The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4320
lol didnt even notice this is how drained we all are :|
Reply 4321
is there a june 2012? wtf have i been going on for the last week??
Reply 4322
Original post by lagoom
lol, oh yeah

isnt weird we were posting on june 12 and nw it is june 11!!!!1
Reply 4323
Original post by Dixie
is there a june 2012? wtf have i been going on for the last week??

u were posting on june 12

bt nw something had changed
h and y dnt knww!!!!!!!!!
Reply 4324
i think i saw this asked before, are there only 3 core practicals for unit 5? that doesnt sound right, the repiring one, the habituation and spirometer?
which one do people think is gonna come up? please dont let it be spirometer, i will cry :/
Original post by Dixie
i think i saw this asked before, are there only 3 core practicals for unit 5? that doesnt sound right, the repiring one, the habituation and spirometer?
which one do people think is gonna come up? please dont let it be spirometer, i will cry :/

Spirometer most likely, I don't understand it at all.
Reply 4326
Original post by PlatypusPigeon
Spirometer most likely, I don't understand it at all.

fml. are you joking? i have no idea how its calibrated or anything? does anyone know how its calibrated? lol
Reply 4327
Can somebody please explain the core practicals in detail please?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4328
Anyone ABSOLUTELY bricking it? I FEEL SO DOWN right now. :'(
Reply 4329
Original post by Bright
Anyone ABSOLUTELY bricking it? I FEEL SO DOWN right now. :'(

Some MDMA will turn that frown upside down.
*(Not-so) Subconsciously helping you with your revision, and mine :wink:
Reply 4330
Oh lol i just remembered like half hour ago my screen said this thread no longer exists and directed me here so we must of been moved ? lol maybe some people around the world are taking the exam soon?

CORE PRACTICALS

Habituation:
- Obtain a large african snail
- Place it on a clean, firm surface, leave it for a couple of minutes for it to get used to its surroundings
- Get a dampened cotto bud, use it to touch the eye stalk
- Immediately start the stop watch, time how long it takes for the eye stalk to fully extend again
- Repeat this process 10 times

RESPIRATION
-Assemble a respirometer
- Place actively respiring organisms on a gauze in the test tube of the respirometer, also put soda lime in so CO2 is absorbed
- Open the tap for 1 minute the close it, measure the distance travelled by the liquid
- Repeat this further times
- Rate of respiration can be found

SPIROMETER
- Get a volunteer, place a mouthpiece in his mouth and advise him to breathe calmly for 10 seconds through the mouthpiece to acclimatise him to breathing in this situation
- Apply a noseclip on him
- Fill up the chamber with oxygen with a movable lid
- Start the rotating drum on which spirometer trace will be made
- Calibrate the spirometer trace to read off volume values correctly
- Attach the mouthpiece hose to the chamber and advise volunteer to breathe in and out calmly for a minute
- When they breathe out it moves up
- Soda lime absorbs CO2
Can anyone explain what we need to know about rod cells, bipolar cells and just the eye in general?
Reply 4332
Original post by pandoraclaire
that is EXACTLY what i thought!!! i dont get it surely it makes no sense! I thought maybe they typed the A and B the wrong way round but im sure we would know about it if there was a mistake on a paper:s-smilie:

They just switched the A and B blocks round so it grows the opposite way to which you might think if you dont read the letters in the second picture. Basically the light has been shone on the A side so it grows towards the A side when there is no light [picture 2]
Reply 4333
this is so frkkin weird ?? i think im lost :tongue:
this is 2011 ?! wa im in future ? no , technically past ?! what ? im effed up !!
how did i come here , i slept i think, no i always sleep...
soo....are we tlkking on this thread about 2012 from how long,
ok im gone
Reply 4334
what major synoptic elements did people say there were? looking at the past papers there doesnt seem to be many. i reckon impaired immunity will come up and t cells etc what else?
Reply 4335
Lol whats going on with the whole 2011/2012 thing?! My phone still says the thread is 21 june 2012 :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 4336
Original post by iesians
this is so frkkin weird ?? i think im lost :tongue:
this is 2011 ?! wa im in future ? no , technically past ?! what ? im effed up !!
how did i come here , i slept i think, no i always sleep...
soo....are we tlkking on this thread about 2012 from how long,
ok im gone

Omg im laughing so much at this haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Could someone please go over the lac opErin thingy for gene expression? It would be much appreciated!
Reply 4338
how is the spirometer calibrated?
Reply 4339
Original post by Moleman101
Could someone please go over the lac opErin thingy for gene expression? It would be much appreciated!

im sure that thingy is not an important thingy, i hope it doesnt come in tomorrows thingy (the exam) , in the gene expression thingy in article theres no lac operon thingy, i think lac operon was in unit 2 thingy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending