The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unientry2012
Oh your brilliant, your explanation brought back memories of my teacher explaining. Thanks x

LOOOl ty & np =)
Original post by onlyyouknowbest
Or you could talk about the 'Clean car programme' if that example is too difficult to remember!

The clean car programme basically got rid of all cars in the subways in the USA and were only returned to its owners after graffiti was removed...this was an effective form of environmental crime prevention as it ultimately abolished graffiti in subways! (Environmental crime prevention is influenced by Wilson and Kelling's article on broken windows) ...

clean car and bus terminal, you got it. I think I'd briefly remember them both.

And the criticism is it doesnt reduce crime it just displaces it. Would that be the same for the clean car one?
Reply 842
You guys I really need help!! PLEASE do any of you have useful notes on victims of crime, age representations of crime and social class? Id highly appreciate it!!!!
Original post by coolasacucumber
And the criticism is it doesnt reduce crime it just displaces it. Would that be the same for the clean car one?

Probably, if you were grafitti'ing the same thing, only for a policy to change it from, not working, then you'd probably move elsewhere. Just moves them to another target.

Arguably, most crime prevention strategies don't work unless harsh punishment or a crackdown is enforced but then all the theories jump in, saying that you are targetting them specifically for age, gender, class, ethnicity etc. and causes more hassle.
What would you write about age and crime?! I have no notes on this! Help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah it is. It simply moves crime rather than getting rid of it completely :smile:
Oh your so kind to answer, thank you :biggrin:

You're welcome :smile: If you need any help feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by Catherine:)

This wasn't in my textbook (as far as i am aware) so i asked my teacher and all he said was you know that it relates to young people committing more crime and that crime is generally relative to the people committing the crime.
Reply 848
Could someone explain the "broken windows" theory to me?
If a question on media and crime were to come up would it ask for a certain part of that e.g. "Assess the role/effect of media representations on crime" or a broader question like "Assess the relationship between mass media and crime?" I'm so confused :frown:

Original post by Catherine:)

Original post by JamesR1993
This wasn't in my textbook (as far as i am aware) so i asked my teacher and all he said was you know that it relates to young people committing more crime and that crime is generally relative to the people committing the crime.

Status fustration, matriarchal families, boys having no male role models so they turn to sub cluture, for the thrill, peer pressure & Miller and the w/c sub culture
Original post by Azii
Could someone explain the "broken windows" theory to me?

Wilson and Kellings argues that society needs to maintain orderly character to prevent crime. So for example if a window breaks fix it immidiatly so then the 'deviants' will see that its not acceptable as opposed to leaving it so then they think they can do it and get away with it.

Hope that makes sense
Original post by walkhms
You guys I really need help!! PLEASE do any of you have useful notes on victims of crime, age representations of crime and social class? Id highly appreciate it!!!!

Fem and marx take a critical approach look at how vulnerable groups become victims. The other is positivist approach and look at why some groups end up as victims.

Being victims can have implications e.g pshchological effects, also the victim can become a victim of the justice system(state) aswell for example rape victims have to stand and testify to proved they were raped.

Social class obv w/c are seen as the mos deviant. Miller says there born into it. Deprivation and status fustration can lead to the w/c commtting crime. Urrm marxism says ruling class are greedy looking to maximise profits so thats why they'd resort to corporate crime. R/C are less likely to face the law/get caught

I'll most probably edit it 2moro, im tired atm so it might be a pile of shet xD LOL
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FishOuttaWater
If a question on media and crime were to come up would it ask for a certain part of that e.g. "Assess the role/effect of media representations on crime" or a broader question like "Assess the relationship between mass media and crime?" I'm so confused :frown:

LOOOL your best bet is to just prepare for both, as they could ask for both.
Reply 854
Wilson and Kellings argues that society needs to maintain orderly character to prevent crime. So for example if a window breaks fix it immidiatly so then the 'deviants' will see that its not acceptable as opposed to leaving it so then they think they can do it and get away with it.

Hope that makes sense

Ah that makes perfect sense, thanks mate :smile:
Reply 855
could someone explain 'global risk consciousness' :s-smilie: ?
Reply 856
Original post by Mariya786
could someone explain 'global risk consciousness' :s-smilie: ?

Lol never heard of that, you doing an all nighter tonight?
Original post by Azii
Lol never heard of that, you doing an all nighter tonight?

Think quite a few people might be haha i know i am. I'm playing Minecraft to keep me pre-occupied as well :tongue:
Reply 858
Original post by JamesR1993
Think quite a few people might be haha i know i am. I'm playing Minecraft to keep me pre-occupied as well :tongue:

Haha how much more you gotta learn? I still gotta learn Crime prevention and all of theory and methods, and revise for my maths exam on thursday.. Ive had about 6 caffeine pills and on my second can of monster haha
LOOOL your best bet is to just prepare for both, as they could ask for both.

Aggh I actually want to cry. I feel so overwhelmed. There's too much to know! What are the actual chances of Media coming up... What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending