The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by irvingxx
which avenues? is the route same as bus route?

The road called The Avenues. If you leave the uni by turning left at the entrance near INTO it is the first right turn there.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 441
Firmed UEA a week ago, am I right in assuming that I won't get an email telling me where to choose accommodation & etc until after I've filled in my student finance thing on track?
Original post by Saphfire
Firmed UEA a week ago, am I right in assuming that I won't get an email telling me where to choose accommodation & etc until after I've filled in my student finance thing on track?

you can apply for accomodation online now, it has nothing to do with student finance which again isn't on track. you've done everything you need to on track now having made your firm (and possibly insurance choice)
In what time period do medicine interviews tend to happen?

Would an interview ever happen before the Christmas holiday?
Original post by Phoebe_in_uk
hello everyone. i am a second year student in UEA and i am learning Japanese now. i have to say that it is a very valuable moudle. actually i am quite enjoy it, you know i am learning Japanese for the whole year. the teachers are very very nice! patient, easy-going lady. class atmosphere is good and of course we have enough activities and pratices during class. i also want to study it for next semester. if you have any questions just feel free to ask me. ^^

Hi was wondering if the Japanese courses are likely to be oversubscribed for 2012 entry, and if the school is lenient if you miss your grades. Im starting to get pretty worried about not meeting my offer lol :eek:
can any current students tell me when the exam results come out? and if there is a pass list published?
Original post by jelly1000
can any current students tell me when the exam results come out? and if there is a pass list published?

Dunno if it's different for arts but we got an email from the ENV-HUB saying we should receive an email telling us how to view our results, by no later than 10am on the 6th July.
Original post by makingamemory
Dunno if it's different for arts but we got an email from the ENV-HUB saying we should receive an email telling us how to view our results, by no later than 10am on the 6th July.

hmm thats quite late :/ guessing it must be though because i havent had such an email, unless the arts hub are just being slow
hmm thats quite late :/ guessing it must be though because i havent had such an email, unless the arts hub are just being slow

We've had emails reminding us since before the exam period :tongue: To be fair they have 8x170 papers to mark in ENV for just our year, so waiting a month sounds about right. We've waited longer for just one coursework piece back.

CHE hub gave the same date, it might be a standard one.
Original post by chrisawhitmore
CHE hub gave the same date, it might be a standard one.

cheers chris (tis jess btw)
cheers chris (tis jess btw)

Small world.
Original post by chrisawhitmore
Small world.

indeed
Reply 453
Heyy :smile: does anybody know any current ecology students or know anything about the course? Just wondering what it might actually be like as a student :P
Original post by halie:)
Heyy :smile: does anybody know any current ecology students or know anything about the course? Just wondering what it might actually be like as a student :P

I only know about the ENV modules that ecology students take (GEC, Sustainabilty & society, Chemistry, Biodiversity) if you have any questions about those?
Reply 455
I only know about the ENV modules that ecology students take (GEC, Sustainabilty & society, Chemistry, Biodiversity) if you have any questions about those?

OOO yes please! :smile: What are the courses like in terms of content, lecturers and class sizes? Also would you know approximately how many Ecology students there are each year kinda thing?
Thanks for replying :smile: xx

Pass lists out on the 3rd July :smile:
Original post by tnedutS waL
Pass lists out on the 3rd July :smile:

darn it, i'll be in hospital then having an operation with no internet access
Original post by halie:)
OOO yes please! :smile: What are the courses like in terms of content, lecturers and class sizes? Also would you know approximately how many Ecology students there are each year kinda thing?
Thanks for replying :smile: xx

I don't know if it'll be the same for your year as everywhere had a huge influx with the rising tuition fees, but for all of them there was about 170-200 in lectures, especially GEC as you have all ENV students (and there's 170 of us alone!) plus ecology, natural science, visiting international students etc. For labs/seminars because of the huge number they would run them twice, and have one half, one day and the other half another day, but the content will be the exact same.

For all of the modules there are two 1 hour lectures and a 3 hour lab/seminar.

GEC (Global Environmental Challenges) - probably my favourite module of the year, and lasts a whole semester. The main aim is to give you an overview of four challenges (Biodiversity&natural resources/climate change/natural hazards/energy&water) as well as the whole idea of env. sciences being interdisciplinary. Because of that you have a different lecturer each lecture who will talk about their outlook of each challenge i.e. a natural science/economic/political/social point of view. Involves an exam, a group presentation (which doesn't count to your final mark, just formative), and a 3000 word individual essay on a topic of your choice regarding one of the challenges.

Sustainability & Society - oh lord (*realised I have no idea how to describe this one*) starts of describing what sustainability/sustainable development is, looking at the politics/economics of it. Then moves on to how it has been used in different aspects of society (transport, retail etc.) and the challenges we face with applying sustainability. There is also a three hour seminar on bread... Even though it doesn't sound like it, I did find the lectures (well some) interesting.

Earths Chemical Processes - If you haven't done A level chemistry, the first 6 weeks are like a crash course in basic chemistry. What you learn in the lectures helps you to answer the worksheets you're given each week in the labs, which are to help you practice for the test. The test is in week 7 and it's similar to the worksheets (and is open book! thank god). Then for your coursework you go to Hunstanton beach (except when we went in Feb, it snowed haha), you collect rock samples to test in the labs and then answer some questions. If you have A level chem, you miss all of that and join those who haven't for the last 6 weeks of the module which is based on Environmental Chemistry (acid rain, photochemical smog, ocean acidification, hydrology, clay chemistry). Those who did A level Chem then have their own labs for the last 6 weeks, and I'm not sure what they did as I hadn't done A level chem.

Biodiversity - If you have done A level Biology the genetics section is a breeze, you do spend an awful lot of time in one lecture talking about abnormal sperm :tongue: As an ecology student this will be the one module you'll definitely be interested in haha. You cover things such as habitat fragmentation/destruction, effects of climate change on species/habitats, protection of habitats, extinction of species/overexploitation etc. For a lot of the labs you're out and about in the broad/woods sampling and there is a trip in week 12 to Strumpshaw Fen reserve.

The lecturers for all of those are all lovely, some of them are a tad bonkers. You'll see if you have the same polar bear lecture we had for GEC. I'm afraid I don't know how many ecology students there are, but i'd say there was at least 20? Which sounds small, but for the 1st year in ENV (except met&oceans/EGID) we don't have any optional modules, they're all core, so all 170+ of us are doing the same modules regardless of our course until yr 2. Like for Earth Sciences there are only 30 of us on the actual course.

Whoa essay.
Reply 459
I don't know if it'll be the same for your year as everywhere had a huge influx with the rising tuition fees, but for all of them there was about 170-200 in lectures, especially GEC as you have all ENV students (and there's 170 of us alone!) plus ecology, natural science, visiting international students etc. For labs/seminars because of the huge number they would run them twice, and have one half, one day and the other half another day, but the content will be the exact same.

For all of the modules there are two 1 hour lectures and a 3 hour lab/seminar.

GEC (Global Environmental Challenges) - probably my favourite module of the year, and lasts a whole semester. The main aim is to give you an overview of four challenges (Biodiversity&natural resources/climate change/natural hazards/energy&water) as well as the whole idea of env. sciences being interdisciplinary. Because of that you have a different lecturer each lecture who will talk about their outlook of each challenge i.e. a natural science/economic/political/social point of view. Involves an exam, a group presentation (which doesn't count to your final mark, just formative), and a 3000 word individual essay on a topic of your choice regarding one of the challenges.

Sustainability & Society - oh lord (*realised I have no idea how to describe this one*) starts of describing what sustainability/sustainable development is, looking at the politics/economics of it. Then moves on to how it has been used in different aspects of society (transport, retail etc.) and the challenges we face with applying sustainability. There is also a three hour seminar on bread... Even though it doesn't sound like it, I did find the lectures (well some) interesting.

Earths Chemical Processes - If you haven't done A level chemistry, the first 6 weeks are like a crash course in basic chemistry. What you learn in the lectures helps you to answer the worksheets you're given each week in the labs, which are to help you practice for the test. The test is in week 7 and it's similar to the worksheets (and is open book! thank god). Then for your coursework you go to Hunstanton beach (except when we went in Feb, it snowed haha), you collect rock samples to test in the labs and then answer some questions. If you have A level chem, you miss all of that and join those who haven't for the last 6 weeks of the module which is based on Environmental Chemistry (acid rain, photochemical smog, ocean acidification, hydrology, clay chemistry). Those who did A level Chem then have their own labs for the last 6 weeks, and I'm not sure what they did as I hadn't done A level chem.

Biodiversity - If you have done A level Biology the genetics section is a breeze, you do spend an awful lot of time in one lecture talking about abnormal sperm :tongue: As an ecology student this will be the one module you'll definitely be interested in haha. You cover things such as habitat fragmentation/destruction, effects of climate change on species/habitats, protection of habitats, extinction of species/overexploitation etc. For a lot of the labs you're out and about in the broad/woods sampling and there is a trip in week 12 to Strumpshaw Fen reserve.

The lecturers for all of those are all lovely, some of them are a tad bonkers. You'll see if you have the same polar bear lecture we had for GEC. I'm afraid I don't know how many ecology students there are, but i'd say there was at least 20? Which sounds small, but for the 1st year in ENV (except met&oceans/EGID) we don't have any optional modules, they're all core, so all 170+ of us are doing the same modules regardless of our course until yr 2. Like for Earth Sciences there are only 30 of us on the actual course.

Whoa essay.

Hey! Thanks so much :smile: Soo exited to start! (provding i get the results :erm: ) The modules sound great :smile: at least everything except chem which is gladly optional for ecology, particularly after the joke that was AS chem :P. 200 seems quite large but from what you've said it's managed quite well :smile:
Ahh okay, i think it might be different for ecology becuase i think we have one module to introduce us to all the techniques and core literature, so perhaps that might be small...either way, it's UEA so it's bound to be brilliant! :bigsmile:
Hhaha bread? I'll be looking forward to that then lol!
Thanks again :smile: and sorry for the ridiculous over enthusiasm btw...
x

Quick Reply