The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I did not know there was a Madagascar 3.
Reply 6721
Original post by Mess.
When I first saw The Italian Job I thought it was a pretty poor film and the ending really annoyed me. Not because it was left as a 'cliffhanger' but because the physics of the whole situation were moronic, there was no attempt to form a cohesive cliffhanger :colonhash:

The rest of the film felt like a little bit of a mess if I am honest as well. Out of the films were Michael Caine plays Michael Caine, I think Alfie might be one of my favourites.

I do think it got pretty muddled as it went, and really drawn out towards the end. I was quite entertained by some of the dialogue in the earlier part of the film ('Yes, I used machine guns') but I also think it was pretty poorly executed in general. I think I might have been swayed a bit because I expected to like it, it being generally highly regarded and all. :colondollar:

Original post by Colonel.
I did not know there was a Madagascar 3.

Lucky you, tbh. :p:
Original post by Mess.
When I first saw The Italian Job I thought it was a pretty poor film and the ending really annoyed me. Not because it was left as a 'cliffhanger' but because the physics of the whole situation were moronic, there was no attempt to form a cohesive cliffhanger :colonhash:

The rest of the film felt like a little bit of a mess if I am honest as well. Out of the films were Michael Caine plays Michael Caine, I think Alfie might be one of my favourites.

To be fair to them the ending was pretty hard to write, I believe it was being filmed at a time when criminals couldn't be shown to profit on screen but they didn't want to end on a downer either. The cliffhanger is a decent compromise, although I'm not sure what you mean by the physics being moronic. :unsure:

I really like it as a film. It's a lot of fun, but you need to go in with the right expectations of it being fairly simple entertainment rather than high art.
Original post by Abiraleft
Also, watched The Italian Job (1979) last night; thought it was fairly enjoyable, although perhaps a little shoddily executed. :p:
1969 not 1979. :fyi:

I love the original Italian Job. Michael Caine was born for that role, to be honest. :yep:
Reply 6724
Original post by Phalanges
To be fair to them the ending was pretty hard to write, I believe it was being filmed at a time when criminals couldn't be shown to profit on screen but they didn't want to end on a downer either. The cliffhanger is a decent compromise, although I'm not sure what you mean by the physics being moronic. :unsure:

I really like it as a film. It's a lot of fun, but you need to go in with the right expectations of it being fairly simple entertainment rather than high art.

The way the van is tipping and the gold moving and the people in the van interacting with these two things follow absolutely zero logic at all, even within the world itself. It is a completely random sequence that takes me right out of the film.

It has been that long since I last watched it that I can't describe quite as well as it annoyed me at the time :mmm:
Reply 6725
Original post by PoGo HoPz
1969 not 1979. :fyi:

I love the original Italian Job. Michael Caine was born for that role, to be honest. :yep:

Ah, that's why it seemed so primitive. :ahee:

I liked Michael Caine in it, and like I said, was fairly entertained by the film, but I don't think it's something I would pick out to watch again unless I wanted to see it specifically. But there's time for that to change: I haven't had much of a think about the film yet, and might yet watch it again in the not-so-distant future to facilitate a better opinion. :dontknow:
Reply 6726
What do you all think of Lars von Triers movies? They creep me out and I can not watch any more of his films. I would say he is pretty good at creating and maintaining the atmosphere but that is the very thing that leaves me dreadfully depressed every time. Perhaps I should just refrain from watching his films but I can not fight my curiosity.

I apologise for my english in case if some word combinations seem bizzare, it is not my mother tongue but I am doing my best.
Reply 6727
What would be a decent sci fi film to watch, considering I have already seen (from memory):

Children of Men
Star Wars
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Source Code
and some others that I can't remember :mmm:

Oh I haven't seen the Kubrick? film, A Space Odyssey or something. Is it as good as it gets rated :beard:
Reply 6728
Original post by Na-dia

I apologise for my english in case if some word combinations seem bizzare, it is not my mother tongue but I am doing my best.

Don't worry about it. :biggrin: Welcome to TSR!

What do you all think of Lars von Triers movies? They creep me out and I can not watch any more of his films. I would say he is pretty good at creating and maintaining the atmosphere but that is the very thing that leaves me dreadfully depressed every time. Perhaps I should just refrain from watching his films but I can not fight my curiosity.

I haven't seen any of his films, but he's a director I've heard quite a lot about, and would like to explore. :holmes:
Original post by Mess.
What would be a decent sci fi film to watch, considering I have already seen (from memory):

Children of Men
Star Wars
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Source Code

Oh I haven't seen the Kubrick? film, A Space Odyssey or something. Is it as good as it gets rated :beard:

Equilibrium - Matrix like dystopian which merges elements from Fahrenheit 451 and 1984.

Donnie Darko

Moon - Source Code director.

Star Trek 2009 - which is pretty decent even if you have no interest in the franchise.

Gattaca - classic

Dark City - pre-Matrix classic

Sunshine - Danny Boyle film about an expedition to 'restart' the sun.

Back to the Future trilogy - classic

V for Vendetta - dystopian

Serenity - really good follow up to the Firefly TV series.

The Fifth Element - Bruce Willis, aliens, flying cars and end of the world.

Minority Report - Tom Cruise and future technology that predicts crimes before they happen.

The Fountain (?)

Primer - time travel

Artificial Intelligence - a robot boy's journey to become a human.

That should keep you going for a bit. :beard:
Reply 6730
Original post by Mess.

Children of Men
Star Wars
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Source Code

2001: A Space Odyssey - yes, but you really need to be in the mood to watch it, I'd say. :yep: It's very slow-moving and reflective.

Moon?
Mr Nobody?
Terminator? (1 and 2 :p:)

EDIT: Yeah, just go with Ape. :getmecoat:
Reply 6731
Don't worry about it. :biggrin: Welcome to TSR!

I haven't seen any of his films, but he's a director I've heard quite a lot about, and would like to explore. :holmes:

Are you sure you want to make this movement towards endless fear and anxiety which holds his filmography? Start with "Dancer in the Dark" :smile: It is quite a drama and also with Bjork starring in the film it is one of his best films ( one I could cope with watching till the end and not wanting to be eaten by the dogs afterwards).
Reply 6732
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Equilibrium - Matrix like dystopian which merges elements from Fahrenheit 451 and 1984.

Donnie Darko

Star Trek 2009 - which is pretty decent even if you have no interest in the franchise.

Gattaca - classic

Minority Report - Tom Cruise and future technology that predicts crimes before they happen.

The Fountain (?)

Primer - time travel

2001: A Space Odyssey - yes, but you really need to be in the mood to watch it, I'd say. :yep: It's very slow-moving and reflective.

Moon?
Mr Nobody?
Terminator? (1 and 2 :p:)

EDIT: Yeah, just go with Ape. :getmecoat:

I knew there were loads that I just couldn't remember even though I had seen them :rofl2: Everything in bold is something I have already seen, so any other films would be great :h:

Some of my favourite films are in that list as well :mmm:

I might leave 2001 for the moment then Abi, as I don't think it is something to watch whilst sort of trying to fall asleep/relieve boredom.
Reply 6733

Donnie Darko

Gattaca - classic

The Fountain (?)

Primer - time travel

Donnie darko- absolute all time favourite :smile:
Reply 6734
Original post by Na-dia
Are you sure you want to make this movement towards endless fear and anxiety which holds his filmography? Start with "Dancer in the Dark" :smile: It is quite a drama and also with Bjork starring in the film it is one of his best films ( one I could cope with watching till the end and not wanting to be eaten by the dogs afterwards).

Thanks for the recommendation. :biggrin: The one of his films I've heard most about (apart from Melancholia, but that was only because it got all that attention at Cannes last year) is probably Breaking the Waves - that's one I've had my eye on for quite a while now. :holmes: Have you seen it?

Mess.

I might leave 2001 for the moment then Abi, as I don't think it is something to watch whilst sort of trying to fall asleep/relieve boredom.

Definitely not. :laugh: Star Trek (2009) might be best suited to your needs, then; possibly Mr Nobody if you want something a little artsier/more intelligent. :smile:
Original post by Na-dia

I would say that Melancholia was the best directed film of last year. He's not consistent, but he has extraordinary talent both in terms of getting the best out of his actors and with framing and pacing devices to draw you into the film. Melancholia really is staggeringly good as a first viewing, and only becomes more impressive upon reflection.
Original post by Mess.
I knew there were loads that I just couldn't remember even though I had seen them :rofl2: Everything in bold is something I have already seen, so any other films would be great :h:

That leaves you Donnie Darko, Moon, Star Trek (2009), Sunshine, The Fountain (not sure if it's 'science fiction') and Primer. :tongue: Those are all worth a watch!

As for additional recommendations: District 9, Alien, Aliens, Predators (the new one, not to be confused with Predator), Super 8, Tron: Legacy, E.T., Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, Cloverfield and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - whichever out of those you haven't seen.
Reply 6737
Thanks for the recommendation. :biggrin: The one of his films I've heard most about (apart from Melancholia, but that was only because it got all that attention at Cannes last year) is probably Breaking the Waves - that's one I've had my eye on for quite a while now. :holmes: Have you seen it?

Definitely not. :laugh: Star Trek (2009) might be best suited to your needs, then; possibly Mr Nobody if you want something a little artsier/more intelligent. :smile:

No I have not seen it and probably will not, maybe when I am not alone :biggrin: When I watched "Dogville" I was alone and in the end I was cuddled on bed in tears and shivering. Although I am not easily scared or shocked, I watch a lot of horror and thriller movies.
Reply 6738
That leaves you Donnie Darko, Moon, Star Trek (2009), Sunshine, The Fountain (not sure if it's 'science fiction') and Primer. :tongue: Those are all worth a watch!

As for additional recommendations: District 9, Alien, Aliens, Predators (the new one, not to be confused with Predator), Super 8, Tron: Legacy, E.T., Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, Cloverfield and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - whichever out of those you haven't seen.

I watch so many films and forget them almost instantly :colondollar: Will make sure to give the others a watch though, might rewatch Pitch Black as well, loved that film when I was younger, a very clever play on the fear of the dark.

Perhaps I should watch Waterworld again for some quality programming :ahee:
Original post by Na-dia

I haven't heard of him outside of Melancholia, which I was really interested in giving a watch at some point. It sounded a bit similar to Another Earth, which was out in the same year. I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending