The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Q1 - Stated the general term and showed the coefficient for the first part was 15, then stopped
Q3 - Had the right substitution but something in my head didn't click so gave up
Q4 - Got all the way through, but my proof was ln(2y+1/...) > 1/y was a bit fudgy
Q5 - Got the first sketch, differentiated the second part got a cubic and stopped
Q8 - Got up to the point where I found p and stopped
Q9 - Got everything, but with one or two sign fudging to make it work :/

Anough for a 2 ?
Reply 41
Original post by hassi94
Don't wish to be mean but I doubt it, maybe JUST. I wish it was though, then I might get a 1 :/

Well that sucks. It wasn't a very fair paper as it had no trig/calculus/diff equations, things we are more used to. I honestly found last year's paper much better and that had 62 for a 1.
Original post by Peter8837
Well that sucks. It wasn't a very fair paper as it had no trig/calculus/diff equations, things we are more used to. I honestly found last year's paper much better and that had 62 for a 1.

Well I could be wrong, and I hope I am. I'd agree it was harder on those of us who can't do applied questions but that could be the pressure...
Reply 43
STEP II 2007 had 67 for a 1... in comparison I think that paper is much easier. So surely a 1 for this paper should be lower than 67, around 64ish?
Reply 44
Wouldn't have gone anywhere near 5, 6 or 7. The rest of the pure looks ok, though.
Historical grade boundaries for STEP II

Year S 1 2 3
2011 83 62 49 29
2010 105 79 64 40
2009 98 71 61 39
2008 94 69 58 35
2007 95 67 56 35
2006 {can't find the boundaries}
2005 89 64 49 31
2004 82 60 49 36
2003 95 70 55 37
Reply 46
Original post by Zuzuzu
Wouldn't have gone anywhere near 5, 6 or 7. The rest of the pure looks ok, though.

I originally backed out of q6.....but after drawing a good diagram and actually knowing what cyclic means.....its quite neat. This probably was my favourite question in the paper :tongue:
Original post by Peter8837

I thought the pure was more along the lines of an easy-ish STEP III paper; with most of the applied feeling like a standard STEP II paper. I wouldn't say it was out of line for a STEP II paper to be like this; it still had a similar feel to some of the papers in the past.

The response on here so far is quite varied so I'm thinking that we're pointing towards average boundaries. I agree with DF that it was probably a little less taxing than it perhaps should have been; but the reaction isn't really reflecting that. My guess at the boundaries would be around 52ish for a 2, 70ish for a 1, 95ish for an S.
Aaaaach I should have taken STEP II not STEP I!... Damn!
Reply 49
I thought it was a tricky, but very fair paper that rewarded those who ventured outside the pure zone with an easy mechanics question (11). I also thought that q12 was not hard, you just had to get your head round what was going on. I reckon the grade boundaries will be about average, probably 67 for a 1. Using induction really helped with q8, which was a little harsh on the non-further maths people, but all in all, I felt that the question setters did a good job.
Q6.
STEP II 2012 Q6.jpg
6. Completed the question.
8. Got part way through but got stuck with proving Un+1 - PUn + Un-1 = 0.
9. Did the first two "show that"s and got part way onto the hence (not very far), but couldn't do it.
11. I did "Proof by Induction" to get the first bit, but the 2k = N(N+1) just threw me so didn't do the last bit of the question.

I know it's not a lot (I'm fully aware that it's not going to be anywhere near enough for Cambridge unless the grade boundary for a 1 drops spectacularly) but reckon it'll get me a grade at all?
Reply 52
Original post by Lord of the Flies

Why didn't you sit both?
Original post by ben-smith
Q6.
STEP II 2012 Q6.jpg

How did you find it? How many solutions/partials?
Reply 54
Original post by ben-smith

How'd your teacher find it?
Reply 55

I thought you had a Cambridge offer?
Reply 56
On question 2, I must have made a slip which gave me the wrong c (constant for p(x)) value, so didn't manage to find any such polynomials... :frown: I got the a and b values though, and part 1. Does anyone have any ideas on how many marks I'd get? Could be the difference between Cambridge or not :P
Reply 57
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I thought the pure was more along the lines of an easy-ish STEP III paper; with most of the applied feeling like a standard STEP II paper. I wouldn't say it was out of line for a STEP II paper to be like this; it still had a similar feel to some of the papers in the past.

The response on here so far is quite varied so I'm thinking that we're pointing towards average boundaries. I agree with DF that it was probably a little less taxing than it perhaps should have been; but the reaction isn't really reflecting that. My guess at the boundaries would be around 52ish for a 2, 70ish for a 1, 95ish for an S.

Hmmm.. fair enough. Also, I did the very first part of Q8 just to grab a mark or two (I showed the first inequality) - do you reckon I'd get any marks for that?
Original post by TheJ0ker
I thought you had a Cambridge offer?

No no no! Took STEP I as a practice run and also to 'enhance' my application a bit. From what I can see, I would have much preferred this paper. How did things go for you?
Reply 59
No no no! Took STEP I as a practice run and also to 'enhance' my application a bit. From what I can see, I would have much preferred this paper. How did things go for you?

Not great but I don't think I have failed, 2 full solutions and 2 half solutions. I didn't have a Cambridge offer anyway so I think my grade on STEP 1 will be easily enough to get into Warwick.