The Student Room Group

French Edexcel 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Retro.spex
I'm doing exactly the same, revising some essays we did. My teacher seems to think it will be about social/economic stuff during the period :s-smilie:

I'll just be glad when the whole thing is over!

Exactly! I can't wait as well, it's also my last exam :smile:
This question came up in German, how the daily life changed in the era that you've studied, so I'd say it could be the post-armistice stuff.

Well, let's just think positive et bon chance a nous tous :smile:
Reply 101
German- Character
Spanish- Character
Italian- Importance of an event
French- Importance of an event/Style ??? (Just my prediction, guess we'll find out tomorrow :/)
Reply 102
I'm doing exactly the same, revising some essays we did. My teacher seems to think it will be about social/economic stuff during the period :s-smilie:

please tell me u guys are talking about the literature question? because i have no idea what ur talking about if u mean for the topics :|
Reply 103
Original post by bugsy12
please tell me u guys are talking about the literature question? because i have no idea what ur talking about if u mean for the topics :|

I think their doing the history but not literature (you don't need to know that)
Reply 104
Original post by :)J
PLEASE be on l'avortement ou Les OGM and for literature to be style/characters. i'd be sooo happy!

Same ahah!
Original post by bugsy12

We're talking about the Occupation (the history option) Sorry if we confused you :tongue:
hey! anyone that may be doing sac de billes...
any brainstorm ideas what to write (generally speaking of course) in a style essay
I was thinking like
- structure of chapters
- perspective (autobiographical)
- language used by different characters
- passages of description
- tenses

is this the right kind of thing?! even if you aren't doing sac de billes specifically does this sound along the right lines?

thanks guys :smile:
(panicking)
Reply 107
Original post by StickleBricks
hey! anyone that may be doing sac de billes...
any brainstorm ideas what to write (generally speaking of course) in a style essay
I was thinking like
- structure of chapters in chronological order
- perspective (autobiographical)
- language used by different characters in 'un langage courant'
- passages of description in lots of detail, e.g. the time at l'Hôtel Excelsior
- tenses mainly in the present tense

is this the right kind of thing?! even if you aren't doing sac de billes specifically does this sound along the right lines?

thanks guys :smile:
(panicking)

Seems good to me. Also to consider - written in first person, so it seems more authentic. When Joffo adds bits of his thoughts from today into the novel, it's called 'un style intradiégétique'. Lots of suspense. Humour.

« Ce livre n'est pas l'œuvre d'un historien »

Good luck! I've done Un sac de billes and l'occupation and will decide which one to answer when I see the questions...
Original post by iMe
Seems good to me. Also to consider - written in first person, so it seems more authentic. When Joffo adds bits of his thoughts from today into the novel, it's called 'un style intradiégétique'. Lots of suspense. Humour.

« Ce livre n'est pas l'œuvre d'un historien »

Good luck! I've done Un sac de billes and l'occupation and will decide which one to answer when I see the questions...

thank you! good luck to you too :smile:
I wish we had prepared more than one thing. I have a really bad feeling the question will be a nasty one, eeek.
Reply 109
Original post by StickleBricks
thank you! good luck to you too :smile:
I wish we had prepared more than one thing. I have a really bad feeling the question will be a nasty one, eeek.

Yeah, I hate section C so much. The translation and discursive essay are fine, but this bit makes me panic!
Reply 110
Original post by iMe
Yeah, I hate section C so much. The translation and discursive essay are fine, but this bit makes me panic!

do you guys have any idea what topic the translation was on last year?
Reply 111
Original post by bugsy12
do you guys have any idea what topic the translation was on last year?

It was on a parent talking about their son going to university next year.
Reply 112
Original post by Antonia_1234
Is anyone preparing more than one RBE in case they can't answer the question on theirs?

That's a good idea but i don't think i have the brain capacity to research two haha
Original post by bugsy12
ah okay thanks! will all 4 be on the same topic or 4 different ones?

Yes they are four completely different topics.
for example I have a past paper here and they are
1) pensez vous les organisation caritatives aient plus de responsabilite que le gouvernement en ce qui concerne les devarorises? expliquez votre reponse
2) jusqu'a quel point les individus devraient ils avoir le droit de faire ce qu'ils veulent sans etre constamment surveilles par les autorites
3) subventionmer les arts est une perte d'argent, il y a beaucoup d'autres causes plus meritiores. qu'en pensez vous?
4) le conflit des generations exister depuis toujours. a votre avis, ce conflit entre les jeunes et les gens plus ages est-il inevitable? expliquez votre reponse

Hope this helps.
Original post by iMe

discursive I'm decent at yeaah, translation is hit and miss but it's only 10 marks and I know all my grammar it's just genders I usually mess up on :frown:
yeah, RBE is the worst. Hopefully it'll be okay, I've done all I can I think!
Original post by iMe
June 2010: 66/100 for A, 75/100 for A*
June 2011: 69/100 for A, 78/100 for A*

So if you get 8/10 for translation and 35/45 for each essay, you'd probably get 117/130 UMS on this paper (A*/90%)

Problem is how subjective marking is in subjects like languages, all depends on who reads your essays really! :frown: Good luck everyone for tomorrow too!! :wink:
Ahh that translation was very hard.. I thought the first essay was quite hard as well.. I chose the one about people who work harder should earn more.. but I think I might have misinterpreted it a bit..

The literature essay was hard, so I chose region instead which was very nice! It asked about tradition so i talked about the wine tradition and the old towns and about the local dialect :smile:

In the second essay I notice that 30 marks are for research, so I think I put about 10 figures in my essay and mentioned quite a few town names, the name of the dialect, and some other stuff.. would that be good enough to get me a decent mark even though I used quite basic French in the second one?

Oh, and I think the boundaries will be relatively low, maybe 57/100 for a B again
Reply 117
i dont know what to think of it... i didnt know if i was answering the question in both the essays ( i also did the one about people working hard) and i did the literature one. i just didnt really know what to write haha
and the translation was pretty bad! i put in some english words cos i just didnt have a clue what they were in french! hahaha
Original post by hprmc
i dont know what to think of it... i didnt know if i was answering the question in both the essays ( i also did the one about people working hard) and i did the literature one. i just didnt really know what to write haha
and the translation was pretty bad! i put in some english words cos i just didnt have a clue what they were in french! hahaha

Yeah, I think that was a pretty hard paper overall.. I can see the A boundary being about 65/100. Probably the hardest translation out of all the papers, and the essays weren't nice.

I also got confused about if I was answering the question, in the first one I was writing about how people such as farmers work long hours but don't get paid as much as some people who work in a bank for 5 days a week for a few hours, where the question was 'In an equal society, those who work harder should earn more, do you agree etc?' It had me thinking for quite a while but oh well.
Reply 119
Original post by robthefool
Ahh that translation was very hard.. I thought the first essay was quite hard as well.. I chose the one about people who work harder should earn more.. but I think I might have misinterpreted it a bit..

The literature essay was hard, so I chose region instead which was very nice! It asked about tradition so i talked about the wine tradition and the old towns and about the local dialect :smile:

In the second essay I notice that 30 marks are for research, so I think I put about 10 figures in my essay and mentioned quite a few town names, the name of the dialect, and some other stuff.. would that be good enough to get me a decent mark even though I used quite basic French in the second one?

Oh, and I think the boundaries will be relatively low, maybe 57/100 for a B again

Yeh you're right there are only 6 marks available for language in the second essay, compared to 30 for research. As long as you didn't use completely basic language, which I'm assuming you didn't because you're an A2 student :P the second essay's way more focused on your background knowledge and research of the subject.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending