The Student Room Group

Why are so many girls having this shaven 1 half of their head style?

I seen a few girls walking around with this new style of haircut. It's shaven on one half of their head, and then long hair on the opposite side of their head.

Is this some new hairstyle that Rihanna has created? I think I remember seeing Rihanna or Nicki Minaj with these cuts.

Scroll to see replies

skrillrex : (
Reply 2
She didn't create the cut, but she is a notable person who did it and therefore made it "acceptable" for the masses. She did the same with creepers too.

Personally I love it on girls, but you have to have the right style and bone structure to match it otherwise it just looks badly thought out.
Reply 3
Yeah I think it's called an undercut, not sure Rihanna 'created' it though, Ellie Goulding's been rocking it for a while!
Reply 4
The same reason people had mullets in the 80's - it's popular for the time!
I don't know. What I do know is that if I chose to have only half a head of hair, I'd feel cold and stupid.
What like this
cassie-06.jpg

Or this

crimbo6.jpg

I think Ellie's looks nice and subtle, Cassie's is too much I wouldn't be brave enough to do half my head.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Its so ugly. eugh
Reply 8
Haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by rural_boy
Yeah I think it's called an undercut, not sure Rihanna 'created' it though, Ellie Goulding's been rocking it for a while!

Yeah it is called that, just looked it up and this is what appeared. This is it!

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/258/2589280/29_2009/f936ee2cacdb45b0_Undercut.jpg
Reply 10
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
Yeah it is called that, just looked it up and this is what appeared. This is it!

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/258/2589280/29_2009/f936ee2cacdb45b0_Undercut.jpg

Yeah it doesn't look particularly great on any of those girls!

Though I think some girls can pull it off..
I started shaving the sides of my head when i was 14 (I'm 20 now) and its really annoying to see that so many girls shave theirs now...i guess it just got trendy after seeing that hairstyle in some celebrities but i hope this trend will be over soon :mad:
Reply 12
Nicki Minaj hasn't had that haircut.
Reply 13
I personally don't like it .. it looks unattractive =/
I don't think it's as popular as it was about a year/year and a half ago. It seems like less and less girls have it now, especially where I live.

I think if a small area is shaved then it's ok but I saw someone who had clearly parted their hair down the middle and shaved one side completely off. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
This girl in my year has just shaved half her hair. I think it suits somepeople but when its that weird stubble from just starting to grow back it look a bit...horrible. I've heard some people do it for fashion then regret it :') aha they'll have to wait a while for it to grow back.
Reply 16
Original post by hamza7
I personally don't like it .. it looks unattractive =/

I agree, I think if people like it on themselves then fair enough but I personally am not a fan :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
My theory is they tried to go short back and sides but chickened out a third of the way through.
Reply 18
The only place on a woman you want hair is the head please leave it girls!
It's a cute look. x) I considered it myself for a while and then figured it would be a pain when I wanted to change styles. :tongue:

I think G.E.M rocks it best: