The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by hannahchan
... is it true should I change my pw?

Has anyone else done so? :s-smilie: :confused:

I'd say it's true, don't see any other reason for a notification stating to change your password :rolleyes: :wink:
ah good i saw this, thought the tsr email was a scam so i didnt bother reading it :p:
Original post by Aky786UK
Why should passwords used on TSR need to be changed for other sites? I didn't but is there someway they can somehow access other accounts with the same password?

Many people (unwisely) use the same username/password combination on more than one site. If you don't, you've already gone a long way towards a good internet security position. :smile:
Original post by Aky786UK
Why should passwords used on TSR need to be changed for other sites? I didn't but is there someway they can somehow access other accounts with the same password?

I would have thought this would have been pretty self-explanatory. You must assume that the password is out in the open along with your email address. If those two credentials are used anywhere else, you could be at risk.
I'm pretty dismayed that TSR's emailed everyone with a really obscure link, to be honest. It makes it very difficult to triage whether the email is genuine. It would have been so much better to either not email anyone, or to email them with a simple FQDN with no hyperlink.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I changed my password, here's hoping it's nothing more than a safety precaution.
This. Me too x
I received 24 emails yesterday headed 'DSE-ACCOM-OFFICE' from various names and things, and from what I can see of the messages without clicking on them, there's loads of people saying 'take me off the list, I keep receiving these emails...' I'm with Gmail and they got past the Spam filter. Is this connected to this? I've never been entirely sure what to do with 'bad' emails that get past my Spam filter, other than booting them off to the Spam folder and deleting them forever.

I'm setting about changing passwords for things, password here, email, Facebook etc. ... though I am abroad at the moment and can't remember all my log ins for everything - some are the same as each other, some not... I hope it will all be okay :frown:
Original post by takethyfacehence
I received 24 emails yesterday headed 'DSE-ACCOM-OFFICE' from various names and things, and from what I can see of the messages without clicking on them, there's loads of people saying 'take me off the list, I keep receiving these emails...' I'm with Gmail and they got past the Spam filter. Is this connected to this? I've never been entirely sure what to do with 'bad' emails that get past my Spam filter, other than booting them off to the Spam folder and deleting them forever.

I'm setting about changing passwords for things, password here, email, Facebook etc. ... though I am abroad at the moment and can't remember all my log ins for everything - some are the same as each other, some not... I hope it will all be okay :frown:

Hiya, no those emails won't be related. In terms of bad emails, you're doing the right thing. Boot them into junk and delete without opening them.
Original post by Mad Vlad
I think you'll find they are compliant.

And are you seriously suggesting that large companies shouldn't utilise well respected COTS products? :lolwut:

I think you will find they are not in compliance as are many other sites around the web since the rules changed and they now need to get consent not just bury it in the TOS.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/cookies.aspx

So maybe your not the font of all knowledge your presenting yourself to be and should stop ranting a defence on behalf of TSR against those who don't appreciate data being lost by calling them dicks.
Reply 309
Original post by Illusionary
Many people (unwisely) use the same username/password combination on more than one site. If you don't, you've already gone a long way towards a good internet security position. :smile:

So say I visit 100 different sites/apps, and I have an account with every one. It seems virtually impossible to have 100 different passwords. And of course, you're suppose to regularly change them too. On top of that you have to remember your security question/answers, banking telephone PINs etc. Password hell!!!!

I do like Google's 2-step verification, they send you a text and you have to enter that PIN in the text to proceed. if only everyone can implement this or somehow integrate with Google's sign in - of course, you have to keep your phone next to you!
Original post by Mad Vlad
Analogy fail.

The door wasn't open, they pickpocketed the home owner's keys and let themselves in. That's not lax security, that's unfortunate.

AND more quippy comment bull**** from TSR's No1 fan. Actually I was being generous by putting it as the customers fault. If you want your analogy the hackers went to the manufacturers site and read the rules on making a default master key. Stupid F'ing door purchaser wasn't smart enough to change the locks as they installed the doors.

But in fact you don't know how the hack was carried out details you also don't know if they got the payment details of those who have paid for premium membership of TSR and they have not given those details. A lot of people when the PSN network got hacked initially were upset about not being able to connect, that soon changed when it came to light what info they got and exactly how it could be used by the hackers.

Its the responsibility of people who collect data to store it in a way that is compliant with the data protection act, those who do store data are responsible to the information commissioner and should have a stated way in which they will store that data and have plans in place for compromises such as this.

Yet again a web site fails in its duty of care and then wants to pass that responsibility on to its users for being stupid enough to give the data to them.

Are you seriously the best TSR can put up to be the spoiler in the forums over this.
Original post by Chrosson
Depends on if you're computing the time correctly. Any ascii 7 character password can be cracked on a single home computer in under 10 days when using the TSR hashing scheme.

13 characters, small case letters and numbers?
Original post by ash1011
I'd say it's true, don't see any other reason for a notification stating to change your password :rolleyes: :wink:

thanks for linking me :smile:

I changed my pw!
Original post by GenerationX
AND more quippy comment bull**** from TSR's No1 fan. Actually I was being generous by putting it as the customers fault. If you want your analogy the hackers went to the manufacturers site and read the rules on making a default master key. Stupid F'ing door purchaser wasn't smart enough to change the locks as they installed the doors.

But in fact you don't know how the hack was carried out details you also don't know if they got the payment details of those who have paid for premium membership of TSR and they have not given those details. A lot of people when the PSN network got hacked initially were upset about not being able to connect, that soon changed when it came to light what info they got and exactly how it could be used by the hackers.

Its the responsibility of people who collect data to store it in a way that is compliant with the data protection act, those who do store data are responsible to the information commissioner and should have a stated way in which they will store that data and have plans in place for compromises such as this.

Yet again a web site fails in its duty of care and then wants to pass that responsibility on to its users for being stupid enough to give the data to them.

Are you seriously the best TSR can put up to be the spoiler in the forums over this.

TSR doesn't store payment details, payment is carried out through paypal. The only information that could have been stolen is username/password/e-mail and possibly date of birth could have been taken - all other information stored by TSR is displayed publicly on your profile.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ok so in a few minutes google search for 'how to hack vbulletin username passwords I got over 1.5 million results. heres a small selection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGClYoBN9k
http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/computer-hacking-programming/446209-tute-hacking-vbulletin-4-x-4-1-3-a.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEOfndtLLY

I can't say whether any of these were used as I have no association with TSR or whether it was an exploit direct on the server but do you still feel comfortable that all was done to prevent being hacked or do you think TSR was at best complacent by not keeping up to date via at least simple searchs on google to check if new exploits had been published.

Web applications get hacked the more popular they are the more people want to hack them. When Talkback a guestbook app was hacked the simple tell in the server logs was searches looking for 'Powered by Talkback' with the vBulletin hacks like TalkBack you need to confirm the site is running the software so the server logs should be showing searches for sites running vBulletin and if your logs show searches for the application you are running its pretty obvious you have peeked the interest in people hacking at that application maybe even just as a practice for a more important target. Mind you have to love the name of the parent company that owns this site 'Acumen Professional Intelligence Ltd' LOL IMHO not much of any of their keywords in the name have been displayed for this to have happened.

I do like the hacks though some good reading and I have a site in mind that might have a go at.
Original post by rmhumphries
TSR doesn't store payment details, payment is carried out through paypal.

Well thats at least one small saving grace.
Im a bit confused about this tbh, I have two email accounts, the one i use for TSR hasn't been contacted about this, yet the one that I do not use for TSR has been contacted, how the hell did this happen o.O
Ok so in a few minutes google search for 'how to hack vbulletin username passwords I got over 1.5 million results. heres a small selection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGClYoBN9k
http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/computer-hacking-programming/446209-tute-hacking-vbulletin-4-x-4-1-3-a.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEOfndtLLY

I can't say whether any of these were used as I have no association with TSR or whether it was an exploit direct on the server but do you still feel comfortable that all was done to prevent being hacked or do you think TSR was at best complacent by not keeping up to date via at least simple searchs on google to check if new exploits had been published.

Web applications get hacked the more popular they are the more people want to hack them. When Talkback a guestbook app was hacked the simple tell in the server logs was searches looking for 'Powered by Talkback' with the vBulletin hacks like TalkBack you need to confirm the site is running the software so the server logs should be showing searches for sites running vBulletin and if your logs show searches for the application you are running its pretty obvious you have peeked the interest in people hacking at that application maybe even just as a practice for a more important target. Mind you have to love the name of the parent company that owns this site 'Acumen Professional Intelligence Ltd' LOL IMHO not much of any of their keywords in the name have been displayed for this to have happened.

I do like the hacks though some good reading and I have a site in mind that might have a go at.

Two of the links exploit a bug in the default search system - where TSR uses Sol, a non-default search system - so that bug won't work, and one applies to an outdated version of vbulletin (3.6.1) when the site uses version 4.

Just because there are security bugs which exist (and I assume have now been fixed as vbulletin is at version 4.2 and the search bug was only said to work until version 4.1) doesn't mean they are likely to affect TSR. Even if TSR doesn't upgrade every time an update comes out with the vbulletin upgrade path, it is still able to manually apply security patches.

Nearly all software, vbulletin, Windows, Mac OS X, etc etc will have security holes in it, and then will patch said holes when someone finds them.
I think you will find they are not in compliance as are many other sites around the web since the rules changed and they now need to get consent not just bury it in the TOS.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/cookies.aspx

So maybe your not the font of all knowledge your presenting yourself to be and should stop ranting a defence on behalf of TSR against those who don't appreciate data being lost by calling them dicks.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=38284867&postcount=3

AND more quippy comment bull**** from TSR's No1 fan. Actually I was being generous by putting it as the customers fault.

You need to chill out - the vein in your forehead is about to burst - at your time of life, you need to be careful about these things.

If you want your analogy the hackers went to the manufacturers site and read the rules on making a default master key. Stupid F'ing door purchaser wasn't smart enough to change the locks as they installed the doors.

False. Nowhere has it been stated that the administrative passwords were either null or default.

But in fact you don't know how the hack was carried out

No, I don't know the detail - I know what I've been told. But then again, neither do you - not exactly a tenable standpoint from which to launch a first-strike, is it?

details you also don't know if they got the payment details of those who have paid for premium membership of TSR and they have not given those details. A lot of people when the PSN network got hacked initially were upset about not being able to connect, that soon changed when it came to light what info they got and exactly how it could be used by the hackers.

Seeing as the payment details are all held with Paypal and have not been included in the damage assessment, it's reasonable to suggest that these have not been affected.

And what's to say that they don't already have all this in place?

No, I don't see the site's owners passing that responsibility. They've held their hands up and apologised for what has happened.

TSR isn't standing me up to defend them - I do not represent TSR. I'm just a regular user that works in infosec for a living and take an interest in the site.
(edited 11 years ago)

You only have a small number of posts and I can see none which are controversial.

Why so serious?

Latest

Trending

Trending