The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4420
All the best everyone :smile:
If in doubt, do the equivalent of verbal diarrhoea of keywords onto the page! :biggrin:
NO BIOLOGY IN THAT PAPER WHATSOEVER. Answered 2 questions talking about transcription factors.
Original post by Gman1234
NO BIOLOGY IN THAT PAPER WHATSOEVER. Answered 2 questions talking about transcription factors.

which 2 questions were they?
someone upload the paper please! :biggrin:
How does drug R reduce melanoma in a few months?
Drug R inhibits transcription factors from binding onto promotor region of DNA by acting as a repressor molecule. Gene coding for the differentiation of cells into cancerous melanoma are switched off and protein synthesis is inhibited.
Reply 4426
Transcription factors? I didn't answer anything about those :I

What did y'all put for the multiple choice about phytochromes?
Original post by croag
Transcription factors? I didn't answer anything about those :I

What did y'all put for the multiple choice about phytochromes?

Cross
Cross
Tick
Tick
Reply 4428
Cross
Cross
Tick
Tick

That's what other's put, however I thought phytochromes weren't affected by the darkness and just whether there is Pfr or Pr. Is darkness only a lack of Pr? :/
Reply 4429
That's what other's put, however I thought phytochromes weren't affected by the darkness and just whether there is Pfr or Pr. Is darkness only a lack of Pr? :/
same :L
Pfr is converted into Pr at night. So in darkness, Pr increases gradually providing its uninterrupted darkness.
How does drug R reduce melanoma in a few months?
Drug R inhibits transcription factors from binding onto promotor region of DNA by acting as a repressor molecule. Gene coding for the differentiation of cells into cancerous melanoma are switched off and protein synthesis is inhibited.

daaam, you're right, I wrote loads about natural killer cells being activated, any marks do you think?
Reply 4432
Original post by croag

Darkness converts Pfr to Pr SLOWLY.

That paper severely lacked biology. I don't know why I bothered to revise when I just had to talk about graphs and directly quote the scientific article word for word most of the time. These papers make me pretty nervous, no idea how I did.
I think your getting confused with phytochromes. Pr and Pfr are both phytochromes.
Not really sure :/
It did state that melanoma is cancerous which means mutation in the genome.
Not really sure :/
It did state that melanoma is cancerous which means mutation in the genome.

hmmm, textbook says something about natural killer cells killing cancer cells causing apoptosis :/
Original post by abbas1994
hmmm, textbook says something about natural killer cells killing cancer cells causing apoptosis :/

The question specifically said in a few months
If cancerous cells were destroyed by killer cells, precursor cells would just differentiate and more melanoma would form.
I swear that if I had done no revision at all for the exam, my grade would hardly change. What a stupid paper...
what did you calculate for the increase in the death rate due to Anorexia ?
It was given in a rate of 10-20% with an 80% increase of that,
so I also gave a range I think 18-36%
i mean 8-16% INCREASE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending