The Student Room Group

McKinsey & Company Leadership Academy 2012

Hi Everyone,

I thought that some of you might be interested in this year's McKinsey & Company Leadership Academy for Sixth Form Students. http://www.mckinsey.com/locations/UK_Ireland/Recruiting_Events/Leadership_academy.aspx

I guess I can only speak for myself (I got into last year's programme which was the first time they had ever done it, which is also probably why it's not been big news on tsr)

This is an absolute must (as in MUST) for any ambitious student.

Basically, this programme changed my life (might sound like a cliché I know but it's genuinely true)

Some of my highlights for what happened to me afterwards include

Being awarded the UBS Award for Outstanding Students 2011
Work Experience on the trading floor at Credit Suisse
Summer Work Experience offer from Magic Circle Law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Work experience with Corporate Law firm Nabarro LLP
Summer Work Experience offer from Japanese Technology Company Fujitsu

^the reason I've mentioned those is that everyone (literally everyone) who I've worked with on my work experience has said that this was a VERY impressive accolade to have on a CV and it seems to be true, I got all the work experience without any contacts (so not because rich daddy made a phone call to a friend type thing) and the fact that I'm a Cambridge reject didn't seem to stop me either.

Hope it helps (sorry about the essay, my intentions were good)

Good luck to anyone/everyone looking to apply!

Raza Rasul Chaudhry =)

P.S.

I would just like to point out that McKinsey is not the be all and end all, but here's if you like my 'advice' on this, if you apply for it then you have a small chance of getting an offer, if you don't apply for it, then you have no chance at all, so you might as well just go for it

and for anyone running out of motivation, they served us a lot of very + free food at Wellington College last year (well I say free, the McKinsey guys paid for it so it's all good :wink: ) =)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The programme looks very average, I doubt people are that impressed by it.
Reply 2
Original post by SW1X
The programme looks very average, I doubt people are that impressed by it.

I think it's probably the brand name of the firm that got the people's attention (I myself am only on their leadership programme but getting a job with McKinsey is probably harder then getting into any of the Bulde Bracket Investment Banks, like UBS, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley etc..... -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinsey_%26_Company
Reply 3
You have work experience with freshfields, how did you go about getting that, i thought they only took second years?
Reply 4
Original post by bmqib
You have work experience with freshfields, how did you go about getting that, i thought they only took second years?

Yeah I'm going there for 2 weeks in the summer. it's a (very) long story. I'd be happy to help in terms of how I did it/give advice, facebook me raza rasul chaudhry (i'm very rarely on tsr, literally just logged in earlier to start the mckinsey thread) i'm the asian one in the suit

yeah they do, basically the way it works with (more or less) every major player in areas like the city/canary wharf/wall street etc.... is that they'll all tell you that they don't take pre universitiy students, they all do (if you know the right people) i managed to get in by my own merits but had a long journey on the way, for now my advice is/would be to focus on the summer exams, (work experience stuff can be worried about after wards)

hope it helps!

raza
You haven't actually said anything about the programme itself. Did you enjoy it? What was the content like? I think people are going to naturally be sceptical about something you've only complimented for what it enabled you to do afterwards.
Reply 6
Who got in? Best news this month by far
Reply 7
Original post by Part A
Who got in? Best news this month by far

I did :smile:
Got in! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Absolutely over the moon, makes up for missing the JP Morgan insight days!
Reply 9
Original post by totell
I did :smile:

Original post by HeyyImRyan

Nice, where you guys travelling from? I've got a 4 hour train journey there and back! no point driving...anyway looking forward to it, see you there.
Reply 10
Original post by crafty bison
You haven't actually said anything about the programme itself. Did you enjoy it? What was the content like? I think people are going to naturally be sceptical about something you've only complimented for what it enabled you to do afterwards.

(really sorry about taking forever to reply, I haven't been on tsr in quite while) sorry about that, reason why i didn't worry about focusing on the programme itself was because i (think if i remember correctly) i attached the link to the website on the thread somewhere? (the idea being that, that would people from having to read a long winded essay and be able to find out more info on the website)

about people being naturally sceptical, that's their choice, at the end of the day, i'm not gaining anything by letting other people know about the programme (just makes me feel good about myself that i'm trying to spread the word to help others benefit the way i did)

if there's people who decided to be sceptical about what i had to say, then i guess there's not much that i could have done, (i'm not their mum so) am not going to tell people what to think, they could have very easily clicked on the link (or use google for if i forgot to put the link on), get the info and make up their mind (not rocket science) and about mckinsey being a big/prestigious name, all you have to do is look at mckinsey's wikipidia page and you'll be able to get more of an idea of what it is that they do/they're position in the industry etc..... (does that answer your questions?)

raza =)
Reply 11
Original post by Part A
Nice, where you guys travelling from? I've got a 4 hour train journey there and back! no point driving...anyway looking forward to it, see you there.

Original post by HeyyImRyan

Nice one guys! congrats on getting the offers! I wouldn't worry about missing the jpm programme, they rejected me last year only to then give me an offer for this year's programme, they rejected a mate (who is/was on last year's mckinsey programme with me) last year, he then went on to get an offer from harvard (so fear not, these recruiters don't necessarily get it always right + there's always next year), my top tip for next year would be to apply as soon as they open their applications (they gave out a couple of offers early this year)

hope exams went/are going well for everyone and see you guys in the summer!

raza =)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Was looking for their webpage on this and stumbled onto this thread.

Just applied for this year's process, just managed to get it in for the deadline today! Hope I'll get in, 2000 words + a CV seems a bit arduous though, I'd be surprised if anyone actually reads more than 200 words considering the amount of applications I have no doubt they'll receive.

Got rejection from the Merrill Lynch 'banking uncovered' scheme a few days ago, so I hope I can get in on this. Will apply next year for Merrill anyway, and JP Morgan since you guys have mentioned it here, though I had no idea about it this year.
Reply 13
I applied for this program literally on the deadline day last tuesday, I didn't receive an confirmation for my application or any emails at all from McKinsey, is this normal?
Reply 14
Original post by mohamed68
I applied for this program literally on the deadline day last tuesday, I didn't receive an confirmation for my application or any emails at all from McKinsey, is this normal?

Aren't you a Year 13 student? This is only meant for Year 12s as far as I'm aware..may be why you don't hear back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Part A
Aren't you a Year 13 student? This is only meant for Year 12s as far as I'm aware..may be why you don't hear back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I'm in year 13, in fact I got an offer for the 2013 programme this summer today!
I think the programme is actually for year 12's so what do I do this is strange........
Reply 16
Original post by mohamed68
Yes I'm in year 13, in fact I got an offer for the 2013 programme this summer today!
I think the programme is actually for year 12's so what do I do this is strange........

Funny that, prove it..?
Reply 17
I've currently in Year 12, and got a reply a little while back, confirming my place on the academy course. Look forward to seeing anyone else accepted on the residential, in a few weeks time. :smile: I can't wait!
I too have just stumbled across this a whole year on. I hope you still use this, but I don't know where else I will find advice. I was just wondering if you had work experience before you guys applied? I literally have none and I haven't applied yet but I want to, I'm just not sure if I am good enough. Please help. :confused:
Hello guys,

Thought some of you might find some of the documents here of some use. Here's the link to the mini website which got put together a while back: http://razachaudhry.wix.com/lifeproblems

Hope that you're having a nice evening,

Raza =)

Quick Reply