The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3 - Pastoral

Anyone doing the elements of the pastoral?

I'm doing Blue Remembered Hills, As You Like It and Huckleberry Finn.

Kinda nervous, but at least its not as hard as LITB1.

Scroll to see replies

yeah, i'm doing as you like it, songs of innocence and experience/blake poetry and brideshead revisited. absolutely dreading it! i can easily write high mark essays with the help of the texts, but without them i'm useless haha.
Reply 2
Original post by beccafairy
yeah, i'm doing as you like it, songs of innocence and experience/blake poetry and brideshead revisited. absolutely dreading it! i can easily write high mark essays with the help of the texts, but without them i'm useless haha.

Thinking of doing AYLI for Section A? I really want to but if they ask some stupid question about position of women or Orlando as a hero then -_-
I'm doing Pastoral for this exam. We have studied 'As You Like It,' 'Blue Remembered Hills' and a selection of 1300-1800 poetry. Feeling confident except for learning the myriad quotations.
Original post by TheLocomotive
Thinking of doing AYLI for Section A? I really want to but if they ask some stupid question about position of women or Orlando as a hero then -_-

i want to as well, but yeah, saw that question and now i'm scared it'll be horrible! if i really have to i'll do blake for my section A, but it's harder for me to remember quotations and such from different poems rather than one book/play.
Reply 5
Original post by portions/foxes
I'm doing Pastoral for this exam. We have studied 'As You Like It,' 'Blue Remembered Hills' and a selection of 1300-1800 poetry. Feeling confident except for learning the myriad quotations.

I'm glad that I'm doing BLH because its a short play and easier to analyse and provide alternative interpretations to.

i want to as well, but yeah, saw that question and now i'm scared it'll be horrible! if i really have to i'll do blake for my section A, but it's harder for me to remember quotations and such from different poems rather than one book/play.

I think people worry about quotes so much, you don't need to stick more than 1 relevant quote into a paragraph to support your point o.o

I've looked through exemplar essays that got 40/40 and they aren't filled with a barrage of quotes at all :3
I think people worry about quotes so much, you don't need to stick more than 1 relevant quote into a paragraph to support your point o.o

I've looked through exemplar essays that got 40/40 and they aren't filled with a barrage of quotes at all :3

i know, but it's remembering a range of quotes that could fit into any question that's the problem! we'll see how it goes anyway, hopefully the questions will be nice.
Yeah, it's not about cramming as many quotes as possible in but it's useful to remember as many as possible.

I'm probably going to do the poetry for the first section, more variety I think. We haven't done enough on 'Blue Remembered Hills' to answer a full question on it unfortunately. I wish we had studies 'Huckleberry Finn' which I adore but there you go! 'As You Like It' is really interesting but it's probably the least favourite Shakespeare text I've studied.
Reply 8
Anyone else starting to panick a little? :confused:
Reply 9
Does anyone have any good points on strucutre for As YOu LIke it to get your AO2 in?
Reply 10
anybody have examples of full-marked ums essays? :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 11

yessss!!!
Reply 12
Original post by 98DS11
Does anyone have any good points on strucutre for As YOu LIke it to get your AO2 in?

Structure is not so bad for AYLI. You can talk about how parallels are drawn between certain Acts/Scenes.
- For example how the first encounter the audience is presented between Orlando and Oliver in the first Scene is marred by vindictiveness and hate (disregarding familiar ties) typical of those those who exist in court. Yet the next instance where Orlando and Oliver are together are when they are both in Arden, with Orlando saving the life of the one he absolutely detested. So you can talk about how the pastoral 'works is magic', calms rage, teaches morality, better than the courts blah blah.

- You may also as a counter to AYLI being pastoral talk about how the outright ludicrousness of the play's conclusion, which undermines its pastoral aspects means to say that AYLI is not really a pastoral play at all.

Original post by itslaura7

Yep got 5 example scripts (though they're to do with the texts I'm doing). Can't upload them here though, the files are too big o.o

ha, a little.
Original post by itslaura7

There's a school website who've uploaded some full UMS exam scripts, they might not be doing the same texts as you but might be useful

http://intranet.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/english/-as2-literature/litb3-full-ums-scripts
Reply 15
How did the people who did pastoral find it?
Reply 16

the Tess question was not too hard spoke a lot about the impact of modernity and the negative descriptions of Flintcomb ash as well as the Durbeyfiel's problems due to their social class.

I did the resitance question for B, it was a good question

loved the as you like it question! the blake poetry question was good too, so it was good to have the choice. chose AYLI though of course haha. :smile: the part B kind of threw me off though, i don't think i had consistently strong points. how about you?
Reply 18
Original post by 98DS11
the Tess question was not too hard spoke a lot about the impact of modernity and the negative descriptions of Flintcomb ash as well as the Durbeyfiel's problems due to their social class.

I did the resitance question for B, it was a good question

I found that all section B questions were quite sucky, worst selection compared to the previous years but I think I wrote a decent section b essay, we'll see lol
loved the as you like it question! the blake poetry question was good too, so it was good to have the choice. chose AYLI though of course haha. :smile: the part B kind of threw me off though, i don't think i had consistently strong points. how about you?

Yea the AYLI question was really good chose to do Blue Remembered Hills though because that question was amazing.

I did the home one for section b which was an alright question hopefully I did well enough :3
I found the questions great but I didn't think my answers were equally that :P. I'm alright with Section B (resistance to change) though I didn't manage to write a conclusion... but I might have screwed up my Section A structure. Hope the grade boundaries aren't too high! Did AYLI for A and AYLI, Huckleberry Finn and Brideshead Revisited for Section B.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending