The Student Room Group

STEP I 2012 discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by In One Ear
Did anyone fully do question 1? I got the first part, and then showed that the min of the sum of the distances of P and Q was whatever thjey said. But when it came to doing the same with the distances between P and Q, i couldn't get a value of m out of the dy/dx=0 to put back in the distance equation.

I then tried question 2 and failed- i managed the graph and its stationary points i think, confused my self (stupidly) about the stating part, then found the two values of a for which dy/dx=0 and d2y/dx2=0 but then decided to cut my losses and move on.

I then attempted the integration question, got the first of the three integrals and then got stuck.

Then i moved onto the differential equation question (q8?) showed the transformation worked, got a solution to the diff equation but couldn't put it into the form they wanted so i moved on and tried the same substitution for the last part which worked but since it just asked for a general solution (no particular form) i just left it in my messy form.

Then i tried the cool question about dropping the stone in the well- the scary looking show that was actually fairly easy i thought. Then had to rearrange to show D=... started it but it would have been a tedious process of squaring and moving all radicals to one side and repeating and getting it in their exact form would have been time consuming and i was running out of time. Then attempted the last part which was the estimation of the well depth which went fine.

Just before time was up i made a superficial start at the mechanics question just before that (not worth more than 1-3 marks imo).

Expecting 50-60 marks which isn't really safe enough for a 2 :frown: .

What about you guys? How did you find it?

I found m=-b/a by inspection I think but it lead to a minimum distance of 0 which is clearly not true, the point made about m = (b/a)^1/3 on the other thread seems a lot more likely.

I did the integration one too and did the first two parts but I couldn't spot the "hence" trick on the last part.

I got the differential equation in the form they wanted after a lot of attempts and then the 2nd part I didn't guess the substitution, just wondering if I had used an integrating factor on that question (it was quite standard fp2 work) would I have gained credit?

Also did the N and T hyperbola question, half of the mechanics question about connected particles, and the Tn sequence question.
Original post by james22
Can anyone tell me how to do the integral of cos(2x)ln((cosx))? I still haven't figured it out.

IBP integrating cos2x (which gives 0.5*sin2x) and differentiating ln(cosx) (which gives -tanx). Then 0.5*sin2x*tanx simplifies to sin²x (which can be expressed in terms of cos2x).

That's all IIRC :tongue:

Big regret on this paper for me was not reading all the questions properly before starting ones that looked nice (but weren't). Lesson learned. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by xxxxkrishyxxxx
Omg, I'm such an idiot, that didn't even occur to me in the exam, I was trying to find a suitable substitution >;(

Exactly the same method I used and exactly the same reaction as I had after realising how simple it was! That's probably cost me my place at uni! :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by tizza1394
Anyone got ideas on boundaries?

I'd say that paper was harder than 2008 which had 81 for S, 65 for 1, 43 for 2 and 29 for 3.
Original post by fGDu
I found m=-b/a by inspection I think but it lead to a minimum distance of 0 which is clearly not true, the point made about m = (b/a)^1/3 on the other thread seems a lot more likely.

I did the integration one too and did the first two parts but I couldn't spot the "hence" trick on the last part.

I got the differential equation in the form they wanted after a lot of attempts and then the 2nd part I didn't guess the substitution, just wondering if I had used an integrating factor on that question (it was quite standard fp2 work) would I have gained credit?

Also did the N and T hyperbola question, half of the mechanics question about connected particles, and the Tn sequence question.

Looks good, the integrating factor method (assuming no slips) is fine I would think.
Reply 25
Original post by Wahrheit
Just use parts :biggrin:.

I tried that with u=ln(cos(x)) and dv/dx=cos(2x) but it all went wrong.
Reply 26
Original post by Extricated
Looks good, the integrating factor method (assuming no slips) is fine I would think.

I don't think it's possible to use integrating factor with something of the form dy/dx +(something)/y= something?
Reply 27

Yeah but I didn't do that :biggrin: wish I had it would have been an extra 10 marks
Original post by fGDu

I don't think u could use an integrating factor- i did think that might be a way to quickly "cheat" a whole question. But because it was like xydy/dx i dont think you could get it into the standard form of dydx+Py=Q where P and Q are functions of x. I think this may have been deliberate because then the question would have been far too easy. Either that or i missunderstand differential equations (quite possible since i crammed fp3 in 1.5 days ).
My quick assessment is that it looks like a pretty hard paper; I'd expect lower boundaries than usual.

[I may revise my opinion once I've had a proper look].

I don't think it's possible to use integrating factor with something of the form dy/dx +(something)/y= something?

This was also my conclusion. May be wrong though?
Original post by fGDu

I guessed m=-b/a too and got 0 as the min distance... :/ Reckon we'll still get marks for noticing it's a sp??
Reply 32
This was also my conclusion. May be wrong though?

Actually I'm pretty positive you can't use integrating factor :wink:.
This paper's pretty tricky in the sense that choosing questions is more vital than usual. Lots of algebra bashing bleugh.
Actually I'm pretty positive you can't use integrating factor :wink:.

Well it would have made the whole question pretty easy :tongue: .
Original post by james22
I tried that with u=ln(cos(x)) and dv/dx=cos(2x) but it all went wrong.

U = ln(cosx) ==> du/dx = -sinx/cosx = -tanx
v' = cos2x ==> v = 1/2sin2x

I = uv - S v du/dx

==> I = ln(cosx)(1/2sin2x) - S (1/2sin2x)(-tanx)

1/2sin2x = sinxcosx ==> 1/2sin2x*-tanx = sinxcosx * -sinx/cosx = -sin^2x

==> S (1/2sin2x)(-tanx) = S -sin^2x

cos2x = 1-2sin^2x

= (cos2x - 1) / 2

Integrating = 1/4sin2x - 1/2x

==> I = 1/2sin2xln(cosx) - (1/4sin2x-1/2x)

==> I = 1/2sin2xln(cosx) - 1/4sin2x + 1/2x (+c)

Sorry about lack of Latex, bit busy
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think u could use an integrating factor- i did think that might be a way to quickly "cheat" a whole question. But because it was like xydy/dx i dont think you could get it into the standard form of dydx+Py=Q where P and Q are functions of x. I think this may have been deliberate because then the question would have been far too easy. Either that or i missunderstand differential equations (quite possible since i crammed fp3 in 1.5 days ).

I think so too... had to use substitution...
Reply 37
Original post by alvina9894
Is the last part of Q1 (a^2/3 + b^2/3)^3/2 ? Anyone got the same thing?

Well, we're either both correct or both grossly wrong!

Did anyone do Question 9 (mechanics, throwing a shot put at an angle)? I thought it was a great little work through to get their answers, but I messed up somewhere and got 5(x - rt(2) - 1), where x should have been rt(6) but, for some reason, wasn't:frown:

Anyone attempt Q13? I had about 20 minutes at the end so I thought I'd sink my teeth in, managed to find out there were 3125 separate integers but got stuck up afterwards. Any one got an answer?
Anyone do 4? I got t but when i tried to find n
the algebra got so messy it was unreal, like a million of each term so i left my answer as that dno if il get any marks for not simplifying
Did no one fancy 6?

Quick Reply