The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3780
Original post by Cleoleo
where can we find the synoptic topics we need to know?
and omgg, you are sooo prepared dudee!

Well for the synoptic questions related to the article, check the relevant questions in this doc: http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/Scientific-Article-Questions-Answers-by-Stafford-Final

You have to revise evrything that seems relevant from the unit 1, unit 2 and unit 4 spec. Just takes an hour or two really so don't delay.

Well, I sat for the exam last june but just helping out now.
Reply 3781
Original post by ghogho
thaaaaaaaaaanks alooooot u r such a great person :biggrin:

You are welcome. Study well.

Original post by 19941994
Wow thank you so much thats really good advice :biggrin:
Also thanks for the link to the questions that Sir Redden suggested, really useful :smile:

Welcomes dear. Good Luck.
Reply 3782
Original post by nadzzdan
if you find it could you post a link on here please? thanks

Here you are: http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/S...Stafford-Final
Reply 3783
Original post by ishtarbb
Sorry but can you send them to me as well? i mean if you not gonna upload them here:tongue:
im a private student and got really few resources:s-smilie:
thank you so much!

Sure, by tonight I will quote you.
Even I did my Edexcel A/Ls privately.
You are welcome.
Original post by This Honest
You would be doing me a massive favour if you could send me the notes too
Congrats on that awesome score.

Sure, I will quote you by tonight.
Thanks a lot.
Original post by ghogho
thank u sooooooo much :biggrin::smile:

You are welcome.
Original post by greenhamrolls
Hi there, I saw you that you might be able to help with some revision materials etc? I'm so stressed with this exam and I only need a C, but I just can't get the questions right. I've learnt most of the stuff from the textbook but i'm finding it so difficult to apply it to the paper.
I literally just need like 55-60% (or higher :wink:)to be able to get what I need so I can go to uni..
Could you offer any advice?

Well, I gave some article-specific advice above and I would highly stress upon learning these Qns/Ans by Sir V. Redden: http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/S...Stafford-Final
Last year, I used the Qns/Ans predicted by him and many qns in the exam were similar to what he predicted.
Also, I will upload some very good notes by tonight that will hopefully help a lot. Those combined with learning the revision guide and reading the textbook will do the job.
Original post by 19941994
Also would you be able to send me the revision notes today please? Would appreciate it! :smile:

Sure, by tonight I will quote you also.
Reply 3784
Original post by iesians
BACKFLIP IS DA MAAAAN !!! :tongue:

Thanks ^.^

Hope its useful
Reply 3785
so guys what are all the questions that we can expect for the article xO?????
Reply 3786
waiting for the stuff M Kh is gonna post today !!!!
Is the myelin sheath the phospholipid bylayer of a neuron?
Reply 3788
Original post by rudizzy123

NOOOO myelin sheath is made up of schwaan cells ! it is wraped around axon MEMBRANE
this axon MEMBRANE is made up of phospholipid bilayer.!
Reply 3789

no theyre made up of schwann cells which are made up of lipids. they act as electrical insulators preventing the movement of ions around the part its wrapped on the axon. there are breakages though that occur regularly which are called nodes of ranvier. only ions pass through the membrane at nodes of ranvier. this allows saltatory conduction, which is the 'jumping' of an impulse from node to node. this way the action potential travels much quicker than a regular wave.
Reply 3790
Can someone please explain different types of synapses please? im reading the CGP and student book but not getting anywhere. thanks
Reply 3791
Please like this page: http://www.facebook.com/6bio4

Let the world know about Edexcel's mistakes. We need more likers. Share this page with everyone. Tell your school friends and fellows about it.
I ask for this favour.
Please don't ignore this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3792
Please like this page: http://www.facebook.com/6bio4

We need more and more likers. The world must know about Edexcel's mistakes. Share this with your friends.
I ask for this favour.
Original post by iesians
NOOOO myelin sheath is made up of schwaan cells ! it is wraped around axon MEMBRANE
this axon MEMBRANE is made up of phospholipid bilayer.!

no theyre made up of schwann cells which are made up of lipids. they act as electrical insulators preventing the movement of ions around the part its wrapped on the axon. there are breakages though that occur regularly which are called nodes of ranvier. only ions pass through the membrane at nodes of ranvier. this allows saltatory conduction, which is the 'jumping' of an impulse from node to node. this way the action potential travels much quicker than a regular wave.

Thank you both. So I am I correct in saying the myelin sheath prevents the transfer of all ions including sodium (na+) and potassium (k+) and the phopholipid bilayer which is present all along the neuron, allows the transfer of na and k but prevents large molecules from passing through?
Reply 3795
Thank you both. So I am I correct in saying the myelin sheath prevents the transfer of all ions including sodium (na+) and potassium (k+) and the phopholipid bilayer which is present all along the neuron, allows the transfer of na and k but prevents large molecules from passing through?

the bilayer only allows flow of ions due to specific channels and carrier proteins. without those they would not be able to pass through because they are polar. only non polar molecules can pass through the membrane :biggrin:
the bilayer only allows flow of ions due to specific channels and carrier proteins. without those they would not be able to pass through because they are polar. only non polar molecules can pass through the membrane :biggrin:

This is going to sound so so stupid, but i'm the type of person who gets the difficult things right and gets the absoloute sitters wrong but

What is the difference between a polar and non-polar ion ? :frown:
Reply 3797
This is going to sound so so stupid, but i'm the type of person who gets the difficult things right and gets the absoloute sitters wrong but

What is the difference between a polar and non-polar ion ? :frown:

ions are always polar. polar basically means it has a charge
ions are always polar. polar basically means it has a charge

Thank you. Needless to say, I didn't take Chemistry.
Reply 3799
Thank you. Needless to say, I didn't take Chemistry.

dont worry, last week i didnt know what a Genome was...:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending