Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

BA Hons Social Work as a Specialism for Journalism?

    • Thread Starter


    I'm a 34 year old male IT specialist, planning to enter university education for the first time in 2013. I'm doing an Access to HE course this September in Scotland.

    I have two strong interests:

    - Social work. It's a good fit for my personal values and aptitudes and I'm attracted by the vocational nature of the course (good job prospects in Scotland). Especially as I'll be getting on for 40 when I graduate.

    - Broadcast journalism. I have a dream to work in news or documentary at a national channel or large production studio. But, I'm really concerned about doing the BA in Broadcast Journalism, and then trying to break into this notoriously competitive field with no backup job plan at the age of 40 (still young yes, but surely not ideal). I have *no* interest in working freelance (numerous years of that under my belt already in IT).

    So, I'm considering doing the BA in Social Work, so that I can get a solid job which interests me as a social worker, and then an accredited MA Broadcast Journalism giving me the option to try for jobs in that field too. I'm figuring this would give me an intriguing, practical journalistic specialism that would be highly relevant in modern day Britain, and a good job to fall back on if journalism doesn't work out.

    Sound crazy? Sound wise?

    Do you think a "vocational" (not purely academic like History or Politics) undergrad degree like this might disadvantage me in journalism?

    At 40 would I be overlooked by the broadcasters for entry level jobs?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

How many mugs of tea do you drink a day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.