The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3640
Original post by M Kh
I will send you some notes tomorrow. They are complete and according the spec.

please could you also send me the notes, or post them here?
also do you know around what time you'll be able to do this by?
thank you
Reply 3641
can anyone upload the spec here?
Original post by M Kh
Don't worry. I hope this exam goes well for all of you. You guys remind me of the days when I was preparing for this exam last year - got 116/120 and then got it remarked and it increased to 118/120!

Any tips or help needed, feel free to quote me. I will also post up some scientific article preparation tips. I hope you guys have got some predicted questions. Last year, we found an extensive set of notes online by Sir Valentine Redden (I don't know who he is but, he is an awesome biology teacher) and most of the questions in the exam were similar to them! Try to search some predicted questions by Sir V. Redden.

Sorry but can you send them to me as well? i mean if you not gonna upload them here:tongue:

im a private student and got really few resources:s-smilie:
thank you so much!
Original post by M Kh
Don't worry. I hope this exam goes well for all of you. You guys remind me of the days when I was preparing for this exam last year - got 116/120 and then got it remarked and it increased to 118/120!

Any tips or help needed, feel free to quote me. I will also post up some scientific article preparation tips. I hope you guys have got some predicted questions. Last year, we found an extensive set of notes online by Sir Valentine Redden (I don't know who he is but, he is an awesome biology teacher) and most of the questions in the exam were similar to them! Try to search some predicted questions by Sir V. Redden.

You would be doing me a massive favour if you could send me the notes too
Congrats on that awesome score.
Reply 3644
Original post by M Kh

thank u sooooooo much :biggrin::smile:
Reply 3645
how do the experiments done by hubel and weisel confirm that theres a critical window for visula development ?
Reply 3646
Qu!!!!!!!!
describe the role of myoglobin??? [3 marks]
Reply 3647
Original post by ghogho
Qu!!!!!!!!

myoglobin is a red coloured pigment that stores oxygen and thus provides it for aerobic respiration.
Can someone please briefly the spirometer practical to me?? what would i write for a response to them 6marker practical questions?? Any links to videos/websites would be helpfull azwell! thanks :smile:
Reply 3649
Original post by ghogho
Qu!!!!!!!!

As the person said above, also it is found in much higher amounts in slow twitch muscles than fast twitch :smile:
Reply 3650
why do muscles exist in antagonistic pair ...?!
Reply 3651
Original post by iesians
how do the experiments done by hubel and weisel confirm that theres a critical window for visula development ?

Hubel and Weisel did experiments on newborn kittens and monkeys. They stitched one eye up (left lets say) for a couple of months from the time they were born. This meant no environmental factors had effected the left eye yet. After a couple of months they took the stitches out of the eye and found the kittens and monkeys to be blind in their left eye.

This provides evidence for the critical period as the critical period is a period of time during the first few months of life that the eyes develop neuron pathways to the visual cortex in order to allow vision. Without these neuron pathways electrical impulses can't be sent to the visual cortex. In a person with two healthy eyes the occipital column has alternating left and right columns of equal sizes, indicating equal amounts of the neuron pathways.

However, in people who are blind in one eye (left for this case) from birth, the right occipital columns are much stronger, and wider than the left as they have compensated for the lack of neuron pathways in the left occipital columns.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3652
Original post by iesians
why do muscles exist in antagonistic pair ...?!

Muscles can only pull, not push :smile: So they need a pair to be able to flex and extend.
Reply 3653
thanks ogrice80 !!
Reply 3654
Original post by iesians

first: the defination of the critical period is:a period of time after birth during which the nervous system is thought that it needs specific stimuli in order to develop properly
the experiment was done using new born kittens who had one eye sutred when they were one week old ( which is before the lids normally open) the other eye was left open... thus they could see with the open eye when their lids are normally opened. after a duration of three months the eyes were reversed. the previously closed one was opened and the open one was closed, the now open eye seemed to be well developed anatomically but the cat couldnt see with it. as it was closed during the critical period thus the functional connections to the brain failed to develop well. when they opened the other eye the cats could normally see!!! the reason for this is that the eye had recived the light stimuls during the critical period so the functional connection to the brain had already devloped!! so the conclusion is that when the small kittens were deprived of light at a certain period they could not see however after passing this period when the other eye was deprived of light for the same duration it could still see with it after this duration this proves that there is a criticle period of time were a stumilus is requried if this period had passed without reciving the stimulis the nervous connection will not devlope

so did u get it?:smile:
Reply 3655
Original post by ghogho
first: the defination of the critical period is:a period of time after birth during which the nervous system is thought that it needs specific stimuli in order to develop properly
the experiment was done using new born kittens who had one eye sutred when they were one week old ( which is before the lids normally open) the other eye was left open... thus they could see with the open eye when their lids are normally opened. after a duration of three months the eyes were reversed. the previously closed one was opened and the open one was closed, the now open eye seemed to be well developed anatomically but the cat couldnt see with it. as it was closed during the critical period thus the functional connections to the brain failed to develop well. when they opened the other eye the cats could normally see!!! the reason for this is that the eye had recived the light stimuls during the critical period so the functional connection to the brain had already devloped!! so the conclusion is that when the small kittens were deprived of light at a certain period they could not see however after passing this period when the other eye was deprived of light for the same duration it could still see with it after this duration this proves that there is a criticle period of time were a stumilus is requried if this period had passed without reciving the stimulis the nervous connection will not devlope

so did u get it?:smile:

yeahh !! got it ! lol
Reply 3656
name an enzyme used in Krebs cycle ?
Original post by M Kh

Hi there, I saw you that you might be able to help with some revision materials etc? I'm so stressed with this exam and I only need a C, but I just can't get the questions right. I've learnt most of the stuff from the textbook but i'm finding it so difficult to apply it to the paper.
I literally just need like 55-60% (or higher :wink:)to be able to get what I need so I can go to uni..
Could you offer any advice?
Reply 3658
Original post by M Kh

Also would you be able to send me the revision notes today please? Would appreciate it! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 3659
Original post by iesians
name an enzyme used in Krebs cycle ?

Coenzyme A

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending