The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iesians
lol u're gone !
how does it make it black if its a hole ?! lol

I don't know! Because it's dark inside your head?! I didn't think haha. It seemed like such a stupid, pointless question that I didn't even stop to think before I wrote anything down.

Ah oh well. The rest of it went OK, considering..!
Reply 4521
Original post by PrismaticCore
Bah, you can barely call that synoptic, that's one of those 'science things' they try to drum into you in both Chemistry and Biology.
I was expecting a beautiful 6-marker on HIV/AIDS :frown:

But I totally anticipated the 'Give the structure of a triglyceride' one. I would've been really surprised if it hadn't come up.

Was the answer one glycerol attached to 3 fatty acids?
Reply 4522
Original post by sammy-lou
I thought that! So was that an actual 'trick question' as they deny in the trade? Or just a crappy mistake on their part?

I just put 80%.
Well I'm not sure, but either way a question like that shouldn't have been there! I think it might have been a crappy mistake, considering it was 2 marks.
Reply 4523
Original post by Freyma
Was the answer one glycerol attached to 3 fatty acids?

i wrote one glycerol molecule attached to 3 fatty acids by ester linkages.
and then i drew a diagram.
Reply 4524
What did you guys put for the 5 marker on spirometer practical. The question was something like "How would you use a spirometer trace to compare the difference in breathing rate and tidal volume of males and females?" I could only think of 3 things to say:
Measure length of peak for tidal volume;
Measure how many peaks over a certain time for breathing rate;
Get a sample of men and women to do it and compare their results;

Then I just explained what a spirometer practical was in the hopes I'd pick up some marks. :sad:
Reply 4525
Original post by iesians
i wrote one glycerol molecule attached to 3 fatty acids by ester linkages.
and then i drew a diagram.

Ahh the ester linkages. I should have put that. Look at the question I put above.
Reply 4526
for the spirometer one , we had to talk about the trace right ? nothing about how it is done like mouthpeice and all ...?! rite ?!
well i wrote
obtain traces for both male and female
calibrate the chart beforehand to read off correct volume values
find tidal volume by measuring the height of the peak formed during rest
find the breathign rate by calculating the time for one breathe and then divide 60 by this answer.

and then i even drew a spirometer trace and labelled tidal volume and time for one breathe ..

will this be right ..?!
Original post by zincoff
I just put 80%.
Well I'm not sure, but either way a question like that shouldn't have been there! I think it might have been a crappy mistake, considering it was 2 marks.

I did some multiplication of some kind; but I think you're right, I don't see how they can justify 2 marks for that either way. Hopefully they'll discredit that question. (They should probably discredit half the questions though).
Reply 4528
Original post by Freyma
What did you guys put for the 5 marker on spirometer practical. The question was something like "How would you use a spirometer trace to compare the difference in breathing rate and tidal volume of males and females?" I could only think of 3 things to say:
Measure length of peak for tidal volume;
Measure how many peaks over a certain time for breathing rate;
Get a sample of men and women to do it and compare their results;

Then I just explained what a spirometer practical was in the hopes I'd pick up some marks. :sad:

i posted my answer above see it !
i dont think they wanted to know anything about the experiment itself. they only asked about the traces.
Reply 4529
Original post by zincoff
The question on mortality rates was terribly worded.
If the prevalence increased by 80%, that doesn't increase the mortality rate as a percentage because they're proportional. The mortality rate will still be 10-20%. The only way a 'percentage increase' method would have been valid, is if they gave you figures to compare the percentage increase of those that died before versus those after.

they didnt give you figures right but you had to just take the figure as "x" as you do in maths because the figure wasnt required, %age was required. i did like this :-

i got 16% :-

80% of pop was admitted so
80/100* X (X is number of young girls)

out of these 20% died :-
20/100(80/100*X)
cut out zeros and simplify it would come
16/100*X so 16% of X (young girls) died due to anorexia.
Original post by hetty123
what did people put for the question about why the pupil appears to be black, i know it was a one marker, but it's bugging me

The choroid prevents internal reflection of light, so no light is allowed to escape out from the pupil and it appears black. :smile: Hope it's right!
Reply 4531
Original post by iesians
they didnt give you figures right but you had to just take the figure as "x" as you do in maths because the figure wasnt required, %age was required. i did like this :-

20/100(80/100*X)

Yes. I'm aware of this. However despite an increasing prevalence, that does not change the mortality rate. e.g.

if there are 1000 girls with anorexia, and the mortality rate is 10-20%, then 100-200 will die.

Even if that increases by 80% to 1800, then the mortality rate for a disease remains the same, and is still 10-20%. Therefore 180-360 will die.

That's in increase in the number of girls dying by 80%.
Reply 4532
Original post by iesians
for the spirometer one , we had to talk about the trace right ? nothing about how it is done like mouthpeice and all ...?! rite ?!
well i wrote
obtain traces for both male and female
calibrate the chart beforehand to read off correct volume values
find tidal volume by measuring the height of the peak formed during rest
find the breathign rate by calculating the time for one breathe and then divide 60 by this answer.

and then i even drew a spirometer trace and labelled tidal volume and time for one breathe ..

will this be right ..?!

I think your answer sounds like pretty much what the question seemed to be asking for. I mentioned things such as the mouth piece, and some variables e.g. age of the participants to control as more of a precautionary measure. I felt like the question appeared too narrow for the amount you actually would have to write about to obtain 6 marks.

I said to calibrate it (with description of the calibration), then obtain the traces, then how to measure the tidal volume (vertical distance from peak to trough) + its definition and also the definition of breathing rate and how to measure it.
Reply 4533
Original post by iesians
i posted my answer above see it !
i dont think they wanted to know anything about the experiment itself. they only asked about the traces.

I think you got it right. Oh well they can't penalise me for the irrelevant stuff. Hopefully we both got it correct.
hey guys this is my 1st post, im seriously crapping myself about this paper, i realised right at the end of the exam i missed the question about rod cells where you had to mention rhodopsin, retinal and opsin however i didnt have time to answer it or check what other questions i missed out. could anyone tell me the few question that came after this and before?
Reply 4535
Original post by iesians

20/100(80/100*X)

You obviously cannot say that 16% of young girls died due to anorexia. First of all you can't calculatoe how many of the girls in general died to anorexia, because the data just told you of an increase in the number of girrls with anorexia.
As I remember the question, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it asked the percentage increase in the deaths of girls WITH ANOREXIA. So my calculations were:
x- the initial number of anorexic girls
p/100 (p=10-20%) the percentage who died
so x*p/100 is the number of initial deaths of girls with anorexia
now x increased by 80% so that would be x* 180/100- the final number of anorexic girls
the mortality rate stayed the same (makes sense) so of these x*p/100 *180/100 die
now let z be the percentage increase in the number of deaths of anorexic girls:
x*p/100*(z+100)/100=x*p/100*180/100
This results in z+100=180, so z=80%
which makes sense, since the percentage increase in the number of anorexic girls is reflected in the number of deaths of anorexic girl

Note: THIS REASONING IS CORRECT ONLY IF THE QUESTION ASKED FOR THE PERCENTAGE INCREASE IN THE NUMBER OF DEATHS OF ANOREXIC GIRLS. PLS CORRECT ME IF THIS WAS NOT THE QUESTION.
It was 80% guys.

This is the information you were given. There was an 80% rise in the number of cases. Mortality rate is between 10 and 20%.

Think about it this way. If I flip a coin, the probability I get heads is 50%. If I flip that coin 4 times, the probability of getting a heads is still going to be 50%.

So in this case. If someone is admitted with anorexia, there is a 10-20% chance they will die. If 80% more people are admitted with anorexia, there is still a 10-20% chance they will die.

You can do it with numbers as well. Lets take 15% as the mortality rate. If you start with 100 people, 15 will die. After the 80% increase there are 180 people. 15% of that is 27.

15 to 27 is an 80% increase.
Pretty sure the phytochrome multiple choice you're all debating was:
Tick
Cross
Tick
Tick

Such an idiot, can't believe I didn't get the black pupil question haha. But found that paper pretty good.

One thing I'm concerned about is the metabolism of that protein question, being trapped in the cell. Did we just have to copy and paste for that too? I didn't really use the text, talked about problems there could be with glycolysis and the link reaction. Was worth quite a few marks.

Can't believe I didn't write that the spine density was increased due to more synapses, such another obvious mark to miss!

What did some of you find hard about the spirometer question: I thought it was a really straightforward core practical explanation?
Original post by fudgesundae
It was 80% guys.

This is the information you were given. There was an 80% rise in the number of cases. Mortality rate is between 10 and 20%.

Think about it this way. If I flip a coin, the probability I get heads is 50%. If I flip that coin 4 times, the probability of getting a heads is still going to be 50%.

So in this case. If someone is admitted with anorexia, there is a 10-20% chance they will die. If 80% more people are admitted with anorexia, there is still a 10-20% chance they will die.

You can do it with numbers as well. Lets take 15% as the mortality rate. If you start with 100 people, 15 will die. After the 80% increase there are 180 people. 15% of that is 27.

15 to 27 is an 80% increase.

So it was a trick question then? Nearly everyone would have tripped up on it then.
Original post by marc_h94
So it was a trick question then? Nearly everyone would have tripped up on it then.

Either that or Edexcel ****ed up and meant to ask something else like they did in unit 1 (might have been 2 can't remember) last year :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending