The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thurin
I hadn't practised the violin for about 10 weeks, and the house is empty so I thought I'd see what pieces I could play. The pegs were oddly tight when I was tuning it. I had hoped a string wouldn't snap. The E-string did. That hurt. I found a spare E-string lying around, but it was an old one, and not one of my Dominants. No more mellow sound - sad me :sad:

What grade were you at? I stopped when I was..grade 1. :smile: Thinking of picking up violin again this summer though. I'm so going to nail the vibrato. :cool:
Reply 4201
Original post by Da CorrupteD KiD
What grade were you at? I stopped when I was..grade 1. :smile: Thinking of picking up violin again this summer though. I'm so going to nail the vibrato. :cool:

Mmm. Well I took Grade VI (Merit, I think), and I did all the pieces for Grade VII but decided there was little point in spending time preparing for it, so I moved on to just play concertos instead. My tutor said I was at/very near Grade VIII standard but I don't believe her - she made me play tortuous pieces that were enjoyable but oh so hard, both technically and stylistically!

I wish I could continue with lessons, just so I can have motivation to play regularly and so that my tutor can recommend pieces... I have a Bach concerto I want to tackle, but it's way above my level and I just have no motivation to try to break it down into sections and practise it. The first half a dozen lines consist entirely of quadruple/triple stops :s-smilie:

Vibrato at Grade I/II?! Are you insane? :tongue: I had bad form when I started, which my second tutor only picked up on. I had/have a lot of bad habits. My vibrato's quite good now, though :wink: And yes, you should definitely restart playing the violin. Il est très sexy.

Next year at university I am determined to join an orchestra. I must find one where everyone isn't a virtuoso though... I can advertise that I can resort to the viola if that makes me more likely to be accepted!

Edit: This is part of the concerto, 5th movement...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4202
Reply 4203
That's adorable.
Original post by thurin
Mmm. Well I took Grade VI (Merit, I think), and I did all the pieces for Grade VII but decided there was little point in spending time preparing for it, so I moved on to just play concertos instead. My tutor said I was at/very near Grade VIII standard but I don't believe her - she made me play tortuous pieces that were enjoyable but oh so hard, both technically and stylistically!

I wish I could continue with lessons, just so I can have motivation to play regularly and so that my tutor can recommend pieces... I have a Bach concerto I want to tackle, but it's way above my level and I just have no motivation to try to break it down into sections and practise it. The first half a dozen lines consist entirely of quadruple/triple stops :s-smilie:

Vibrato at Grade I/II?! Are you insane? :tongue: I had bad form when I started, which my second tutor only picked up on. I had/have a lot of bad habits. My vibrato's quite good now, though :wink: And yes, you should definitely restart playing the violin. Il est très sexy.

Next year at university I am determined to join an orchestra. I must find one where everyone isn't a virtuoso though... I can advertise that I can resort to the viola if that makes me more likely to be accepted!

Edit: This is part of the concerto, 5th movement...

What is issue with the emphasis on 'forms' when one plays the violin. The reason I gave up violin at grade 1 was because my tutor wouldn't let me play the nice songs as he wanted me to get the 'form' right. I mean I got most things right I guess why wouldn't he just let me learn ONE song with nice melody instead of pieces that even a 5 year old would consider too childish.

Je n'ai pas su que vous parlez francais! Je viens de commencer a apprendre le francais il y a presque six mois! :biggrin:
Original post by Liam_G

Oh my god, my left ovary just exploded.

WANT.
My mouse is broken. Clicky-clicky button no worky. Very frustrating.

Just looked on eBay for a new one and they're 30 quid! :eek:
Original post by Liam_G

:love:

That is all.
Reply 4208
Why is it so quiet here? I'm free of exams! :h:

So loving the fact I don't need to get up for anything tomorrow. :woo:
Reply 4209
Original post by Da CorrupteD KiD
What is issue with the emphasis on 'forms' when one plays the violin. The reason I gave up violin at grade 1 was because my tutor wouldn't let me play the nice songs as he wanted me to get the 'form' right. I mean I got most things right I guess why wouldn't he just let me learn ONE song with nice melody instead of pieces that even a 5 year old would consider too childish.

Je n'ai pas su que vous parlez francais! Je viens de commencer a apprendre le francais il y a presque six mois! :biggrin:

Well, I'm not going to go into my bad habits (because it's boring!) but suffice it to say that get into bad habits now and you'll find it difficult to break them later on, and they seriously impair your playing - both in trying to accomplish harder passages and simply in terms of tone quality. Form is crucial and I wish I'd known about that in my earlier years!

I don't speak French :frown: Up until GCSE, but then I didn't take it for A-level. I can read and listen well, but writing and speaking are terrible now. Quelle dommage - ça me rend triste.
Original post by thurin
Well, I'm not going to go into my bad habits (because it's boring!) but suffice it to say that get into bad habits now and you'll find it difficult to break them later on, and they seriously impair your playing - both in trying to accomplish harder passages and simply in terms of tone quality. Form is crucial and I wish I'd known about that in my earlier years!

I don't speak French :frown: Up until GCSE, but then I didn't take it for A-level. I can read and listen well, but writing and speaking are terrible now. Quelle dommage - ça me rend triste.

I understand the importance of good form early on but motivation is equally important to keep a beginner interested in learning the instrument imo. I absolutely hated playing Twinke Twinkle little star partly because I started my violin lesson late at 15.

You should totally pick up French again, better late than never. Plus I heard the frenchmen are a romantic bunch. :tongue:
Original post by dbmag9
Why is it so quiet here? I'm free of exams! :h:

So loving the fact I don't need to get up for anything tomorrow. :woo:

I'm flying back to the UK tonight. :colonhash: Screaming children will be shot.
Justin Bieber's new song .... WOW I'm actually in love with it! Ludacris is in it (AGAIN), but it's such a catchy club tune - Google 'All Around The World' if you want to listen to it
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Google 'All Around The World' if you want to listen to it

I'll pass thanks :tongue:
Justin Bieber's new song .... WOW I'm actually in love with it! Ludacris is in it (AGAIN), but it's such a catchy club tune - Google 'All Around The World' if you want to listen to it

Hahahahahaha. I'm not a fan of his tunes...

...but he got hot. :yep:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Mad Vlad
I'm flying back to the UK tonight. :colonhash: Screaming children will be shot.

I think my mom drugged me with Benadryl-infused Capri Sun when I was younger when traveling...

Original post by The Fez
I think my mom drugged me with Benadryl-infused Capri Sun when I was younger when traveling...

Your mum is a hero.
Had a lovely catch up with a college friend, he randomly asked if I wanted to go for a drive :h: Had the perfect opportunity of coming out to him and bailed. :emo: I feel really bad, I was the first person he came out to 5 years ago and I just feel like I've been lying to him all this time. (Though I've never technically lied...) Tempted to just text him and blurt it all out as I know I won't see him again until next year but then again I don't really see the point.

I'm completely out at uni however only 2 of my college friends know, as I told them years ago. No idea how to play this, do I tell them individually, let them find out themselves, is it too little too late? I haven't seen them for a year but regularly keep in touch and still class them as best friends... Am I thinking into this too much because it's 2am...

:woo: AHH.
Reply 4218
Just do it. I came out to my two best friends at about 2 am after a night out. In my opinion, it's best just to get it out of the way whilst you still think it's a good idea. Otherwise, you start over-thinking and then it gets really ****ing complicated.

For what it's worth, I felt better afterwards :yep:
Reply 4219

Came across this song instead. Probably preferable.

Edit: Oh God, why did I search for his song? My ears :s-smilie: That was dreadful! Never again.

Latest