The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iesians
did you write it or can you give a credible reference for it (not the orange book)
because it doesnt make sense why would energy be needed to bring the myosin head to its original position ? it will just SPRING back once it is released from the actin.

salters nuffield advanced biology for edexcel A2 student book. it doesnt spring back, energy is required for any movement of the head.
Reply 3561
Original post by pandoraclaire
if you read the step by step that is exactly how it happens, also when the other person said it breaks down the bridge, that is what i am saying, what do you think happens in the sliding filament theory?? i thinks its exactly the same as me but in different words tbh.

you still havent answered me LOGICALLY.

why would energy be needed once the power stroke is over ??! do v have extra energy we wanna get rid of ? what ?!
Reply 3562
salters nuffield advanced biology for edexcel A2 student book. it doesnt spring back, energy is required for any movement of the head.

so thats the case.
apparently that isnt the case in EDEXCEL book or SNAB rev guide ! well i guess ill stick to what the main ones say . i dont think salters nuffield is for us, not that it changes the reality of what actually happens, but theres too much apparent confusion.....
Original post by iesians
you still havent answered me LOGICALLY.

why would energy be needed once the power stroke is over ??! do v have extra energy we wanna get rid of ? what ?!

that entire process was outlined in the bullet points i provided, the ADP and Pi are released for the power stroke and the new ATP is hydrolysed to move the head back once detached, that ADP and Pi is then released for the next power stroke. If you dont agree with that you dont have to thats just what it says in the text book.
Reply 3564
that entire process was outlined in the bullet points i provided, the ADP and Pi are released for the power stroke and the new ATP is hydrolysed to move the head back once detached, that ADP and Pi is then released for the next power stroke. If you dont agree with that you dont have to thats just what it says in the text book.

well, I just wanna make sure that the idea is clear to me as well to you !
but clearly it isnt.
Original post by iesians
well, I just wanna make sure that the idea is clear to me as well to you !
but clearly it isnt.

clearly not, im just relaying information that is in every animation and text i have read, apologies for not thinking in the same pattern as you but no need to be rude :smile: just trying to be helpful
Reply 3566
clearly not, im just relaying information that is in every animation and text i have read, apologies for not thinking in the same pattern as you but no need to be rude :smile: just trying to be helpful

lol. when was i rude ?
haha. but the main point is after all the discussion the concept is still vague.
what you are sayin MAY BE correct.
but it lacks logical explanation.
Original post by iesians
lol. when was i rude ?
haha. but the main point is after all the discussion the concept is still vague.
what you are sayin MAY BE correct.
but it lacks logical explanation.

sorry you obviously didnt mean to be rude it just came across that way, I've just learnt the exact process from the text book, doubt they will ask for an explanation as to why it happens
Reply 3568
... yes it does detach... it detaches when the ATP binds to it, it goes back to a straight position after hydrolysis down to the ATPase

Yeah this is right ^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
June 2011 was a bit tricky.. agreed? :colondollar:
Reply 3570
why cant a neurone fire an impulse during hyperpolarisation and repolarisation ..?!
Original post by 19941994
Yeah this is right ^

thanks XD i was starting to doubt myself for a minute there
Reply 3572
thanks XD i was starting to doubt myself for a minute there

Lol the student room confuses me a lot as well because everyone has different notes :s-smilie:

- My notes say that ATP binds to the myosin head causing it to detach from the actin filament.
- This activates ATPase in the myosin head, which hydrolyses ATP; providing energy to return the myosin head to the original position.

And from what i read, i think you basically said the same but in a shorter version lol :smile:

Original post by 19941994
Lol the student room confuses me a lot as well because everyone has different notes :s-smilie:

- My notes say that ATP binds to the myosin head causing it to detach from the actin filament.
- This activates ATPase in the myosin head, which hydrolyses ATP; providing energy to return the myosin head to the original position.

And from what i read, i think you basically said the same but in a shorter version lol :smile:

yeah thats what i've got :biggrin: this entire exam has way too information for 6 questions and a pre release i swear :s-smilie:
Reply 3574
yeah thats what i've got :biggrin: this entire exam has way too information for 6 questions and a pre release i swear :s-smilie:

I know! Really not looking forward to the pre release questions. My notes for unit 5 are almost double the amount i had for unit 4 :/ i wish it was easy to predict certain topics so we wont have to learn it all lol
Reply 3575
pple i have a stupid qu :colondollar:
wat is the pre release qu thing ????????????
Reply 3576
Original post by iesians
right ! well someone above said that ATP is then hydrolysed as it moves back to its original position !! DUH ! i never even heard that

hydrolysis means the break down of ATP to ADP and Pi to relase enegry.......
Reply 3577
yeah whats the pre release thingy ???!?!?!!?
Original post by ghogho
pple i have a stupid qu :colondollar:
wat is the pre release qu thing ????????????

what do you mean? like what questions they could ask us or what?
Reply 3579
Original post by ghogho
hydrolysis means the break down of ATP to ADP and Pi to relase enegry.......

lol i know that
i just didnt get why energy was needed to bring back the myosin head.

Quick Reply

Latest