The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ghogho
the chemoreceptors are resposible for the ventilation rate not the heart rate when it detect that there is an increase in the co2 and decrease in the ph it sends to the inspiratory center in the medulla

you're getting confused with breathing rate dear.
stretch receoptors and diapragm are stimulated when inhaling

inspiratory centre is also related to breathing rate, not heart rate
Original post by ConnorB
You're pretty much bang on :smile: Though i'm nitpicking a bit here, where are the chemoreceptors located which detect the lower Ph caused by the increase in Co2?

aortic bodies, carotid bodies and medulla...i'm 100% it's the first two
Original post by This Honest
aortic bodies, carotid bodies and medulla...i'm 100% it's the first two

You Sir, are ready for this exam :cool:
Reply 3703
How do you calculate the heart rate from an ECG ?
i feel like this is a really stupid question but can someone explain phytochromes to me please? There was a question on how plants use photoreceptors and i had absolutely no idea :s-smilie:
Reply 3705
you're getting confused with breathing rate dear.
stretch receoptors and diapragm are stimulated when inhaling

inspiratory centre is also related to breathing rate, not heart rate

my teachers notes say that the main stimulus that controls breathing rate is the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood
blood concentration is detected by the chemoreceptors present in the carotid arteries they are sensitive to co2 conc and PH of the blood.
while what controls the heart rate he wrote:
stretch receptors in the walls of the aorta send nerve impulses to the cardiovascular center when changes in the blood pressure occur then the cardiovacular center in the brain either send sympathatic or parasympathatic nerve impulses to the SAN
Reply 3706
more co2 produced
chemoreceptors detect increase in co2 and send nerve impulses to medulla
medulla sends nerve impulses to heart via sympathetic nervous system to depolarise SAN
depolarisation of SAN increases which increases the heart rate
???

Literally just seen this question on an oldish paper, a few things I reckon could be added to make sure you get all the marks:
State the obvious: aerobic respiration increases during exercise (I know it sounds stupid but they do often give one mark for that)
State the location of the chemoreceptors.
And in the markscheme I looked at, it said 'increases the frequency of impulses down the sympathetic nerve to the sinoatrial node' The heart is myogenic so no impulses would be sent from medulla to the SAN, but I think I'd add that little extra phrase to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps!
Reply 3707

heart muscle is myogenic, what is meant by myogenic (3 marks)
Original post by ConnorB
You Sir, are ready for this exam :cool:

Thanks :colondollar: still have lots to do though :redface:

Original post by ghogho
my teachers notes say that the main stimulus that controls breathing rate is the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood
blood concentration is detected by the chemoreceptors present in the carotid arteries they are sensitive to co2 conc and PH of the blood.
while what controls the heart rate he wrote:
stretch receptors in the walls of the aorta send nerve impulses to the cardiovascular center when changes in the blood pressure occur then the cardiovacular center in the brain either send sympathatic or parasympathatic nerve impulses to the SAN

My book says what your teacher says but at the end, they mention rate and depth of breathing increases so i assumed it was breathing rate they were on about

I'm gonna pop off enough to wokr on the article, has your tutor sent you the answers to the questions he gave you btw?
Original post by DH3498
Literally just seen this question on an oldish paper, a few things I reckon could be added to make sure you get all the marks:
State the obvious: aerobic respiration increases during exercise (I know it sounds stupid but they do often give one mark for that)
State the location of the chemoreceptors.
And in the markscheme I looked at, it said 'increases the frequency of impulses down the sympathetic nerve to the sinoatrial node' The heart is myogenic so no impulses would be sent from medulla to the SAN, but I think I'd add that little extra phrase to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps!

:biggrin: Thanks, I'll remember that. Stating the obvious is very important :lol:

Original post by wam-bam
heart muscle is myogenic, what is meant by myogenic (3 marks)

self exciting, heart has SAN depolarises and heart and can initiate its own heartbeat without impulses from any where else
contract spontaneously, doesn't fatigue

lol i'm just writing everything i know :redface:
Reply 3710
Original post by pandoraclaire
i feel like this is a really stupid question but can someone explain phytochromes to me please? There was a question on how plants use photoreceptors and i had absolutely no idea :s-smilie:

phytochrome is a photoreceptor in plants. it is protien in nature. it is responsible for varitey of responses to light
phytochrome is present in two forms:
phytochrome red (PR) and phytochrome far red (PFR) naturally daylight contain alot of FAR RED LIGHT so in daylight PR is rapidaly converted toPFR whlie in prolonged hours of dark PFR is slowly converted to PR
so what is the role of phytochrome in seed germination? most seeds germinate in the dark, below the ground however some seeds dnt contain enough food reserves to sustain them until they reach light. such seed =s only germinate if they are exposed to light, this ensures that they germinate only if near the surface of the soil .
expousre of light causes PR to be converted to PFR which initiatesgermination.
also it has been dicovered that the wavelenght to which the seeds were last exposed to has the greatest effect on the % of germination so whenever the last expouser was to red light it was PFR that was left in the seed.

well that is all what i know about phytochrome :redface: wish that u did understand it :smile:
Reply 3711
why is there a delay in action potential arrival at presynaptic neurone and action potential trigger in post synaptic neurone ??! (2 marks)
Reply 3712

Phytochrome

Phytochrome is a pale-blue pigment which is important in plant growth and development. It exists in two interconvertible forms. P660 has a maximum light absorption peak in the red end at 660 nm, whereas P730 has maximum absorption in the far red at 730 nm. When P660 is exposed to light at 660 nm, it is converted to P730. When P730 is exposed to light at 730 nm, it is converted to P660, and it slowly decays to P660 in the absence of light. Thus during daylight the plant accumulates P730 since daylight contains more red light. P730 is believed to be enzymatically active and influences a number of light-related processes, for example, photoperiodism, leaf lamina unfolding and seed germination. During the night the P730 slowly converts back to P660, which is then ready to respond to the daylight again.

Thus, in summary:
· Red light is absorbed by P660 which converts it to P730.
· Far red light is absorbed by P730 which converts it to P660.
· P730 in the dark slowly converts to P660 and it is this slow conversion

That is the ‘clock’ by which the plant measures night length.

Flowering in long day plants (henbane, snapdragon, cabbage, spring wheat and barley) is stimulated only if the level of P730 stays above a critical value. Flowering in short day plants (cocklebur, chrysanthemum, soya bean, strawberry and tobacco) is stimulated only if the level of P730 falls below a critical value. The levels of P730 are governed by the duration of dark periods (night).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3713
Original post by ghogho
phytochrome is a photoreceptor in plants. it is protien in nature. it is responsible for varitey of responses to light
phytochrome red (PR) and phytochrome far red (PFR) naturally daylight contain alot of FAR RED LIGHT so in daylight PR is rapidaly converted toPFR whlie in prolonged hours of dark PFR is slowly converted to PR
so what is the role of phytochrome in seed germination? most seeds germinate in the dark, below the ground however some seeds dnt contain enough food reserves to sustain them until they reach light. such seed =s only germinate if they are exposed to light, this ensures that they germinate only if near the surface of the soil .
expousre of light causes PR to be converted to PFR which initiatesgermination.
also it has been dicovered that the wavelenght to which the seeds were last exposed to has the greatest effect on the % of germination so whenever the last expouser was to red light it was PFR that was left in the seed.

well that is all what i know about phytochrome :redface: wish that u did understand it :smile:

u r wrong over there
natural sunlight contains a lot of RED light ! which is absorbed by Pr which then changes into Pfr.
Original post by ghogho
phytochrome is a photoreceptor in plants. It is protien in nature. It is responsible for varitey of responses to light
phytochrome red (pr) and phytochrome far red (pfr) naturally daylight contain alot of far red light so in daylight pr is rapidaly converted topfr whlie in prolonged hours of dark pfr is slowly converted to pr
so what is the role of phytochrome in seed germination? Most seeds germinate in the dark, below the ground however some seeds dnt contain enough food reserves to sustain them until they reach light. Such seed =s only germinate if they are exposed to light, this ensures that they germinate only if near the surface of the soil .
Expousre of light causes pr to be converted to pfr which initiatesgermination.
Also it has been dicovered that the wavelenght to which the seeds were last exposed to has the greatest effect on the % of germination so whenever the last expouser was to red light it was pfr that was left in the seed.

Well that is all what i know about phytochrome :redface: wish that u did understand it :smile:

thankyouuu :d
Original post by d_94
Phytochrome

Phytochrome is a pale-blue pigment which is important in plant growth and development. It exists in two interconvertible forms. P660 has a maximum light absorption peak in the red end at 660 nm, whereas P730 has maximum absorption in the far red at 730 nm. When P660 is exposed to light at 660 nm, it is converted to P730. When P730 is exposed to light at 730 nm, it is converted to P660, and it slowly decays to P660 in the absence of light. Thus during daylight the plant accumulates P730 since daylight contains more red light. P730 is believed to be enzymatically active and influences a number of light-related processes, for example, photoperiodism, leaf lamina unfolding and seed germination. During the night the P730 slowly converts back to P660, which is then ready to respond to the daylight again.

Thus, in summary:
· Red light is absorbed by P660 which converts it to P730.
· Far red light is absorbed by P730 which converts it to P660.
· P730 in the dark slowly converts to P660 and it is this slow conversion

That is the ‘clock’ by which the plant measures night length.

Flowering in long day plants (henbane, snapdragon, cabbage, spring wheat and barley) is stimulated only if the level of P730 stays above a critical value. Flowering in short day plants (cocklebur, chrysanthemum, soya bean, strawberry and tobacco) is stimulated only if the level of P730 falls below a critical value. The levels of P730 are governed by the duration of dark periods (night).

thank you so much :smile: never understood any of that until now XD
Reply 3716
Explain how the structure of the axon cell membrane is related to the conduction of nerve impulses?! (3 marks)

help?! aha.
Reply 3717
Original post by iesians
u r wrong over there
natural sunlight contains a lot of RED light ! which is absorbed by Pr which then changes into Pfr.

:oops: oh ya u r ryt about that point... sorry i got mixed up:shy2::shy2:
but i mentioned that PR is converted to PFR.......
Reply 3718
thankyouuu :d

ur welcome:smile:
but there is something to correct!!!
natural daylight contain mainly RED light!!!:colondollar:
Reply 3719
How do you calculate the heart rate from an ECG ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending