The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4460
Original post by Gman1234
I think the 2nd one was like "Phytochromes can respond to all wavelengths of light"

It was, I believe. That's why I decided it was false, as they only respond to red/Far red :P
Although my friend interpreted it as 'respond to light', but I'm glad I'm not the only one who read it like that :smile:
does anyone know how much each question was out of?
Original post by MartinK84
There was a question asking if they can respond to wavelengths, but that wasnt the second one.
That one wasnt as obvious.

I remember it was the second one too, dw though, it's only one mark :smile:
another tricky question was, when they they asked 'suggest why rats with increased spine synapse count/density are better at finding food'?
(cant remember precise wording, you know the question where Group P of rats which starved were compared with other rats that didn't' )
That was pretty confusing for me, as the question said that they examined the rat's brains, but then the Data in the Table showed the SPINE not the Brain, which is not where a Rat would think, as that happens in the brain...
Original post by antidotes-
oooh at least someone put the same as me! :biggrin: haha
bit of a strange paper on the whole.. didn't really feel like you had to know that much actually biology to really answer the questions...
loved the multiple choice questions at the very beginning!

I've spent all day feeling absolutely cheated by Edexcel. I feel like I spent ages learning stuff that was barely even relevant to the exam.
There wasn't even any synoptic stuff!!
As for the multiple choice questions...Grey Matter would've provided excellent 6 marker questions??!?!!!!??

But I shouldn't complain, the exam could've been far far worse.
That awkward moment when the thread appears to be incorrect as the date isn't the right one.
another tricky question was, when they they asked 'suggest why rats with increased spine synapse count/density are better at finding food'?
(cant remember precise wording, you know the question where Group P of rats which starved were compared with other rats that didn't' )
That was pretty confusing for me, as the question said that they examined the rat's brains, but then the Data in the Table showed the SPINE not the Brain, which is not where a Rat would think, as that happens in the brain...

It was talking about the spine density of the neurones in the brain, not the spine itself
Original post by PrismaticCore
I've spent all day feeling absolutely cheated by Edexcel. I feel like I spent ages learning stuff that was barely even relevant to the exam.
There wasn't even any synoptic stuff!!
As for the multiple choice questions...Grey Matter would've provided excellent 6 marker questions??!?!!!!??

But I shouldn't complain, the exam could've been far far worse.

There was one synoptic link - phase 3 trials. but yeah, the paper could have been worse. Just i hate suggest questions because it's like what was the point in learning everything we did if we just have to suggest other things! :P
Reply 4468
That awkward moment when the thread appears to be incorrect as the date isn't the right one.

Yeah, it's been doing that quite a bit. It's caught in 'temporal flux' or something else I probably heard off Back to the Future :P
Did anyone else find they were basically re-writing out information from the article for a significant amount of the question 7? It seemed a bit too...copy-pasta, or at least how I ended up doing some of them.
Original post by Niiiiiiiiiick
There was one synoptic link - phase 3 trials. but yeah, the paper could have been worse. Just i hate suggest questions because it's like what was the point in learning everything we did if we just have to suggest other things! :P

For phase 3 was that the placebo trail?
Original post by Moleman101
spine density of the neurones in the brain

- Spine density in the Brain ? whats that?
Original post by ash356
Yeah, it's been doing that quite a bit. It's caught in 'temporal flux' or something else I probably heard off Back to the Future :P
Did anyone else find they were basically re-writing out information from the article for a significant amount of the question 7? It seemed a bit too...copy-pasta, or at least how I ended up doing some of them.

Yes!!

A whole five-marker where all I did was copy out paragraph 40 and 41??!
Are they being serious or what???!
Reply 4472
- Spine density in the Brain ? whats that?

I believe they mentioned in part of the question that it was something to do with the number of synapses on a neurone or something.
When I first saw the data I was like 'WTF?' but then it clarified what it meant somewhere in the question.
Original post by Niiiiiiiiiick

Bah, you can barely call that synoptic, that's one of those 'science things' they try to drum into you in both Chemistry and Biology.
I was expecting a beautiful 6-marker on HIV/AIDS :frown:

But I totally anticipated the 'Give the structure of a triglyceride' one. I would've been really surprised if it hadn't come up.
Bah, you can barely call that synoptic, that's one of those 'science things' they try to drum into you in both Chemistry and Biology.
I was expecting a beautiful 6-marker on HIV/AIDS :frown:

But I totally anticipated the 'Give the structure of a triglyceride' one. I would've been really surprised if it hadn't come up.

I revised all of the coronary heart disease, the inflammatory response and all the exercise stuff for the scientific article! And then it was just the structure of a triglyceride! Edexcel suck. :frown:
What about the question where they asked to 'suggest how PET works or why glucose isnt broken down' or something like that
- at that point I ran out of time, there was just too much 'copy and paste' writing on the last few subQuestions of the synoptic paper.
Reply 4476
Yes!!

A whole five-marker where all I did was copy out paragraph 40 and 41??!
Are they being serious or what???!

Yeah, it seemed more akin to one of the old SAT 'English Reading'* tests than Biology, to be completely honest.
*Or something alone those lines - the ones where you just read through a booklet and the answers were practically just given to you, albeit more wordy :L
Look at it on the bright side. Grade boundaries are characteristically low for this paper. And for the majority of us that will be our last experience with Edexcel.. NEVER AGAIN!!!!
Reply 4478
I just thought that paper was stupid.
I know people complained about unit 4, but at least it tested us on a fair amount of content from each topic- maybe not on all the sub topics but at least it touched on all areas in a general sense.

The pre-release section was silly, because aside from the triglyceride question, it did not differentiate between candidates in both their preparation and aptitude for the subject, it only determined which candidates were better at comprehension questions. It was literally copying and pasting.
Reply 4479
Original post by Gman1234
Cross
Cross
Tick
Tick

Me too! A few people in my class put
Tick
Cross
Tick
Tick
So not sure now :s