The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

lol i got 75% for that question somehow!
Reply 4561
Original post by fudgesundae
I did pretty much that. Showed that it would be 80% before and after using examples.

I also wrote a note saying that if the number of cases increases by a certain percentage and the mortality rate stays the same then the percentage of deaths also increases by that amount.

The answer to the question they asked is definitely 80%. Although the fact that it is two marks makes me think that they made a mistake and meant to ask a slightly different question. I remember in Unit 1 or 2 last year they had a multiple choice question which didn't have a correct answer, so this could be similar. If it is they just take the question out and would mark the paper out of 88.

wasnt it 8 percent?
Edit: just realised it wasnt and i changed it to 80 never mind :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tac Crab
Sadly, your not the only one who put that, I did too, god knows what I was thinking, I just didn't know what else to put. :biggrin:

Fml !

Haha well I'm feeling a little better about that little blip then :tongue:
Reply 4563
for the percentage mortalilty of disorder patients i did 0.8 X 0.15 lol
definitely think thats wrong but 80% increase of patients were admitted and it said between 10-20% of them died so kinda from stats i thought the percentage of people who died would be the 2 percentages multiplied together.

anyone else do this?? haha i dont think anyone did :/ dammit, i didnt know what else to do
Reply 4564
Original post by charlypennington
I also wrote about the pupil being a hole
LOL!

i said that its a hole in the eye and that you see the retina but the retiina doesnt reflect light so its black
Original post by Dixie
for the percentage mortalilty of disorder patients i did 0.8 X 0.15 lol
definitely think thats wrong but 80% increase of patients were admitted and it said between 10-20% of them died so kinda from stats i thought the percentage of people who died would be the 2 percentages multiplied together.

anyone else do this?? haha i dont think anyone did :/ dammit, i didnt know what else to do

I did exactly this too. And so did 2 other girls in my class that I asked. And one of them does Maths and Further Maths :ahee:
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't even multiply :/ I divided 10 by 80 and 20 by 80, put my answer as 12.5 to 25% :/
Reply 4567
did anyone write that ... cant remember fluorine something was too big while glucuse could move through carrier proteins on the cell surface membrane by active transport? :/ also, why is it good that it's small lipids or droplets? i said it could be easily hydrolysed and broken down and not stored as fat but that's probs wrong :/
Original post by Cleoleo
did anyone write that ... cant remember fluorine something was too big while glucuse could move through carrier proteins on the cell surface membrane by active transport? :/ also, why is it good that it's small lipids or droplets? i said it could be easily hydrolysed and broken down and not stored as fat but that's probs wrong :/

Completely blagged the fluorine/radioactive glucose question, had absolutely no clue about all that chemistry-based stuff

I wrote a similar thing for the lipid droplets, mentioning a larger surface to volume ratio so it can be broken down quicker :/
Original post by Cleoleo

1. It said it got inside the cell then was trapped (edit: actually no, that's what I took it as lol), so I wrote loads about inability to go through glycolysis or the link reaction, don't know though.

2. Larger surface area when there are many, and therefore reactions occur at a faster rate (easier hydrolysis would be accepted as that I'd think).
(edited 11 years ago)
i wrote that its in small droplets because if it was in 1 large mass it would release too much heat and causing organ failure and also cause enzymes to denature, is this right?
Reply 4571
I pretty much copied and pasted the article into the answers.. did anyone else find they did this a lot..?

Also, for the mortality rates we weren't given any before figures so how could we figure it out?
I just put the same figures that were in the article which was 10% -20%
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4572
Original post by Thegoodleftundone
I didn't even multiply :/ I divided 10 by 80 and 20 by 80, put my answer as 12.5 to 25% :/

I did this too! look at everyone speaking about this makes me think I've messed up the paper so much!

There wasn't enough of the damn spec in the paper. ><
Reply 4573
Original post by charlypennington
I also wrote about the pupil being a hole
LOL!

Do you know what I'm starting to think theres so many of us we could be right! (Maybe)

Theres logic in it somewhere, I mean... holes are dark... :ninja:
Reply 4574
Original post by Tac Crab
Do you know what I'm starting to think theres so many of us we could be right! (Maybe)

Theres logic in it somewhere, I mean... holes are dark... :ninja:

Loool isnt it! I mean we werent even taught about it absorbing light or whatever so maybe they just wanted us to use common sense haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
whens the earliest we can get the paper?
Reply 4576
surely the pupil is black because it absorbs every wavelength of light? does anyone know what the answer was?
Original post by sjg94
surely the pupil is black because it absorbs every wavelength of light? does anyone know what the answer was?

This is most likely to be the answer i.e. no light is reflected back out of the pupil
Reply 4578
Original post by sjg94

Yeah I think your right, I was just being stupid dw :u:
Original post by Hussain123
whens the earliest we can get the paper?

Hussain123, I love your name :wink: lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending