The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Going to Aston University if I achieve the required grades

Does anybody know how lenient Aston University is in terms of meeting the entry requirements? Worrying I'm not going to get the required grades! I have a conditional offer to study English Language. Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I hope they are lenient too, I've finished my exams but am still in limbo with regard to whether I've managed to get the required grades!! I have an offer for english language too with politics, I went to a subject talk there back in february with all the offer holders and there wasn't actually that many people there, so I would assume from that demand will be low for the subject. In that case, I think they'll be lenient.

Might even see you there in October!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi

I think it depends on the school of study English as far as I am aware has small numbers so there maybe some flexibility... usually if an offer is not met they will offer you another course which is similar and requires lower entry grades.

good luck!!
I sure hope so, I'm in the same situation.
Reply 4
It's not the Business School which would seem to be the least lenient but it does depend on how many others have met the offer. I had a flatmate in first year who missed her English Language offer and was only allowed combined honours as a result. Who knows this year as I believe it is when the changes are coming in so that fewer combinations are available.
Reply 5
What are the GCSE Requirements to get into Aston University!
Reply 6
Original post by ClevaClocks

What course? Haven't heard of anyone having problems because of GCSE's.
Reply 7

I've been cleaning out my room and I found my (2010) prospectus.

It says the requirements are:

Language courses: C in GCSE English

All other courses: C in GCSE English and Maths.

Other subjects/grades are also specified for some courses.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by johnny99
I hope they are lenient too, I've finished my exams but am still in limbo with regard to whether I've managed to get the required grades!! I have an offer for english language too with politics, I went to a subject talk there back in february with all the offer holders and there wasn't actually that many people there, so I would assume from that demand will be low for the subject. In that case, I think they'll be lenient.

Might even see you there in October!

Yeah I'm exactly the same! My offer is for straight English Language and my offer is ABB. What is your offer for the combined honours? I'm thinking if I don't get my grades they may offer for me to do English Language with something else? Yeah I was there in February too and there didn't seem to be too many people! I just don't want to get my hopes up,haha. Hopefully I will!
Reply 9
I'm hoping they're lenient too. I need BBB for German but not sure whether i've met the offer. Worst case would be BBC, so maybe if i miss it by 1 grade they'll still let me in!! (wishful thinking). Then again, language courses aren't very competitive, especially German! When I went to the open day I think there was only me and 1 other in the whole room who was doing German, the majority were French & Spanish. My course is also in 'extra' which is a good sign. Good luck!
Original post by JakeE10
I'm hoping they're lenient too. I need BBB for German but not sure whether i've met the offer. Worst case would be BBC, so maybe if i miss it by 1 grade they'll still let me in!! (wishful thinking). Then again, language courses aren't very competitive, especially German! When I went to the open day I think there was only me and 1 other in the whole room who was doing German, the majority were French & Spanish. My course is also in 'extra' which is a good sign. Good luck!

Check clearing nearer the time as that can be a good indication. Often there's more people doing french.
Reply 11
Original post by amylaurenpartridge
Yeah I'm exactly the same! My offer is for straight English Language and my offer is ABB. What is your offer for the combined honours? I'm thinking if I don't get my grades they may offer for me to do English Language with something else? Yeah I was there in February too and there didn't seem to be too many people! I just don't want to get my hopes up,haha. Hopefully I will!

Right so I definitely saw you that day lol, shame my memory's poor. Mine's ABB for the combined. I honestly don't think you'll have much to worry about, I think everyone approaches A levels in a don't want to get my hopes up way!
What are the GCSE and A Level requirements for pharmacy???? i am in first year and i reaally considerr doing this
Reply 13
What are the GCSE and A Level requirements for pharmacy???? i am in first year and i reaally considerr doing this

AAB in three A level subjects, including Chemistry and at least one other science subject (Biology, Maths or Physics).

Specific subject requirements:
A level: Chemistry, plus one from Biology, Maths or Physics. General Studies not accepted as part of the offer. Additional AS/A2 subjects welcomed.
GCSE: English grade C, Maths grade B.
Original post by johnny99
Right so I definitely saw you that day lol, shame my memory's poor. Mine's ABB for the combined. I honestly don't think you'll have much to worry about, I think everyone approaches A levels in a don't want to get my hopes up way!

hahah. To be honest I don't remember anybody from that day! Well let's hope we both do well and hopefully I will see you in September :smile:. Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on here in aaaaaaaaages. If we meet the grades do you know when we will actually be moving to Aston uni? The course starts on the 1st October, I assume about a week before that?
Reply 15
It'll be a week before yeah, I think it's the sunday before freshers week? Check the website, it'll tell you there I'm sure :smile:
Reply 16
I'm really hoping that they are lenient :/// hopefully the fact that uni applications have dropped by 30% this year will work in our favour...
Have you guys joined the Aston firmer/Fresher 2012 group on fb btw ?!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest