The Student Room Group

Sociology OCR A2 -'Crime + Deviance' and 'Social inequality + difference' (G673+G674)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cookiemonster121
could someone outline to me the realists views both right and left and the concepts and studies that are key

Left realism:

Lea and Young's explanation to why young people commit crime:

3 main concepts:

Relative Deprivation- WC youth feel deprived compared to middle class youth in terms of status etc

Marginalisation- WC youth feel marginalised and negative treatment by police makes em feel more marginalised

Subcultures- Those who experience those two concepts above may form deviant subcultures with deviant norms nd values.

Right Realism

Underclass theory ( Charles Murray)
Rational choice theory (Clarke)
Control theory ( Hirschi)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by k4m4r
Left realism:

Lea and Young's explanation to why young people commit crime:

3 main concepts:

Relative Deprivation- WC youth feel deprived compared to middle class youth in terms of status etc

Marginalisation- WC youth feel marginalised and negative treatment by police makes em feel more marginalised

Subcultures- Those who experience those two concepts above may form deviant subcultures with deviant norms nd values.

Right Realism

Underclass theory ( Charles Murray)
Rational choice theory (Clarke)
Control theory ( Hirschi)

Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Guys, i really doubt marxism is going to come up tommorow!!

http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_11/ocr_65426_ms_11_gce_ug673_jun.pdf?

look at the mark scheme for last summer. It just describes marxism.

"Candidates are expected to demonstrate knowledge and understanding that the viewpoint
is from a Marxist perspective. "
Reply 43
hey guys wt about New Right explanations and Left Realist solutions to crime??
i think these are very likely to come up as well!:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I predicted 1 out of three (Victims surveys). Ironically I wasn't as prepared for it as I was for Left Realism but both were good questions for me. I'm happy but I don't want to be too optimistic because that usually means I screwed up.
Nice one predicting the Victim Surveys, that was one of the first things I revised because you said it might come up. I think I did alright in that exam, especially for 3 hours revision, hopefully will get a C/B.
Reply 46
Glad that left realist and victim surveys both turned up:smile:
I always think questions like the second one are horrible

Original post by Ohisee123

LOL I loved the second one, Heidensohn, Smart....I could go on and on!!
Original post by Ohisee123

I agree lol. The second question would have been a nightmare for me to answer.
hold the phone a sec, where did the 'realist' theories come up in a question?.
mine were:
victimization-15 marks
role of police or a question on interactionism-45 marks
bloody horrible questions tbh.
also, anyone else notice how the questions were all repeated from the january paper?
i mean literally all three just jumbled in a new order.
Original post by pandaboo92
hey guys, i'm revising for G674 and i don't know where to start :frown: I'm ok on Class inequality, but on age, ethnicity and gender, i'm abit shaky :/ also, on feminism as a theory and realism, i'm stumped and the materials i have dont seem to help :frown: it's like i can't organise the information and everything's like too disorganised to revise. Helpp!!

I know it's a bit late but the Collins guides are really good. Also try Sociology Exchange online. I think the best way is to make your own more comprehensive set of notes and organise everything by spec-point. The syllabus is available on the OCR website. :smile:
Reply 52
Has anyone got any tips for g674? Not necessarily what may come up, but ways to answer the essays?
Reply 53
Hiya, I know no one will be able to give me an exact answer as I don't know ny exact marks/ UMS points...

Basically, I HATE sociology, regret taking it blablabla...

I need a D in it overall in order to go to uni, in the first module, I got an A (20% of final grade), 2nd module C (30%), 3rd module E (20%, although I did resit this yesterday and hopefully got higher, but in the case that I somehow got an E again or worse) ...it is obvious how much my motivation has increasingly decreased :tongue:

Can anybody somehow estimate what I need in this crime and deviance exam on Tuesday in order to get a D overall? Or is it impossible to tell without exact marks?
Thanks anyway :biggrin:
Original post by Amy284
Hiya, I know no one will be able to give me an exact answer as I don't know ny exact marks/ UMS points...

Basically, I HATE sociology, regret taking it blablabla...

I need a D in it overall in order to go to uni, in the first module, I got an A (20% of final grade), 2nd module C (30%), 3rd module E (20%, although I did resit this yesterday and hopefully got higher, but in the case that I somehow got an E again or worse) ...it is obvious how much my motivation has increasingly decreased :tongue:

Can anybody somehow estimate what I need in this crime and deviance exam on Tuesday in order to get a D overall? Or is it impossible to tell without exact marks?
Thanks anyway :biggrin:

think you need a D.... you may be on a D already
Reply 55
Dods anyone know if in the inequality paper we have to link every Q back to the source material? or only specif Q's?

Reply 56
I think only the first two questions based on methods need to be linked back to the source material. I'm predicting that age and gender will come up, and also quantitative methods in particular content analysis perhaps. I'm only learning gender and age and if neither of them come up then I'm screwed!!
Reply 57
Original post by SD12
I think only the first two questions based on methods need to be linked back to the source material. I'm predicting that age and gender will come up, and also quantitative methods in particular content analysis perhaps. I'm only learning gender and age and if neither of them come up then I'm screwed!!

I remember that quantitative methods had set in Jun 2010:s-smilie:maybe qualitative methods has higher chance:confused:
Reply 58
You only have to use the source material for questions 1 & 2 :smile:

Reply 59
My predictions for the unit 4 paper:
Quantitative methods
And most liked either age or gender :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending