The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 5 June 19th 2012 Exam Revision!

This exam is a JOKE, for me. I've never panicked about an exam more than I am for this.

How's everyone going about it? What's your average?

This thread is for everyone who wants to help boost their advantage in this exam. Ask questions, answer others', it'll take you up a grade (or more) easy.

:smile: Good Luck to everyone! You're all gonna rub AQA down the..... *ahem* ... and give them reason to think they're questions are stupidly easy.

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Mm, I do think there's something weird about this exam. Somewhere between a general lack of content and forcing you to rote learn things that, in practice, you'd look up in a table.
My average is into the A* but I did an exam a couple of days ago and got just over an A... It's the transition metal chemistry that is my downfall. I can never tell if/how far ligand substitution will occur in different species. I think my only hope is to rote learn them over the next week and a bit.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Write an equation for the reaction of [Al(H2O)6]3+ with (C204)2-

WHAT IS THE ANSWER? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Reply 3
Original post by xpolly123x
Write an equation for the reaction of [Al(H2O)6]3+ with (C204)2-

WHAT IS THE ANSWER? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

(C2O4)2- acts as a bidentate ligand in this reaction I think. So will displace water and form [Al(C2O4)3]3- and 6H20's :smile:
Original post by CollateralElement
This exam is a JOKE, for me. I've never panicked about an exam more than I am for this.

This thread is for everyone who wants to help boost their advantage in this exam. Ask questions, answer others', it'll take you up a grade (or more) easy.

:smile: Good Luck to everyone! You're all gonna rub AQA down the..... *ahem* ... and give them reason to think they're questions are stupidly easy.

does anyone know if we need to include all steps for calculations of enthalpy to get the full marks? cause i got the right answer but in the mark scheme apparently writing down "H = Hf(products) Hf(reactants)" gets you a marsk. If i didnt write this step down will i lose marks?
I feel like I know the stuff on the specification well but then when I do a practice paper there's loads of unrelated questions! I've revised transition metals so much to make sure I know them but in questions they seem to ask about H2O2 and Chlorides all the time! :frown:
Really really hoping it's a nice paper tomorrow :/
Original post by white_dragon337
does anyone know if we need to include all steps for calculations of enthalpy to get the full marks? cause i got the right answer but in the mark scheme apparently writing down "H = Hf(products) Hf(reactants)" gets you a marsk. If i didnt write this step down will i lose marks?

I think you get the mark anyway because that's what you did to get the right answer :smile: It's always worth writing it down anyway though just incase!
Can someone explain the final question on June 2010? I don't understand....
OK. Is there ANY method of learning the transition metal colours? I've just tried reading them then repeating them to myself, but I've been trying this for weeks now, and it literally hasn't got me anywhere, as none of it stuck. :frown:
Reply 9
I don't know if its too late for you now but i drew out a grid with boxes which were the colours of the complexes described with their equations inside them. really helpful particulalrly if you learn visually
I'm just hoping for a nice paper. I understand this unit, and I think I know all the bits you just have to learn, but AQA are horrible for writing awkward questions :/
Can someone explain the final question on June 2010? I don't understand....

Ok so we know that 6Fe2+ + Cr2O7 2- + 14H+ --> 6Fe3+ + Cr3+ + 7H20

The moles of Cr2O7 2- = conc. X vol. = 0.01 x (23.7/1000) = 0.000237 mol

The moles of Cr2O7 2- : moles of Fe2+ is 1:6 because of the above equation so we times the moles of dichromate ions by 6 to get 0.00142 moles.

This is the moles of Fe2+ in 25 cm3, so to get the moles of Fe2+ in 250 you times it by 10 to get 0.0142 in the ion sulphate solution left.

The moles of FeSO4.7H20 = mass/ mr = 10/ 277.9 = 0.036

So to work out the percentage thats is still Fe2+ (not oxidised) you do moles of Fe2+ left/ moles of FeSO4 originally = 0.0142/0.036 x 100 = 39.5

soo 100% - the percent not oxidised = percent oxidised

100 - 39.5 = 60.5 %

If anythings unclear fel free to ask :smile:
Well I though that was horrendous! :frown: how did everyone else find it?
Reply 13
The worst paper I have ever sat!
Horrible :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Definitely, without a shadow of a doubt the hardest paper set. Dont be discouraged it only means lower grade boundaries.
personally I thought it was ok as long as you did solid revison. You definitely needed a lot more knowledge.
Reply 16
Well that was just about the worst exam I've done ever :frown:
Reply 17
Worst paper I have ever seen struggled on most questions
Reply 18
Hideous
Reply 19

I hope u enjoyed the rub down we all got by Aqa. . . , .:frown: X-(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending