The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6780
I just recently watched Moon again. I must say it is quite an unappreciated gem of a movie. I would say like District 9, it is one of the best modern sci fi's ever made. :smile:
Original post by Abiraleft
Brilliant, thanks! :biggrin: Did a quick Wikipedia run-through of those; the ones that seemed most interesting to me were....Threads

be aware that threads is one of the most upsetting 'fiction' pieces i've ever sat through. It will unceremoniously ruin your evening/week. prepare yourself for it.

on a lighter note it provides us with the single greatest IMDB page of all time:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1856457/

I've only seen Mad Max from that franchise, and remember thinking it was all right (a couple of years ago); is Mad Max 2 much better?

Definitely, yeah. And it's the one that developed that huge cult status so clearly there's an audience that feels it's exceptional in some way. MM2 is just an all out action film. It's quick and violent and looks great and doesn't care too much for characters and plot. Certainly you should watch it.

I loved everything on the list. I'd be hard pushed to pick a favourite but 'Silent Running' is just one of my favourite films. I adore that film and movies like 'Moon' owe as much to that (if not more) as they do to the usual suspects that get mentioned.

EDIT: having just read its wiki page, I see that Jones credits Silent Running as one of the major influences on Moon. I hadn't realised he'd openly said that. Also Red Dwarf, which is obvious from the off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft
(On a broadly related note, I glimpsed a review of Prometheus the other day and saw that the reviewer had said that 'Scott has ensured that the setting feels less claustrophobic (than in Alien)'. Yeah, because the claustrophobic setting is really a problem with that film, isn't it. :rolleyes:)

yeah, lol etc.

"at its heart, a terrible tragedy has ensured this new 'Carry on...' film will be less silly than previous installments"

I'm too scared to go see Prometheus now. I managed to steer clear of any reviews and opinion pieces for ages but for some reason I snapped and started reading about it, and now i'm convinced i'm going to hate it. I will go into it with a clear and open mind, but everything i've read has prepared me to be totally let down.
Reply 6783
Original post by Mess.
Just finished watching the newest Star Trek film. I found it quite enjoyable except for the attempts at slapstick and horribly forced humour :colonhash:

For some reason that seems to have become common in every major 'blockbuster' release these days. It really does let them down.
Have any of you guys watched The Fisher King? :coma:

Reply 6785
Original post by Falcon91
For some reason that seems to have become common in every major 'blockbuster' release these days. It really does let them down.

It was shaping up to be a really good film but two major parts really bugged me. Kirk hitting his head on the beam with a ridiculously loud and hollow comedic thump and Scotty getting stuck in the water with Kirk attempting to talk him through getting washed away :sigh:

The rest of the film was quite an enjoyable romp though and I look forward to the sequel :h:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6786
Original post by Mess.
He was just, needless... Also, was he Sucre out of Prison Break?

It was Eric Bana :tongue:
Reply 6787
Original post by Deshi
It was Eric Bana :tongue:

:rofl2: He hid his acting ability well then!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6788
New teaser for The Master, second most anticipated film of the year (first being TDKR).

Reply 6789
May be going to watch Abe on Friday :smile:
Reply 6790
What are the good thrillers to watch? Need advice :smile:
Reply 6791

:drool:
Reply 6792
Original post by Revent

:drool:

Looks freaking awesome! :biggrin:
Reply 6793
Any Woody Allen fans here? I just found the trailer for his next film. 'To Rome With Love'.
[video="youtube;WIbYqxqtP38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIbYqxqtP38[/video]
I absolutely loved Midnight In Paris. It was one of my favorite films of last year. Hopefully this one will be good as well. :smile:
Reply 6794
Original post by Na-dia
What are the good thrillers to watch? Need advice :smile:

Zodiac
Se7en
Frailty
Drive
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Fracture
Insomnia
Eden Lake
The Town

I could think of some more if you want to be more specific.
Reply 6795
Original post by Deshi
Zodiac
Se7en
Frailty
Drive
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Fracture
Insomnia
Eden Lake
The Town

I could think of some more if you want to be more specific.

That is a decent list! Out of those I have not seen Frailty,Drive, The Girl and The town. I like Fracture- have watched it a few times, very good one and I love Ryan Gosling. I will watch Frailty :smile: Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 6796
I'm going to give The Crimson Rivers a watch tonight, unfortunately it's only got the dubbed version on Netflix.
Reply 6797
Original post by Na-dia
That is a decent list! Out of those I have not seen Frailty,Drive, The Girl and The town. I like Fracture- have watched it a few times, very good one and I love Ryan Gosling. I will watch Frailty :smile: Thank you very much :smile:

Frailty is really good, pretty creepy though. It's a shame that it's not very well known!
Reply 6798
Original post by Arran44
Looks freaking awesome! :biggrin:

Mr Wayne.. :lol: Love how Bane speaks :p:
Man this movie will be AMAZING :love: I plan to watch it at least 10 times at the cinema :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I even plan to BUY the actual DVD's/Blu-rays when they come out :p: as a set. First time I'll be ever doing that :lol:
Reply 6799
Original post by Deshi
Frailty is really good, pretty creepy though. It's a shame that it's not very well known!

Creepy is the new good :spider:

Quick Reply

Latest