The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6740
Original post by Phalanges
I would say that Melancholia was the best directed film of last year. He's not consistent, but he has extraordinary talent both in terms of getting the best out of his actors and with framing and pacing devices to draw you into the film. Melancholia really is staggeringly good as a first viewing, and only becomes more impressive upon reflection.

I absolutely agree that he has talent and works best with actors, that is why I am so impressed with his films. He drags me into the film and it holds me for a while after the film is finished. It is so strong that I can't handle it, the feeling lasts under my skin :s-smilie:

I have not watched Melancholia, will actually watch it now.
Reply 6741
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
That leaves you Donnie Darko, Moon, Star Trek (2009), Sunshine, The Fountain (not sure if it's 'science fiction') and Primer. :tongue: Those are all worth a watch!

As for additional recommendations: District 9, Alien, Aliens, Predators (the new one, not to be confused with Predator), Super 8, Tron: Legacy, E.T., Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, Cloverfield and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - whichever out of those you haven't seen.

Tron: Legacy? :erm:
Thumbs up for District 9 though (and Cloverfield, Chronicles of Riddick and Cloverfield :p: )
Original post by Revent
Tron: Legacy? :erm:
Thumbs up for District 9 though (and Cloverfield, Chronicles of Riddick and Cloverfield :p: )

I quite enjoyed it. Certainly not as good as some users in this society (:pierre:) hyped it up for months to be, but the visual style and soundtrack made the film stand out even if the story was lacking.

I also hear they are making follow-ups to the Riddick films.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
What would be a decent sci fi film to watch, considering I have already seen (from memory):

Children of Men
Star Wars
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Source Code
and some others that I can't remember :mmm:

Oh I haven't seen the Kubrick? film, A Space Odyssey or something. Is it as good as it gets rated :beard:
I actually asked this same question not a couple of days ago. :mmm:

I'd recommend Solaris. The original seventies version, not the remake. I watched it yesterday and absolutely loved it.
Is this real? :holmes: 'Hitchcock directing the famous MGM logo lion mascot'.

Reply 6745
I haven't heard of him outside of Melancholia, which I was really interested in giving a watch at some point. It sounded a bit similar to Another Earth, which was out in the same year. I think.

On a broadly related note, I thought Another Earth was pretty poor. :sadnod: I was really looking forward to it too, after being intrigued by the trailer.
Reply 6746
Meanwhile I am on the 50s minute of Melancholia
Reply 6747
Original post by Na-dia
What do you all think of Lars von Triers movies? They creep me out and I can not watch any more of his films. I would say he is pretty good at creating and maintaining the atmosphere but that is the very thing that leaves me dreadfully depressed every time. Perhaps I should just refrain from watching his films but I can not fight my curiosity.

I apologise for my english in case if some word combinations seem bizzare, it is not my mother tongue but I am doing my best.

Well I loved Antichrist, but ofcourse it isn't for everyone. I know self genital mutilation isn't everyone's taste, but of the ones I have seen, Dogville and Melancholia, I think it's his best.
The Shawshank Redemption on ITV :love: :adore:
Reply 6749
I quite enjoyed it. Certainly not as good as some users in this society (:pierre:) hyped it up for months to be, but the visual style and soundtrack made the film stand out even if the story was lacking.

I also hear they are making follow-ups to the Riddick films.

I was SUPER excited for it :p: Admittedly, the special effects were :love: But the story was just not that great :frown:

Ooh, link?
Reply 6750
So, Brave opening to just lukewarm reviews. One review says it doesn't take any risks, which basically means it isn't very innovative. Pixar in decline? :holmes:

Na-dia
50 minutes into Melancholia

How did you like it? :smile:
Reply 6751
Original post by Revent
I was SUPER excited for it :p: Admittedly, the special effects were :love: But the story was just not that great :frown:

Ooh, link?

I won't claim to be knowledgeable at all about SFX, but the ones in Tron: Legacy really didn't do anything for me. I was actually really underwhelmed. :nothing:
I watched The NeverEnding Story last night. It certainly brought back a lot of memories. It's the one film that never fails to make me cry! :cry2:
Reply 6753
Original post by Abiraleft

How did you like it? :smile:

Being completely honest, I did like it and liked it a lot. It kept me alert during the whole film, I did want to know what is going to happen next and did not want to stop watching it. It did however leave me sad but nowhere near as depressed or horrified as I thought it would.
Reply 6754
I won't claim to be knowledgeable at all about SFX, but the ones in Tron: Legacy really didn't do anything for me. I was actually really underwhelmed. :nothing:

Really? :eek: I honestly can't think of a film (other than Avatar) that has better SFX :erm: I guess maybe it looks really sleek and what not because of the black and shiny blue stuff making it look futuristic :p: But even then, I still can't think of anything off the top of my head with better SFX. Maybe the one with the girls/prostitues, can't remember the name, she starts dancing and goes into her fantasy world.
Original post by Revent

Ooh, link?

Riddick 2013

Following the events of The Chronicles of Riddick the infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he's encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.

The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won't leave the planet without Riddick's head as their trophy.

And the fourth and fifth films might be involving the Underverse and Furya respectively.
Original post by Revent
Really? :eek: I honestly can't think of a film (other than Avatar) that has better SFX :erm: I guess maybe it looks really sleek and what not because of the black and shiny blue stuff making it look futuristic :p: But even then, I still can't think of anything off the top of my head with better SFX. Maybe the one with the girls/prostitues, can't remember the name, she starts dancing and goes into her fantasy world.

Sucker Punch? That had the typical 300 esque special effects. Nothing special. :tongue:

I'd say Prometheus is up there with Tron: Legacy in terms of gorgeous special effects/cinematography.
Im a huge fan of black and whites with great actors like Judy Garland, Gene Kelly etc

and musicals :biggrin:
Reply 6758
Original post by Revent

Well, I suppose because I can't really judge them on a technical level, I tend to look at them in terms of how well they seem (to me) to fit in with the rest of the film, and maybe even complement it. So if asked, I'd say I was more impressed with the SFX on the likes of Blade Runner or Moon than Tron: Legacy: in the last, there were just things that seemed off/glitchy/imperfect to me. :dontknow:

I think one of the more impressive pieces of SFX I've seen lately has actually been in Captain America. :p: I'm talking, of course, about skinny Chris Evans. I didn't know that they were using SFX, and I didn't find out until after the films when I looked it up.

Original post by deathlyhallows
Im a huge fan of black and whites with great actors like Judy Garland, Gene Kelly etc

and musicals :biggrin:

Welcome to the Film forum! :biggrin:

Speaking of B/W, I need to watch Metropolis again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6759
Sucker Punch? That had the typical 300 esque special effects. Nothing special. :tongue:

I'd say Prometheus is up there with Tron: Legacy in terms of gorgeous special effects/cinematography.

Yeah, that's the name. It was so crap I forgot the name :colondollar: and I haven't seen it yet, don't think it's out for much longer at the cinemas so going to have to use my other methods... :ninja: wait for the DVD :p:

Well, I suppose because I can't really judge them on a technical level, I tend to look at them in terms of how well they seem (to me) to fit in with the rest of the film, and maybe even complement it. So if asked, I'd say I was more impressed with the SFX on the likes of Blade Runner or Moon than Tron: Legacy: in the last, there were just things that seemed off/glitchy/imperfect to me. :dontknow:

I think one of the more impressive pieces of SFX I've seen lately has actually been in Captain America. :p: I'm talking, of course, about skinny Chris Evans. I didn't know that they were using SFX, and I didn't find out until after the films when I looked it up.

Welcome to the Film forum! :biggrin:

Speaking of B/W, I need to watch Metropolis again.

Fair enough :lol: But I guess there are different categories of CGI in that sense because even something like the social network has CGI, similar to what they did with the Cap when he was skinny. I guess there's CGI added for realism such that you don't really notice it (ie the Cap or the twins in social network) whilst the CGI I have in mind is for surrealism which is obviously noticeable. Haven't seen Blade Runner and never heard of Moon :colondollar:

Technicality wise, Tron was VERY complex :p: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2009/250/6/4/64a312c661ca8f699d17aee389569048.jpg someone I know from a gfx designs forum actually made it and I remember him mentioning it took him FOREVER to model all of that :p: And that's just a still :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest