The Student Room Group

Extended Project - History ideas

Hello, I'm currently considering doing an extended project. However, I'm stuck for ideas and also confused regarding how much detail I need for the topic. I think that I want to do my dissertation on a historical event or some period of history.
So basically it would be really useful if you could offer some interesting ideas and also some examples of an extended project title/subject so I can get to grasp with how much detail is required.
Thanks!
Reply 1
I know a lot of people from our school did
"Have lessons been learnt from the Holocaust? "
Reply 2
Original post by sj1994
I know a lot of people from our school did
"Have lessons been learnt from the Holocaust? "

Did you do an EPQ, Sabrina?

Also the EPQ takes very little effort and is totally worth it!

Jak :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jakaroo94

Really? I'm doing one titled "In defence of the Renaissance Popes" and my school is treating it like its your university dissertation. Did you stress out about it?
Original post by Vincekins
Hello, I'm currently considering doing an extended project. However, I'm stuck for ideas and also confused regarding how much detail I need for the topic. I think that I want to do my dissertation on a historical event or some period of history.
So basically it would be really useful if you could offer some interesting ideas and also some examples of an extended project title/subject so I can get to grasp with how much detail is required.
Thanks!

I am doing mine on social History as we only ever study political history at school - Mine is "To what extent is Tudor cooking relevant today" and I will be doing two presentations and a report to answer my question.

So really it can be ANYTHING! Try not to match it too closely to uni choices as the EPQ in any subject shows independent work etc....just have fun with it...Believe me when you have 7 exams to revise for but still have to plough on with that you need something that can motivate you for the year(ish) that you spend on it.

Good luck and if you need any help PM me :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Mnemosyne
Really? I'm doing one titled "In defence of the Renaissance Popes" and my school is treating it like its your university dissertation. Did you stress out about it?

I did most of my essay the night before the presentation assessment thing, it's really no big deal. All you have to do is be really critical of yourself in all your paperwork saying how you would have done better, they look for genuine answers and honesty.

Make sure you know how to reference properly, keep a log of everything and meet deadlines and you'll be fine. I got 48/50 by doing this.
Reply 6
I did most of my essay the night before the presentation assessment thing, it's really no big deal. All you have to do is be really critical of yourself in all your paperwork saying how you would have done better, they look for genuine answers and honesty.

Make sure you know how to reference properly, keep a log of everything and meet deadlines and you'll be fine. I got 48/50 by doing this.

It's not the actual essay writing but more the sheer amount of research we're apparently expected to do. But then I'd assume that depends on the topic of the EPQ.
Reply 7
Original post by Mnemosyne
It's not the actual essay writing but more the sheer amount of research we're apparently expected to do. But then I'd assume that depends on the topic of the EPQ.

My research consisted of quoting about 8-10 different books after some careful googling on google books and referencing a few pieces of art work and classical/impressionist music.

My EPQ was about Claude Debussy's musical oeuvre and French Impressionism.
Hi :smile:
I did an EPQ called "how far does the evidence suggest that Richard III killed the Princes in the Tower?", but I found it was a huge amount of work. I used roughly (my teacher still has my research) roughly ten resources, but that includes a few whole books. We were told to spend 90 hours on it, so I did. It took a lot of effort, but I'm really glad I did it - I learnt so much about referencing, researching history, planning and whatnot and about how I work (e.g I CAN'T make deadlines :s-smilie:) I'd say do it, but try to get most of it done over the summer and choose something a bit different and exciting (you might have to - the topic can't overlap with your school course in any way)
Good luck! xxx
Reply 9

Yes, I did my EPQ on 'The evolution of journalism'
I will admit that I didn't put that much work into it...
Just read a handful of books, did some internet based research and first hand research such as questionnaires.
The most gruelling part I'd say was the 5,000 word essay that I wrote, but to be honest I don't mind writing essays and it was on a subject I quite enjoyed so it wasn't too bad- I did the majority of the work over the summer when I had nothing else to do.
I ended up getting an A - I can see it being quite easy to get an A* if you go that extra mile.
Reply 10
Original post by sj1994
I don't mind writing essays and it was on a subject I quite enjoyed so it wasn't too bad

[video="youtube;SbUBMklQSVU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUBMklQSVU[/video]
Reply 11
Original post by Tyles
[video="youtube;SbUBMklQSVU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUBMklQSVU[/video]

ahahahahahaaaa
I did mine on how far three poets reflect Irish identity as I was studying Irish history at the time. Absolutely loved doing the EPQ. I took it very seriously and did a lot of research for mine, of course mine was literature based with historical context, so reading the literature was a large part of that. By no means is it as much as a university dissertation but you have 6000 words (I can't remember exactly) so obviously you really need to go into detail. JSTOR is amazing, if you haven't used it before.
Original post by Vincekins
Thanks!

EPQ is essentially the equivalent of an AS level in terms of comparison to A level History you will research but content is incorporated in your "research" part of it.

For ideas: What are you interesting in? Modern/Ancient/Medieval/Revolutions/War/Ideology and Conflict

Most of my friends did it in obscure parts of History not covered at A level just to make it more interesting and UCAS.

My friend did it on "To What extent was Pol Pot responsible for genocide during the Khmer Rouge" or something. She read lots of books, journals, articles etc. interviews if you can be bothered. Then it's mostly about planning it, critiquing your sources so you only use "reliable" ones and writing your essay to draw the conclusion etc.

A lot of people change/adapt their project title throughout the way though
Reply 14
Im doing it on women 1900 - 45 how the role changed :biggrin:

I don't know why I got negged for this, I can't see that I've said anything neg-worthy lol :s
Original post by Schmetterling<3
I did an EPQ called "how far does the evidence suggest that Richard III killed the Princes in the Tower?", but I found it was a huge amount of work. I used roughly (my teacher still has my research) roughly ten resources, but that includes a few whole books. We were told to spend 90 hours on it, so I did. It took a lot of effort, but I'm really glad I did it - I learnt so much about referencing, researching history, planning and whatnot and about how I work (e.g I CAN'T make deadlines :s-smilie:) I'd say do it, but try to get most of it done over the summer and choose something a bit different and exciting (you might have to - the topic can't overlap with your school course in any way)
Good luck! xxx

How did you find it? I'm thinking of doing the project on exactly the same thing! Can I ask, what sources did you look at? I've only read Alison Weir's book so far which is a useless start, haha!
Original post by Schmetterling<3
Good luck! xxx

I know this is from 2 years ago but i was wondering whether you could still help me?

I've need to start my epq but I can't come up with a question to research. I want to do a Early modern History topic so maybe something from The War of the Roses. The drama on BBC last year The White Queen particularly interested me so I would want to focus on something in there. Maybe something about the princes in the tower but i'm not so sure whether that can be easily evidenced.

I previously came up with a question about whether Shakespeare has portrayed a valid historical of Richard III but now i'm in two minds of doing this question as it would require me to read Shakespeare's play which i've tried but im finding it very hard to understand so its a bit boring. The EPQ is going to require a lot of work so i don't want to get bored with it half way through and give up.

Thanks!! x
Original post by Gthreadgold
How did you find it? I'm thinking of doing the project on exactly the same thing! Can I ask, what sources did you look at? I've only read Alison Weir's book so far which is a useless start, haha!

What did you end up doing your EPQ on?
Original post by jada897
Im doing it on women 1900 - 45 how the role changed :biggrin:

Hi
I am thinking of doing something similar. Just starting. Any tips or good resources you found. Would you change anything in retrospect?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending