The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4500
for melanoma i wrtoe INSANE :-

drug R is a repressor so it attached to promoter region of the gene which stimulates cell cycle, so RNA polymerase couldnt attach and cell division halts. Or it may cause lysosomes to rupture and hydrolytiv enzymes would eat cell contect, then i wrote it may change their antigens and t killer cells would kill cancerous cells.
i wrote MANY ways in which drug R COULD KILL the cancer cells....

will this be ok ..?
Reply 4501
predictions on grade boundaries?
Reply 4502
Original post by charlypennington
Apologies if this has already been asked/answered.

The percentage question of mortality in anorexic teens in the article questions, wtf actually was that? Not hugely bothered as it was only 2 marks and obviously can't change it now but would really like to know how it was worked out?

i got 16% :-

80% of pop was admitted so
80/100* X (X is number of young girls)

out of these 20% died :-
20/100(80/100*X)
cut out zeros and simplify it would come
16/100*X so 16% of X (young girls) died due to anorexia.
BTW when they said provide evidence, I tried to quote them as much as I could but at certain points I summarized the quotes and didn't write the quote as it is, is that bad?. But I did make sure that the quote meant exactly what I had summarized.
Reply 4504
did v have to give a range in %age question .>?!
i used 20 % mortality rate so i was getting 16 %
Reply 4505
Original post by PhantomPhreek
BTW when they said provide evidence, I tried to quote them as much as I could but at certain points I summarized the quotes and didn't write the quote as it is, is that bad?. But I did make sure that the quote meant exactly what I had summarized.

provide e?!
was this for the last questions last part in which we had to see in gene expression from the article ..?!
Original post by PrismaticCore
Everyone who does both Chem and Bio will be able to answer that one...

Anyone thats done year 9 science should be able to answer it! Although it's more like physics than bio or chem.

Plus the question on nerves seemed very simple for an A2 bio paper.
Original post by iesians
provide e?!
was this for the last questions last part in which we had to see in gene expression from the article ..?!

Nah' there were a few questions that said provide evidence from the article, I did quote some of the evidence straight from the article, but for others, I read the evidence and summarized it making sure I used the keywords that they used, at the end I also made sure that my summary meant exactly what was being said in the article.

So my question is, does it have to be a quote?, do you HAVE to quote every evidence as is in the article or can you use slightly different words?.
Is the pupil black because the lens retracts light to the retina?
Reply 4509
Original post by abbas1994
Is the pupil black because the lens retracts light to the retina?

NOPE !
it is because all the light is absorbed by the retina so none is reflected.
I put the eye contain a black layer of choroid which is black to prevent scaterring of light. Is that right?
Original post by iesians
NOPE !

alright, calm down... :s-smilie:
Reply 4512
Original post by iesians
for melanoma i wrtoe INSANE :-

drug R is a repressor so it attached to promoter region of the gene which stimulates cell cycle, so RNA polymerase couldnt attach and cell division halts. Or it may cause lysosomes to rupture and hydrolytiv enzymes would eat cell contect, then i wrote it may change their antigens and t killer cells would kill cancerous cells.
i wrote MANY ways in which drug R COULD KILL the cancer cells....

will this be ok ..?

I wrote something similiar, like it halted the transcription of proteins/the part of the gene that initiated cell division, and thus stopped the rapid production of the cancerous cells.
Then I wrote some stuff about it may possibly also involve inserting the correct gene to get rid of the mutation, but that was probably just a load of waffle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4513
For the question on rats and learning, did you guys mention the cerebrum in any of your answers?

I'm worried I am going to drop marks for never mentioning it.
Reply 4514
Original post by Freyma
For the question on rats and learning, did you guys mention the cerebrum in any of your answers?

I'm worried I am going to drop marks for never mentioning it.

i did not use cerebrum at all ! lol
Original post by 1232584769
For the last phytochrome questions the answer was
Cross
Cross
Cross
Tick
1. Is it depolarised by sodium ions; no due to it being affacted by pfr/pr
2. Does all wave lengths of light affect it; no only wavelenght in the range 730 and 660
3. Does it affect growth and development; no auxin affects growth only, phytcchromes affect flowering and germination
4. Does darkness affect it;yes

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

flowering and germination IS growth and development you donut,

so the answer was

cross
cross
tick
tick
Reply 4516
The question on mortality rates was terribly worded.
If the prevalence increased by 80%, that doesn't increase the mortality rate as a percentage because they're proportional. The mortality rate will still be 10-20%. The only way a 'percentage increase' method would have been valid, is if they gave you figures to compare the percentage increase of those that died before versus those after.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by zincoff
The question on mortality rates was terribly worded.
If the prevalence increased by 80%, that doesn't increase the mortality rate as a percentage because they're proportional. The mortality rate will still be 10-20%. The only way a 'percentage increase' method would have been valid, is if they gave you figures to compare the percentage increase of those that died before versus those after.

I thought that! So was that an actual 'trick question' as they deny in the trade? Or just a crappy mistake on their part?
Original post by iesians
NOPE !

HAHAHHA OH GOD. Am I the only person who put that the pupil is black because it is a hole?!?!

That was honestly the most ridiculous paper ever - unit 4 and 5 both were. I'm just at the point of laughing instead of crying right now...
Reply 4519
Original post by sammy-lou
HAHAHHA OH GOD. Am I the only person who put that the pupil is black because it is a hole?!?!

That was honestly the most ridiculous paper ever - unit 4 and 5 both were. I'm just at the point of laughing instead of crying right now...

lol u're gone !
how does it make it black if its a hole ?! lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending