The Student Room Group

Worth applying next year?

I need to know before summer so I can tell my year head about UCAS needing to be in early.

Anyway I want to study chemistry and have been mulling over applying next year to one of the oxbridge universitys but due to problems with my school I could only do 4 Highers (Scottish Student) in 5th year and while I am almost positive I got AAAA in them, the entry requirements say I need AAAAA or AAAAB. I did Higher Maths, Computing, Chemistry and Biology. Next year I'm going to do AH Biology and Chemistry along with Highers in Physics, English and Modern Studies. This should cover the 6th year requirements (timetabling issues means I can't do 3 AH's so I'm doing 2 highers in place of Maths)

If I get AAAA would I still have a chance on getting called for an interview assuming I have a decent P.S and perhaps mention that I couldn't do 5 Highers in 5th year?
Just wondering but why could you only do 4 highers?
Reply 2
Original post by SneakyDoug
Just wondering but why could you only do 4 highers?

English is compulsory and I only got a 3 at standard grade. So I did int2
Original post by TheFOMaster
I need to know before summer so I can tell my year head about UCAS needing to be in early.

Anyway I want to study chemistry and have been mulling over applying next year to one of the oxbridge universitys but due to problems with my school I could only do 4 Highers (Scottish Student) in 5th year and while I am almost positive I got AAAA in them, the entry requirements say I need AAAAA or AAAAB. I did Higher Maths, Computing, Chemistry and Biology. Next year I'm going to do AH Biology and Chemistry along with Highers in Physics, English and Modern Studies. This should cover the 6th year requirements (timetabling issues means I can't do 3 AH's so I'm doing 2 highers in place of Maths)

If I get AAAA would I still have a chance on getting called for an interview assuming I have a decent P.S and perhaps mention that I couldn't do 5 Highers in 5th year?

It depends on the reason, of course, but if it was your school's fault you should not be disadvantaged *in any way* so long as you tell the uni and get the school to back you up too.
Reply 4
Original post by Junaid96
It depends on the reason, of course, but if it was your school's fault you should not be disadvantaged *in any way* so long as you tell the uni and get the school to back you up too.

Suppose it's my fault, for not getting the grade I needed to do the 5th Higher, but the school didn't offer any alternate subject for me to do a Higher in.

So assume it's my fault. And I won't get backup from the school.
Original post by TheFOMaster
Suppose it's my fault, for not getting the grade I needed to do the 5th Higher, but the school didn't offer any alternate subject for me to do a Higher in.

So assume it's my fault. And I won't get backup from the school.

Not your fault then, at least, you can 'twist' the story a little to make it seem like it's not your fault). Just say on your personal statement "my school was unable to offer <insert subject you may have 'wanted' to taken>" (it can be any old subject if your school couldn't offer ANY alternate one).
Reply 6
So if I say "I had planned to do Higher Modern Studies in 5th year, however due to timetabling issues I had to take English in the column I had hoped to take it in" I might have a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest