The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

trying so hard not to fall asleep... my sleep patterns messed up enough without falling asleep at 2pm :rolleyes: how is everyone?
Original post by Da CorrupteD KiD
Wow another baker in this thread! You seem to have an inclination for booze filled cakes. Sangria bundt sounds really nice though, it's one of my favourite drinks after all.

That is my speciality. Booze in general to be honest, but it kind of carries over into my baking. I think the weirdest thing I ever devised was Red Bull sponge with Jägermeister frosting :tongue: It was a lot nicer than it might sound :h: The most recent thing I made (not really baking) was a Bailey's cheesecake, topped with a thin layer of coffee jelly. Needs a little tweaking, but was well received :h:

I really should learn how to use the multi-quote function more or the system's gonna think I'm a spammer!

Of the three quote buttons, use the middle one on each post you want to reply to. Then at the bottom of the page you'll find all the quotes in place in the Quick Reply box. If you want to carry over onto the next page, you can copy/paste them and carry on.
It's the result of too much time to spare. :smile:

But I do find it really therapeutic and fun to make my own croissants. There may be some good quality frozen croissants in the better supermarkets but knowing you've made your own somehow makes them just that more pleasant to eat. Plus I can adjust the salt and sugar content to suit my personal taste.

My breakfast croissants are indeed proofing away beside my radiator atm.

I love making hot cross buns, or cinnamon rolls. I don't think i have the patience for pastry things though :tongue: I'm just gonna come sit by your radiator then :colone:
Original post by Revd. Mike
That is my speciality. Booze in general to be honest, but it kind of carries over into my baking. I think the weirdest thing I ever devised was Red Bull sponge with Jägermeister frosting :tongue: It was a lot nicer than it might sound :h: The most recent thing I made (not really baking) was a Bailey's cheesecake, topped with a thin layer of coffee jelly. Needs a little tweaking, but was well received :h:

Of the three quote buttons, use the middle one on each post you want to reply to. Then at the bottom of the page you'll find all the quotes in place in the Quick Reply box. If you want to carry over onto the next page, you can copy/paste them and carry on.

Cheers for teaching me how to use multi-quote! I always have a tendency to just reply to individual posts and only realising I've just taken up 1/4 of the page in a row after. :eek:
Original post by twinlensreflex
I love making hot cross buns, or cinnamon rolls. I don't think i have the patience for pastry things though :tongue: I'm just gonna come sit by your radiator then :colone:

Indeed patience is the key to a good pastry, both in the sense of repeated experimentation to get the right technique and during the pastry making process itself. I myself would love to sit by my proofing croissants too. The yeast produces this lovely smell that one can only get through bread making!
Reply 4064
Original post by fretter778
I hopeless at baking :frown: I'm pretty good at actual cooking though.

Same :yep:

'Cooking is superior to baking.' Discuss.
I'm actually quite good at cooking, not so much at baking though because I just follow the recipe when I bake. I do bake mean chocolate chip cookies and brownies though. :h:

Original post by loulou111
trying so hard not to fall asleep... my sleep patterns messed up enough without falling asleep at 2pm :rolleyes: how is everyone?

I was doing the exact same thing! But I failed, fell asleep at 4pm and woke up at 9pm. So of course I'm now wide awake. So annoying.
Original post by thurin

I'm fairly kick-ass at both, so I'm indifferent on this issue :h:
Original post by thurin

I cook so I have food to eat, I bake because I enjoy it. :tongue: So cooking is superior in the context of staying alive :biggrin:
Reply 4068
I'm fairly kick-ass at both, so I'm indifferent on this issue :h:

Original post by twinlensreflex
I cook so I have food to eat, I bake because I enjoy it. :tongue: So cooking is superior in the context of staying alive :biggrin:

Both excellent answers, therefore I will not be setting homework for this week.

In other news, exam tomorrow and my last the day after - aaaaaaaaaaaah.
Reply 4069
Gays. Went to Newcastle today. There were lots of people camped outside HMV because Cheryl Cole was doing a book signing. Also, Debenhams have a sale :biggrin: I snapped up 2 pairs of trousers, full price £56, Crisps price £16 :biggrin:
Reason number a million why I can't wait to move out and get my own place: everytime a family member is ill, I feel like a walking time bomb waiting to come down with it too. :s

I have a fairly sturdy immune system, but right now my father's complaining of a temperature and I feel like I'm living in a plague pit.
Original post by Terpsikhore
Reason number a million why I can't wait to move out and get my own place: everytime a family member is ill, I feel like a walking time bomb waiting to come down with it too. :s

I have a fairly sturdy immune system, but right now my father's complaining of a temperature and I feel like I'm living in a plague pit.

I feel your pain :console: Unfortunately my immune system is crappy two ways; I seem to get every infection going so it can't be that effective, although it does a fairly super job on my joints ¬_¬
Original post by Crisps
Gays. Went to Newcastle today. There were lots of people camped outside HMV because Cheryl Cole was doing a book signing.

I weep for humanity

Also, Debenhams have a sale :biggrin: I snapped up 2 pairs of trousers, full price £56, Crisps price £16 :biggrin:

All hail humanity :woo:

In other news I'm back home now. Want to be back in Manchester already.
I feel your pain :console: Unfortunately my immune system is crappy two ways; I seem to get every infection going so it can't be that effective, although it does a fairly super job on my joints ¬_¬

Aww, that sucks. :hugs: Worst of both worlds. :frown: My immune system is very efficient. So much so that yesterday I felt like crying because hayfever made me feel so wretched (oh god my eyes the pain!), but then I realise I can't remember the last time I caught a bug or a sniffle and I ought to stop moaning!
Original post by Crisps
Gays. Went to Newcastle today. There were lots of people camped outside HMV because Cheryl Cole was doing a book signing. Also, Debenhams have a sale :biggrin: I snapped up 2 pairs of trousers, full price £56, Crisps price £16 :biggrin:

Is it sunny in Newcastle? It's really nice in Edinburgh, and I'd like to gloat if possible
Reply 4075
Original post by seanfromtheblock
Is it sunny in Newcastle? It's really nice in Edinburgh, and I'd like to gloat if possible

Bit of a mixture. Warm, but not sunny all of the time. It started spitting for a bit too.
Reply 4076
My boss came over to a colleague today and looked at what he was doing and said 'You're doing that all wrong, why are you doing it like that? Do it like this instead. <Explains>.' Then he looks at me and says 'But evidently James disagrees?' I burst out in exasperated laughter and told him it had been his idea to do it the wrong way in the first place. He denied this. I gave the date, time and place of the discussion where he had decreed it so. He denied it again.

**Updates CV**
Reply 4077
One paper left, someone post lots of analysis into my head for 2.30 tomorrow please?
Original post by thurin

In what sense? The relative importance of each on survival/daily living? Or the relative level of technical mastery required to excel in each?

For the former, it's clear that cooking is superior, i.e more important as that'd provide us with food with the all the essential nutrients we need, unlike baking, which pretty much only provides us with carbs and fats. :tongue:

For the latter, they're equal. Each field has its own set of technical skills that require talent and dedication to acquire. It's almost impossible to directly compare those skills as they're like apple and orange.

Perhaps a more appropriate title for the discussion would be:

Savoury vs Sweets (chef de cuisine vs chef de patisserie)

Cooking vs baking would leave out many types of food like mousses, ice creams etc that require neither 'baking' nor cooking, but are typically made by bakers.
Original post by The Fez
I'm actually quite good at cooking, not so much at baking though because I just follow the recipe when I bake. I do bake mean chocolate chip cookies and brownies though. :h:

I was doing the exact same thing! But I failed, fell asleep at 4pm and woke up at 9pm. So of course I'm now wide awake. So annoying.

You'd be amazed how different the final product would taste/look like even when two people follow the exact same recipe. I certainly had no bloody idea what 'whisk to soft peaks' was about, neither did I know how soft peaks were different stiff peaks. It's takes a lot of practice to fully master a recipe. Speaking of practice, I think I'm close to perfecting my croissant making skill, 5th batch chilling and ready to be rolled tomorrow.

Oops, I did it again. (no I'm not really THAT much of a Britney fan), as in posting consecutive replies.

Latest