The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I was going to turn it off but Walton Goggins just turned up. Now I don't know what to do.
Reply 6861
If there is enough Walton Goggins in the following 5 min then go on watching.
Attack the Block on C4 tonight 10pm
Reply 6863
Precious is a film with a lot of raw emotional power. Gabourey Sidibe should take on some more 'serious' roles in future.

Glengarry Glen Ross was something of a shameful omission from my 'watched' list, but I'm glad I watched it. Excellent performances from Spacey, Pacino, Lemmon and Ed Harris; not forgetting Baldwin's cameo.

A speculation on A History of Violence:

Spoiler

Attack the Block is very 'meh'. The dialogue isn't anywhere near as funny as the trailers make out and the action takes a turn for the ridiculous, Rambo-esque, which detracts from the setting and atmosphere created in the beginning of the film.
Reply 6864
I'm going to see Cosmopolis tomorrow. :smile: I'm a fan of David Cronenberg's work but I really dislike Robert Pattinson. :rolleyes:
Original post by Arran44
I'm going to see Cosmopolis tomorrow. :smile: I'm a fan of David Cronenberg's work but I really dislike Robert Pattinson. :rolleyes:

Why?
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Why?

I think 'why not?' would be a more appropriate response.

Personally, I was quite indifferent until I saw his catastrophic portrayal of Salvador Dalí in Little Ashes. What a stinker.

I sat down earlier tonight anticipating Teshigahara's The Man Without a Map, yet the horrific subtitling prevented me from enjoying it. It was like a stenographic transcript of Charlie Chan with a mousetrap on his tongue.
Reply 6867
Watched Goodbye Lenin! last night. What a concept! :lol:

Boosted by early reviews, Beasts of the Southern Wild might be my second-most anticipated film coming out this year. :holmes:

I ****ing love these parodies! :rofl:
Coraline - how stop motion animations are made:

I haven't watched the film in question.
Coraline - how stop motion animations are made:

I haven't watched the film in question.

Coraline scared the crap out of me
Reply 6872
Original post by KillForOreos
Coraline scared the crap out of me

Me too. It's creepy, but still not as bad as Insidious
Original post by Na-dia
Me too. It's creepy, but still not as bad as Insidious

Weird cos Insidious didn't scare me one bit, I thought it was just silly. Horror/thriller films don't frighten me at all. I enjoy them fully.
But for some reason Coraline scared the heck out of me, I think it was the evil Mother and the button eyes.
Reply 6874

Related to something we talked about earlier: 'Has Pixar lost the plot?' Looks at the angle of criticism that contends that Pixar went downhill after Disney bought them out in 2006.
Reply 6875
Weird cos Insidious didn't scare me one bit, I thought it was just silly. Horror/thriller films don't frighten me at all. I enjoy them fully.

Have you seen the Woman in Black and is that any good horror wise? It looked pretty creepy.

Ethan Hawke's new film Sinister also looks pretty creepy.
Original post by Deshi
Have you seen the Woman in Black and is that any good horror wise? It looked pretty creepy.

Ethan Hawke's new film Sinister also looks pretty creepy.

I haven't seen it yet, I will soon though. What's Sinister about?
Reply 6877
I haven't seen it yet, I will soon though. What's Sinister about?

[video="youtube;pgYxydrVlDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYxydrVlDk[/video]
Original post by Deshi
[video="youtube;pgYxydrVlDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYxydrVlDk[/video]

It doesn't look that scary but it doesn't have that element from the thing that steals children's souls. Hurrrr, that is a tad bit scary. Looks okay.
Original post by Abiraleft
Related to something we talked about earlier: 'Has Pixar lost the plot?' Looks at the angle of criticism that contends that Pixar went downhill after Disney bought them out in 2006.

Intriguing especially considering they point out that Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up were already in development when they were bought out. I think a lot of it depends on how much of an influence Disney has on Pixar projects. In the past, their relationship was mainly one of distribution. Was it them that leaned in on making a Cars sequel? They may have conditions that isolate their creative process from any Disney influence. There is a stark contrast between how Pixar make films and how 'everyone else' makes films. They have a greater emphasis on free flowing creative process rather than the more rigid, formulaic and controlled approach that other studios adopt.

I think the problems lies more with who is helming these projects. In the past it was a very much director driven studio focused around a select few: Stanton, Unkrich, Docter, Peterson, Bird and Lasseter. The first four haven't really been seen since Up and Toy Story 3. Brad Bird has also been absent since Ratatouille. Lasseter is still around but he also created Cars, arguably the weakest first film from Pixar (I'd put that more down to a mis-step). All of them are absent from Brave. They are also all absent from the upcoming Monster University too... But then you have Peterson on The Good Dinosaur (a film about a world in which dinosaurs never became extinct), Docter on The Untitled Pixar Movie that Takes You Inside the Mind and Unkrich on The Untitled Pixar Movie About Día de los Muertos - all of which sound like exciting projects. I think those three films will be the ones that redeem Pixar in the eyes of critics. I don't think Monster University is going to do that.

If I didn't know Brave was made by Pixar, then I would have assumed it was a Walt Disney or Dreamworks project.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest