The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3720
Original post by pandoraclaire
thank you so much :smile: never understood any of that until now XD

Welcome. If you have any more questions; quote me :]
Reply 3721
Original post by ghogho
ur welcome:smile:
but there is something to correct!!!
natural daylight contain mainly RED light!!!:colondollar:

wait so in the daylight Pfr is converted to Pr and in the dark, Pfr to Pr right?
Reply 3722
Original post by i Pav i
Explain how the structure of the axon cell membrane is related to the conduction of nerve impulses?! (3 marks)

help?! aha.

umm it has sodium pumps and potassium pumps to transfer na and K ions respectively owing to the need of depolarisation or repolarisation
it is also impermeable to na + ions ( i think)
due to the phospholipid nature not allowing charged molecules to pass directly thry them !

xcant think of anything else.
Reply 3723
what snynoptic topics do we need to know for this exam??
Reply 3724
Original post by This Honest
:redface:

Original post by d_94

what do we need to know for this point on the spec,

'explain the principle of negative feedback in maintaining systems within narrow limits'
Reply 3725
Original post by Cleoleo
wait so in the daylight Pfr is converted to Pr and in the dark, Pfr to Pr right?

red light is abosorbed by PR and converted to PFR
Reply 3726
Original post by iesians

Original post by ghogho
r

Original post by d_94
]

Original post by This Honest
o

how can genes be switched on and off using DNA transcription factors including hormones??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3727
Original post by ghogho
red light is abosorbed by PR and converted to PFR

In the daylight?
Reply 3728
Original post by Cleoleo
In the daylight?

yup :smile:
Reply 3729
Original post by wam-bam
how can genes be switched on and off using DNA transcription factors including hormones??

with this q, don't you talk about hormones like anabolic and peptide hormones, with peptide they bind to a receptor on the outside of the cell surface membrane and then this initiates a second messenger which initiates transcription because it causes the RNA polymerase and the transcription factors to form a complex and then bind to the promotor region. While anabolic hormones like testosterone bind to the receptor in the cell directly rather than through a second messenger and has the same effect of intiating transcription.

Although, I'm probs wrong somewhere.
Reply 3730
Original post by ghogho
yup :smile:

kk so Pr to Pfr in daylight and Pfr back to Pr at night, and then there's short day and long day plants, short day require all the Pfr to be converted back to Pr to cause germination (uninterrupted darkness must be more than 12 hours) and long day require some Pfr for flowering (uninterrupted darkness must be less than 12 hours), that's basically all i know about Pfr and Pr, is there anything missing?
Original post by i Pav i
Explain how the structure of the axon cell membrane is related to the conduction of nerve impulses?! (3 marks)

help?! aha.

Contains an Na-K protein channel, which allows the movement (diffusion) of ions from outside membrane inside and vice versa.

These protein channels span the whole of the membrane and without them, ions cannot travel through the membrane due to the phospholipid bilayer being immpermeable.
Reply 3732
Original post by Cleoleo
kk so Pr to Pfr in daylight and Pfr back to Pr at night, and then there's short day and long day plants, short day require all the Pfr to be converted back to Pr to cause germination (uninterrupted darkness must be more than 12 hours) and long day require some Pfr for flowering (uninterrupted darkness must be less than 12 hours), that's basically all i know about Pfr and Pr, is there anything missing?

for the shortday plants the PFr inhibits flowering so these plants flower in winter ie short days and long nights ie low level of PFR (long nights allow PFR made during the day to be converted to PR
for the longday plants : PFR stimulates flowering so these plants flower in summer ie short nights and long day ie hih level of PFR (nights are too short to change all the PFR back to PR.......
Reply 3733
Original post by wam-bam
what do we need to know for this point on the spec,

'explain the principle of negative feedback in maintaining systems within narrow limits'

I think you just need to know that when there's a change from the norm/set point, then the body counteracts the change in the opposite direction and restores it back to this narrow limit (think of it as wave, where if there's a rise from the base line, the body counteracts the change by bringing it back down (in the opposite direction) which is basically what negative feedback is.

Then know what mechanisms the body uses when the external temp is too cold or too hot. So too hot, means sweat glands are active and when sweat evaporates, it cools you down. Liver lowers metabolic rate, skeletal muscles relax, hair erector muslces relax, vasodilation ... I'm not sure whether it's in the spec to know about shunt vessels but they basically contrict when you're hot, so increased blood flow to the surface. Oh, and the hypothalamus being the thermoregulatory centre and skin receptors detecting change.

Opposite for when temperature drops + shivering which increases respiration so more heat generated.

Please quote me if I've forgotten to add details
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3734
Original post by bertiejess
Contains an Na-K protein channel, which allows the movement (diffusion) of ions from outside membrane inside and vice versa.

These protein channels span the whole of the membrane and without them, ions cannot travel through the membrane due to the phospholipid bilayer being immpermeable.

what is the phospholipid bilayer permeable to again? :smile:
Reply 3735
Original post by wam-bam

hormones initiate transcription factors in the cell to bind to a promoter region on DNA
this either INCREASES or DECREASES the rate of transciption of a particular gene.

if it increases then the transcription factor was an activator
if it decreases then it was a repressor.
Reply 3736
Original post by Cleoleo
what is the phospholipid bilayer permeable to again? :smile:

its permeable to carbon dioxide and oxygen kinda stuff ! anything which is not charged and isnt too big.
Reply 3737
Original post by iesians
hormones initiate transcription factors in the cell to bind to a promoter region on DNA
this either INCREASES or DECREASES the rate of transciption of a particular gene.

if it increases then the transcription factor was an activator
if it decreases then it was a repressor.

I thought repressor molecules were comoletely differerent things which could attach to the promoter region or the transcription factors themselves, inhibiting transcription?

so hormones can either turn transcription on or off?
Reply 3738
Original post by iesians
its permeable to carbon dioxide and oxygen kinda stuff ! anything which is not charged and isnt too big.

ahh kk thank you :smile:

what synoptic stuff do we need to know?
Reply 3739
Original post by Cleoleo
I thought repressor molecules were comoletely differerent things which could attach to the promoter region or the transcription factors themselves, inhibiting transcription?

so hormones can either turn transcription on or off?

umm nope transcription factors act as repressor or activators
its in CGP guide page 67.

and hormones ACTIVATE THE TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS which then act as either represoor or activator ans determine the transcription rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending