The Student Room Group

French Edexcel 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jackyblueyes
me too as I need a B or an A! so nervous, would you mind sharing what you found online?? and I'm sorry but no my teacher didn't predict anything else but from my own predictions I would say maybe something to do with either prisons and festivals maybe...

Of course, I learnt this off by heart.. i think it has some great structures and points you can include if it came up. http://masanteinfo.info/arguments-en-faveur-de-lavortement.html

I was thinking prisons as well, actually!
arts/sports, technology, religion, schools, parent, freedom of expression, go abroad and books has already been done.

I know OGM came up on one of the other edexcel language exams, so maybe that'll come up?

So i think im going to study,
l'avortement,
OGM,
drug trafficking,
prisons

do you know if extreme sports is the syllabus?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
does anyone know roughly the grade boundaries for unit 4 ?
Reply 62
omg if style comes up i'm screwed, we never did that at all!!
I hope role/importance of character comes up
the film part is the one im nervous for, the translation and discursive are okay, but there's always one word that throws people off, one year it was 'sniffer dog'... :s-smilie:
Reply 63
Original post by RebeccaRat
omg if style comes up i'm screwed, we never did that at all!!
I hope role/importance of character comes up
the film part is the one im nervous for, the translation and discursive are okay, but there's always one word that throws people off, one year it was 'sniffer dog'... :s-smilie:

I thought that was the old format of the translation, whereby you had a passage to read beforehand and then you could pick out key words from there.
Reply 64
so i'm learning l'avortement, L'OGM et la legislation du cannabis essays off by heart and learning the importance of a character and stylistic techniques essays off by heart - is this a bad idea?
Original post by :)J
Of course, I learnt this off by heart.. i think it has some great structures and points you can include if it came up. http://masanteinfo.info/arguments-en-faveur-de-lavortement.html

I was thinking prisons as well, actually!
arts/sports, technology, religion, schools, parent, freedom of expression, go abroad and books has already been done.

I know OGM came up on one of the other edexcel language exams, so maybe that'll come up?

So i think im going to study,
l'avortement,
OGM,
drug trafficking,
prisons

do you know if extreme sports is the syllabus?!

i don't think it is. I think extreme sports was on the A.S syllabus if I remember rightly
Reply 66
does anyone know roughly the grade boundaries for unit 4 ?

June 2010: 66/100 for A, 75/100 for A*
June 2011: 69/100 for A, 78/100 for A*

So if you get 8/10 for translation and 35/45 for each essay, you'd probably get 117/130 UMS on this paper (A*/90%)
Who will be marking these papers? Becuase i've studied a region and the book Joffo, but I am really bad at writing about books so I am going to answer on the region. If I make up a few facts will they realise?
What could I say about style in L'avare/L'etranger?
Reply 69
Original post by bananacustard20
The only "main" questions they could ask us for literature that haven't come up are either a character or the style of the book/play and considering Spanish got character, i'd put good money on ours being style!

What did everyone study for the literature essay? :smile:

L'Avare! you? It's ok, not terrible, not brilliant in my opinion. To be honest I quite like the style and structure question, I'm hoping it comes up! Any ideas for the discursive?
Reply 70
so i'm learning l'avortement, L'OGM et la legislation du cannabis essays off by heart and learning the importance of a character and stylistic techniques essays off by heart - is this a bad idea?

Do you think these will come up? We haven't even touched upon the legalisation of cannabis.. oh gawd

freaking out a little now! :afraid:
Original post by hotfrog5
L'Avare! you? It's ok, not terrible, not brilliant in my opinion. To be honest I quite like the style and structure question, I'm hoping it comes up! Any ideas for the discursive?

You did L'avare too? What would you write if a style question comes up?
Annyone?

I've got to learn most of the regional stuff today, but can I make up a few facts? They aren't going to check if I say 'fishing contributes to 12% of the industrial revenue' are they?
Reply 73
Original post by hotfrog5
Do you think these will come up? We haven't even touched upon the legalisation of cannabis.. oh gawd

freaking out a little now! :afraid:

They're my predictions, tbh, it can be anything! I'm hoping its l'avortement or les OGM, but who knows :confused: I haven't gone over legalisation of cannabis either yet - Im an external student so it sucks to try figure all this out.

All i know is that OGM came up in the spanish edexcel exam.

Im hoping its style/characters for RBE because i dont know any themes or social background to my book eeek
Reply 74
Does anybody know what the topic for the essay was last year?
Reply 75
This exam is actually ridiculous it's such guess work! Why don't we have listening and reading like the other exam boards :frown:
Reply 76
Original post by robthefool
Annyone?

I've got to learn most of the regional stuff today, but can I make up a few facts? They aren't going to check if I say 'fishing contributes to 12% of the industrial revenue' are they?

I'm not doing regional but my guess if as long as your fairly realistic it should be ok, at the end of the day they have tones of papers to mark they don't go into that much detail.
Reply 77
Original post by Soph(:
This exam is actually ridiculous it's such guess work! Why don't we have listening and reading like the other exam boards :frown:

heyy, do you know roughly what we need to get to get an A?
Reply 78
Original post by bugsy12
heyy, do you know roughly what we need to get to get an A?

I could be wrong but rougly between 60-70 (depends on how easy or how hard the paper is though!)
Reply 79
Original post by Soph(:
I could be wrong but rougly between 60-70 (depends on how easy or how hard the paper is though!)

ah okay thanks! What book have u done for the literature? Also do you happen to know what the essay topic was last year to try eliminate some topics for this year?

Quick Reply