The Student Room Group

Too afraid to show the doctor my penis

I've been having this problem for quite a while now. I used the wrong soap once during shower and have this small infection (like a bruise).

I went to the doctor today but didn't have the guts to show her my penis. So I literally wasted the appointment (made a story that I have pain in my ear...).

I don't know how to overcome this fear of showing the doctor my penis.

I've read enough of that stuff where people say "Just pretend it's any other ordinary body part" and blah blah, but that doesn't make it any easier.

TL;DR: I have an infection on my penis but don't have the courage of going to the doctor. Help :frown:
You said "her" would it make you more comfortable if the doctor was male? You can ask for a male doctor when you make an appointment.
You really shouldn't care, you are not going to see that doctor again for a long time and they will have probably seen it before anyway so it is not like they are going to laugh or gossip about you when you are gone!
Reply 2
Original post by xXHolly_90Xx
You said "her" would it make you more comfortable if the doctor was male? You can ask for a male doctor when you make an appointment.
You really shouldn't care, you are not going to see that doctor again for a long time and they will have probably seen it before anyway so it is not like they are going to laugh or gossip about you when you are gone!

No, I'm afraid but it's more the opposite. I would be more comfortable showing it to a female doctor than a male (not in any wrong sense or anything). And I don't know, but when I'm at home and when I called for the appointment I was very confident but as soon as I was in the room and she asked me 'How can I help you?', I thought it'd be sooooo awkward if I said what my actual problem was.
Original post by Anonymous
No, I'm afraid but it's more the opposite. I would be more comfortable showing it to a female doctor than a male (not in any wrong sense or anything). And I don't know, but when I'm at home and when I called for the appointment I was very confident but as soon as I was in the room and she asked me 'How can I help you?', I thought it'd be sooooo awkward if I said what my actual problem was.

It's her job, it won't make anything awkward. She'll probably be very good with calming you after you have the courage to first speak :smile:
I had to show a doctor my vagina once because I had an infection. It was the most embarassing moment of my life, I remember lying there and I actually cried because it was so awkward. But it was a female doctor and she was really nice. If you really don't want to tell them, write it down and give it to her.
Reply 5
I had to show a doctor my vagina once because I had an infection. It was the most embarassing moment of my life, I remember lying there and I actually cried because it was so awkward. But it was a female doctor and she was really nice. If you really don't want to tell them, write it down and give it to her.

Write it down to make things even more awkward?
Write it down to make things even more awkward?

How is it more awkward? I've done this in the past and it's not been awkward at all.
Reply 7
How is it more awkward? I've done this in the past and it's not been awkward at all.

I find it quite awkward to give a written note to the doctor when I'm sitting right in front of her.
Just remember that they've seen hundreds in their career, (probably a few a day for a GP, or at least a few a week!), and they'll even have seen and maybe even dissected a few dead ones before. It's really not a big deal, seriously as far as the doctor is concerned its no different to you showing him/her your foot.

I've had to show a doctor my penis a few times before (had a circumcision recently, so had a few appointments with various different doctors where I had to whip it out). It's not the most natural thing in the world, but just remember that the doctor is literally not bothered about seeing it, and you'll be fine. I can think of some other things that are a lot more embarrassing that you could have to show/do in front of a doctor.
I find it quite awkward to give a written note to the doctor when I'm sitting right in front of her.

Well, it's either giving her a note or saying it out loud...
Why not go to a CASH or GUM walk in clinic? They literally see lots of them day in day out! and because its a specific sexual health service it won't be so easy to fob them off. They'll also be very good at putting you at ease.
I want to go and see a gp but im scared of ringing up cause I dont want to ring up and say. Excuse me but can someone look at my penis untill I actually get in the room. Also I dont want anyone finding out and will they put it on there computer system?
Original post by Lethallynxx
I want to go and see a gp but im scared of ringing up cause I dont want to ring up and say. Excuse me but can someone look at my penis untill I actually get in the room. Also I dont want anyone finding out and will they put it on there computer system?

You are aware that when you book an appointment, you don't actually state what the problem is over the phone? The only question you'll be asked is if it is a continence of a problem (if yes, GP will be little more prepared and know what to deal with) or a completely new one. Either wa y, the receptionists doesn't find out, and at the end of the day only the GP will know because you'll tell him in the appointment.

Honestly, OP, if you think there is a problem just show them. At the end of the day their certified Doctors, whom under patient confidentiality, cannot tell anyone and lets be frank, will not want to tell anyone. They don't know who you are. They don't really care. There only job is to make sure you're getting the medical healthcare which is needed if you have a problem. Besides, it's either go see the doctor, or let the infection get worst. There your options, I know which one I'd choose.
Reply 13
Also when you go to GUM clinic those records are kept separate to your general medical records.

--

As an aside, I've worked in a setting where I saw male and lady parts. From professional perspective, we don't look look; like you might a partner or yourself. A professional glance to look for signs of ill health or because we need to look to apply creams and stuff. We want to be respectful and not make you feel any more uncomfortable and vulnerable than you already feel. - I still feel vulnerable when I get a smear even though I know that how a dr views your bits is very different
Just remember that doctors see all sorts of problems and body parts. They would have all seen a penis before and wont judge you. It's not as if they will suddenly point at it and start laughing. They are professionals. Just try not to think about it, if you don't tell the doctor then your infection could lead to something worse.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a picture of the mark. Or a video. Show this to your doctor. They see private things all the time don't worry. I know it's daunting but honestly you'll be fine x
Reply 16
Whatever gross, awful, ugly illness you can think of - your doctor has seen it.
Reply 17
Its because it was a woman doctor. get a male doctor (and no its not 'gay' to have a man examine your penis...!)
The penis is attached to the scrotum which provides seminal fluid to hop up and down on a vagina for ten minutes hop off and order a kebab, and thus ensure the survival of the human species. It is to be treated like a vintage car, washed daily, and once in a while maybe whipped out to invade whatever nice thoughts of his middle class holiday in the Cotswold's the doc may have! instead your penis will be impregnated in his subconcious, he may even compare his todger in the shower once in a while. A woman doc on the other hand will remember the you show me yours i show you mine in the playground, your penis will represent like a neutral oil driller its not going to plunder her lower depths. No just a penis booking appointments to show his penis just take a photo, whatsapp it to her but make sure it don't go viral! man up grow some balls and a penis and get mr whippy with the doc!!!
I know what you mean im only 2 inches and 38 years old No doctor since i was 4 or 5 has seen it I find id be more uncomfortable if it is a guy, Woman (not girls) can tend to be more caring (when sex isnt involved) cause thats not what you are there for where guys and especially your friends make sure you know every day and not just you. but still find it hard

Quick Reply

Latest