The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MartinK84
i mean 8-16% INCREASE

I completely failed that question. Couldn't get my head around it >.<
also what did you answer for the 'why is it a problem that WAT is in a big mass rather then in droplets for blood presssure'
Reply 4442
Original post by Gman1234
I completely failed that question. Couldn't get my head around it >.<

I couldn't get my head around it either but put 8 in the end! Was gonna put a range but decided against it :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4443
i mean 8-16% INCREASE

Yeah, I got 8% from using the lower value.
A friend of mine thought you might get a mark for using the median mortality rate, aka, 15%, but I'm not so sure - It was only 2 marks, so I figure one for appropriate working, and one for the answer.
I'm sure they'll use the range of 8-16, as they ideally need to appease to the optimists and the pessimists, plus the inbetweeners :P
also what did you answer for the 'why is it a problem that WAT is in a big mass rather then in droplets for blood presssure'

Was that the question?
I thought the question was, why do lipids in BAT exist as droplets rather than one big mass?
Anyhow, I didn't really know how to answer this. I put something along the lines of, small droplets are easily transported in the body and since BAT contains ucp-1 protein, distribution of heat is more efficient.
Reply 4445

Wasnt the question along the lines of why its an advantage that BAT is stored as droplets rather then big mass.... ? Or was this another question?
Original post by fiza_1
Wasnt the question along the lines of why its an advantage that BAT is stored as droplets rather then big mass.... ? Or was this another question?

probably, i cant remember. Only that there seemed to be no connection to any point in the specification at all, so i just guessed that if the fat is in one big mass it would press on the arteries and increase blood pressure, probably totally wrong
Reply 4447
Cross
Cross
Tick
Tick

That question made me lol. (Not literally, as I'd be DQ-ed xD)
4 marks? It just seemed like a waste of a page :P
Original post by fiza_1

That was the question.

I put something about a greater Surface Area:Volume ratio in smaller droplets, therefore it is broken down much more quickly and can release energy quickly.
Original post by ash356
That question made me lol. (Not literally, as I'd be DQ-ed xD)
4 marks? It just seemed like a waste of a page :P

i put
cross
tick
tick
tick

but I remember I was in doubt with the second one, as that could be interpreted both ways. However I forgot the question entirely lol, can someone post those?
Reply 4450
probably, i cant remember. Only that there seemed to be no connection to any point in the specification at all, so i just guessed that if the fat is in one big mass it would press on the arteries and increase blood pressure, probably totally wrong

It was about the advantages. I just said it had a higher surface area, so enzymes that break down the fat can get to it easier, allowing for the rapid generation of heat :s-smilie:
Original post by PrismaticCore
That was the question.

I put something about a greater Surface Area:Volume ratio in smaller droplets, therefore it is broken down much more quickly and can release energy quickly.

oooh at least someone put the same as me! :biggrin: haha
bit of a strange paper on the whole.. didn't really feel like you had to know that much actually biology to really answer the questions...
loved the multiple choice questions at the very beginning!
Original post by antidotes-
oooh at least someone put the same as me! :biggrin: haha
bit of a strange paper on the whole.. didn't really feel like you had to know that much actually biology to really answer the questions...
loved the multiple choice questions at the very beginning!

Indeed they were good :smile:
Guaranteed 8 marks on multiple choice questions alone! :biggrin:
Reply 4453
i put
cross
tick
tick
tick

but I remember I was in doubt with the second one, as that could be interpreted both ways. However I forgot the question entirely lol, can someone post those?

I put:
Cross
Cross
Tick
Tick.
But I know my friend doing the exam put the same thing as you, so I'm relatively unsure :s-smilie:
Reply 4454
stupid paper
Reply 4455
should not have revised.:angry:
Original post by ash356
I put:
Cross
Cross
Tick
Tick.
But I know my friend doing the exam put the same thing as you, so I'm relatively unsure :s-smilie:

I think the 2nd one was like "Phytochromes can respond to all wavelengths of light"
I think the 2nd one was like "Phytochromes can respond to all wavelengths of light"

Which is false because they can only respond to red/far red light?
Reply 4458
Original post by Omar1994
should not have revised.:angry:

I hear you there. Too much analysis questions, not enough actual questions.
Barely anything on muscles, homeostasis or aerobic/anaerobic respiration either :angry:

There was a question asking if they can respond to wavelengths, but that wasnt the second one.
That one wasnt as obvious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending