaging effects of meth. We should be working to educate accurately, instead of throwing a blanket over all drugs and treating them as being indistinguishable from each other.)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i know some people who've done it, personally ive avoided it like the plague though
Reply 2
Original post by Suetonius
I know that methamphetamine is quite commonly found in the U.S., but I was wondering whether anyone knew how prevalent it was in Britain? It seems to be the scourge of the drug world, from what I've seen. The creme de la creme of addictive destructiveness.

I think desomorphine might top it on that front.
Reply 3
Original post by cl_steele
i knew some people who've done it, personally ive avoided it like the plague though

Fixed haha
I don't think its prevalent in the UK at all, it also still has a stigma attached to it even among casual drug users. I have heard stories of it being fairly common among students in the US though, pretty scary when you think about it.
Reply 5
It is a scary drug, but it probably isn't taken as seriously as it should be because of stuff like this:
[video="youtube;RekCBUDXNjw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RekCBUDXNjw[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I don't know anyone who's used despite knowing people who've used pretty much everything else. No other drugs quite seem to have ripped apart parts of the USA like meth has (apart from where there's a massive concentration of of H and crack users), it's worrying how widespread it's use seems to be over there. There's a another drug that's popped up in Southern America in the last few years called Oxi too, which is even more scary, more addictive, very hallucinogenic and more health side-effects.
I don't think its as prevalent in the UK but whenever I think of meth, this song pops into my head.

Oooh Meth, mmm Meth!
Reply 9
Original post by Crushy
I think desomorphine might top it on that front.

isnt that a form or morphine?
Reply 10
Original post by cl_steele
isnt that a form or morphine?

It's an opiate, not a form of morphine though. No more so than heroin.
Reply 11
This was an education campaign done to show the effects of meth. The first picture you see is the persons first ever arrest. The second one when you hover over...that's what meth'll do. SEXY!

http://www.facesofmeth.us/main.htm

Also, if you really just love the methface look:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/gallery/gallery-e6frewxi-1226105853200?page=5
(edited 11 years ago)
Crystal meth isn't that readily available inside the UK, but apparently it's incredibly easy to make if you're a chemist (according to someone who said that their professor of some description knew how to make it but wouldn't tell him how).

Not for me.

Original post by DaveSmith99
x

The Independent are about as informed concerning Krokodil as the granny who lives down the street from me is (that article contains several factual errors).

Don't listen to the mainstream media if you want information on drugs, look on erowid or somewhere similar.
Original post by Drunk Punx

The Independent are about as informed concerning Krokodil as the granny who lives down the street from me is (that article contains several factual errors).

Don't listen to the mainstream media if you want information on drugs, look on erowid or somewhere similar.

I have read about quite a lot about krokodil in the past from different sources, I just googled krokodil and that's the first link that came up :colondollar:
Reply 14
What would compel someone to try crystal meth?
Original post by DaveSmith99
I have read about quite a lot about krokodil in the past from different sources, I just googled krokodil and that's the first link that came up :colondollar:

Ahh right. In which case I guess you can be excused... :colone:
Original post by Suetonius
What would compel someone to try crystal meth?

What would compel anyone to try any drug?
For the experience?
Peer pressure?
Simple inquisition (though not of the Spanish variety)?

Many reasons. Same reasons people feel the need to try crack and heroin, I guess.

No pills, no powders: if it grows in the ground, you're as sound as a pound (although I would like to try many synthesised psychedelics).
Reply 17
Krokodil looks a lot more destructive. I thought meth was very well known, probably in the top 5 most well known drugs.

Here's a story about experience with meth, which talks about why he wanted to take it and how addictive it was.
Reply 18
Reply 19
Oxi:

" cocaine paste, gasoline, kerosene and quicklime (calcium oxide)"

Christ sake man haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending