The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4060
can someone go through all the core practicals lol
Reply 4061
Omg last exam 2mr partyyyyy but need to revise for now... :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Absolutely bricking it. I feel I know nothing. And even when I do read over notes nothing goes in. Genuine fear and panic setting in right now...
Reply 4063
someone tell me about positive feedback mechanism ??!?!?! and its use in thernoregulation after a temeprature limit is crossed ..?!?
Reply 4064
Hope plants dont come up i hate plants... :angry:
Original post by VickyDoodle
Always go by what the SNAB book says, CGP's for a different spec.

SNAB book (ann fullik) makes alota mistakes! for e.g. they say that neurotransmitter is released when an action potential is generated in the bipolar cell which is totally wrong. And also they mixed up the H zones and A bands in the sliding fillament section.
Reply 4066
Original post by abbas1994
When a change encourages further changes of the same sort to occur, i.e. when the sodium channels change shape in the action potential, it starts off with a few channels opening, and then lods of channels open

umm yyeah
i was asking in the context of thermoregulation ?!
Original post by iesians
someone tell me about positive feedback mechanism ??!?!?! and its use in thernoregulation after a temeprature limit is crossed ..?!?

I'm pretty sure negative feedback occurs in thermoregulation...
Reply 4068
Original post by iesians

isnt that negative feedback? i maybe wrong...
Reply 4069
Original post by lagoom
hey, thanks for uploading your notes!
in your notes it says pr gets converted to pfr at night, i thought pfr gets converted to pr at night as the pr form is more energetically stable, even though pfr is the biologically active one, chemicals tend to revert to their energetically stable form

You are welcome.
Actually, these notes were made and uploaded by someone else last year. So, it's better if you cross-verify with your textbook if you doubt something.
Reply 4070
Original post by abbas1994
I'm pretty sure negative feedback occurs in thermoregulation...

umm its negative feedback upto a point! once a temp limit si crossed it becomes positive feedback to protect hypothalamus somethign !! thats whats im confused on !
Reply 4071
Original post by Omar1994
can someone go through all the core practicals lol

habitation
obtain a large african snail
place it on a clean, firm surface, leave it for a couple of minutes to let it get use to its surroundings
get a dampened cotton bud, use it to touch the eye stalk
immediately start the stop watch, time how long it takes for the eye stalk to fully extend again
repeat this process 10 times

respiration
essemble a respirometer
place actively respiring organisms on a gauze in the test tube of the respiriometer, also put soda lime
open the tap for one minute then close it, measure the distance travelled by the liquid
repaat this further times
rate of respiration can be found
(sorry, i know it's not a very good explanation)

and i cba to go through the spirometer one now :redface:
Reply 4072
I have noticed that on the mark schemes they say "diffusion gradient" is this just the same as concentration gradient?
Reply 4073
Original post by lagoom
habitation
obtain a large african snail
place it on a clean, firm surface, leave it for a couple of minutes to let it get use to its surroundings
get a dampened cotton bud, use it to touch the eye stalk
immediately start the stop watch, time how long it takes for the eye stalk to fully extend again
repeat this process 10 times

respiration
essemble a respirometer
place actively respiring organisms on a gauze in the test tube of the respiriometer, also put soda lime
open the tap for one minute then close it, measure the distance travelled by the liquid
repaat this further times
rate of respiration can be found
(sorry, i know it's not a very good explanation)

and i cba to go through the spirometer one now :redface:

please go through spirometer one!:colondollar:
Reply 4074
Original post by iesians
umm its negative feedback upto a point! once a temp limit si crossed it becomes positive feedback to protect hypothalamus somethign !! thats whats im confused on !

when your internal temperature increases, metabolic reactions increase, which cause temperature to increase even more which causes metabolic reactions to increase even more
thats an example of positive feedback
Reply 4075
Original post by user3456
please go through spirometer one!:colondollar:

find a perosn to do experiment on ! lol
put mouthpeice in his mouth and advise him to breathe calmly for a secong just throguh the mouthpirce to acclimatise him to breathing in this situation
-apply a noseclip on him
-fill up the chamber with oxygen
-start the rotating drum on which spirometer trace will be amde.
-calibrate the spirometer trace to read off volume values correctly.
-attach the mouthpeice hose to the chamber and advise the volunteer to breathe in and out calmly for about a minute.
-then advise him to exhale as deeply as possible followed by max inhalation.
-all of this breathing activitiy will be recorded on the trace.
once done, detach the mouthpiese and read off tidal volume and vital capacity form the spirometer trace.

.........:smile:
OH YEAH ! also use a soda lime box to remove CO2 from exhaled air. if you do this youll see a gradula decline in the trace!! gradient of this decline will give you the rate of oxygen uptake ! :smile:
Reply 4076
Original post by Hanz_a93
SNAB book (ann fullik) makes alota mistakes! for e.g. they say that neurotransmitter is released when an action potential is generated in the bipolar cell which is totally wrong.

How is that wrong? :s
Reply 4077
Original post by iesians
find a perosn to do experiment on ! lol
put mouthpeice in his mouth and advise him to breathe calmly for a secong just throguh the mouthpirce to acclimatise him to breathing in this situation
-apply a noseclip on him
-fill up the chamber with oxygen
-start the rotating drum on which spirometer trace will be amde.
-calibrate the spirometer trace to read off volume values correctly.
-attach the mouthpeice hose to the chamber and advise the volunteer to breathe in and out calmly for about a minute.
-then advise him to exhale as deeply as possible followed by max inhalation.
-all of this breathing activitiy will be recorded on the trace.
once done, detach the mouthpiese and read off tidal volume and vital capacity form the spirometer trace.

.........:smile:
OH YEAH ! also use a soda lime box to remove CO2 from exhaled air. if you do this youll see a gradula decline in the trace!! gradient of this decline will give you the rate of oxygen uptake ! :smile:

thank you! hope all goes well for you tomorrow :smile:
Original post by iesians

I didn't see that in the textbook under thermoregulation...
Reply 4079
Original post by Bright
How is that wrong? :s

the snab book and the green edexcel book contradict eachother, but the snab books right, the neurotransmitter glutamate is inhibitory its not excitaroy like how the green book says, the green book made the mistake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending