The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3920
Original post by iesians
waiting for the stuff M Kh is gonna post today !!!!

Original post by ishtarbb
Sorry but can you send them to me as well? i mean if you not gonna upload them here:tongue:
im a private student and got really few resources:s-smilie:
thank you so much!

Original post by This Honest
You would be doing me a massive favour if you could send me the notes too
Congrats on that awesome score.

Original post by ghogho
thank u sooooooo much :biggrin::smile:

Original post by greenhamrolls
Hi there, I saw you that you might be able to help with some revision materials etc? I'm so stressed with this exam and I only need a C, but I just can't get the questions right. I've learnt most of the stuff from the textbook but i'm finding it so difficult to apply it to the paper.
I literally just need like 55-60% (or higher :wink:)to be able to get what I need so I can go to uni..
Could you offer any advice?

Original post by 19941994
Also would you be able to send me the revision notes today please? Would appreciate it! :smile:

Here you are guys. Attached.
Actually, these aren't made by me. A fellow TSRer uploaded these last year. All rights reserved and all credits to the original uplaoder.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3921
Original post by rudizzy123
How long is this exam? Past papers fluctuate between 1 hr 30 and 1 hr 45?

1 hour 45 :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 3922
Original post by britchick
Experiencing genuine fear for this exam. Do not feel prepared at all.

You're not alone. Im so worried ahh! :frown: tomorrow is going to be such a stressful day

Reply 3923
Original post by M Kh
Here you are guys. Attached.
Actually, these aren't made by me. A fellow TSRer uploaded these last year. All rights reserved and all credits to the original uplaoder.

Thanks so much, you're amazing :biggrin:

Reply 3924
Original post by ishtarbb
Sorry but can you send them to me as well? i mean if you not gonna upload them here:tongue:
im a private student and got really few resources:s-smilie:
thank you so much!

Original post by This Honest
You would be doing me a massive favour if you could send me the notes too
Congrats on that awesome score.

Original post by ghogho
thank u sooooooo much :biggrin::smile:

Original post by greenhamrolls
Hi there, I saw you that you might be able to help with some revision materials etc? I'm so stressed with this exam and I only need a C, but I just can't get the questions right. I've learnt most of the stuff from the textbook but i'm finding it so difficult to apply it to the paper.
I literally just need like 55-60% (or higher :wink:)to be able to get what I need so I can go to uni..
Could you offer any advice?

Also would you be able to send me the revision notes today please? Would appreciate it! :smile:

Unit 5 topic 8 notes will be attached tomorrow. Can't find them now. I will try my best to upload them tomorrow.
1 hour 45 :smile:

It says on the edexcel specification 1 hour 45 :/
How many core practicals are there?

spirometer - jan 2012
respiration - jun 2011
and habituation?

am i right? Is it likely habituation will come up?
Reply 3927
It says on the edexcel specification 1 hour 45 :/

Yeah thats what i said lol :smile:

Yeah thats what i said lol :smile:

1.30* my bad :frown:
Reply 3929
How many core practicals are there?

spirometer - jan 2012
respiration - jun 2011
and habituation?

am i right? Is it likely habituation will come up?

Very likely but rather revise all of them to be on the safe side
Reply 3930
Original post by M Kh
Unit 5 topic 8 notes will be attached tomorrow. Can't find them now. I will try my best to upload them tomorrow.

thx alot and sry for tiering u :smile::colondollar:
Reply 3931
1.30* my bad :frown:

Oh right, no its definitely 1 hour 45 dw. The january 2012 paper says 1hr 45 so it will be the same for our paper

How much revision of AS/unit 4 stuff have people done?
Oh right, no its definitely 1 hour 45 dw. The january 2012 paper says 1hr 45 so it will be the same for our paper

Fair enough :smile: It doesn't matter too much, eithier 10 minute each for the first 6 question or slightly over anyway.

Do you know which core practicals there are btw?
Some of you are quite likely to have seen this already but thought I'd share for those of you who haven't. This guy has taught me a large proportion of what my teachers failed to teach me, and he's so adorable!

[video="youtube;O6bInBQXtmM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6bInBQXtmM&list=PL9CAF3DEF0A718A50&index=100&feature=plpp_video[/video]

Obviously not syllabus-specific, but he covers pretty much everything you're likely to need!
Reply 3935
Fair enough :smile: It doesn't matter too much, eithier 10 minute each for the first 6 question or slightly over anyway.

Do you know which core practicals there are btw?

I think 15 minutes will make a big difference! Especially as we'll constantly be referring to the article :/

Yeah i think its just the habituation practical, the spirometer practical and measuring the uptake of O2 (insects) :smile:

Reply 3936
Can someone explain how the medulla controls breathing rate?
Hey guys!
There is something from the scientific article in paragraph 20 that I don't understand:

"Brains of rats alternating between healthy and unhealthy foods... show significantly recruitments of neural circuits (CRF system) involved in stress reactions and promote the 'compulsive selection' of unhealthy food and undereating of healthy food.'

What does this mean?! Thanks!
Original post by Freyma
Can someone explain how the medulla controls breathing rate?

Medulla contains the inspiratory systems involved. So the mechanism is that if we increase exercise, there is greater CO2 concentration inside our blood and therefore chemoreceptors detect this and send impulses to the medulla.
To stimulate breathing, more frequent impulses are sent from the inspiratory centre to the intercostal muscles and diaphragm, causing them to contract more often and allowing greater tidal volume and breathing rate therefore increases.
Original post by avataraang
Hey guys!
There is something from the scientific article in paragraph 20 that I don't understand:

"Brains of rats alternating between healthy and unhealthy foods... show significantly recruitments of neural circuits (CRF system) involved in stress reactions and promote the 'compulsive selection' of unhealthy food and undereating of healthy food.'

What does this mean?! Thanks!

The CRF system is the corticotrophin-releasing factor system. It mediates stress :smile:

So testing in rats showed that alternating between healthy and unhealthy food increased stress reactions and causes them to compulsively select the unhealthy food.

And again simplifying..
The rats switching between healthy and unhealthy food stressed them out, and made them pick the unhealthy food. (Like stress/comfort eating?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending