The Student Room Group

Law EPQ question suggestions

i hope to study law next year (2013) at university and have decided to do the EPQ. Has anyone got any idea on what I could possibly base it on ?

I was thinking along the line of: the extent of the influence of British Law on the justice system ex colonial countries of the British Empire. How does that sound ??

I'm open to other suggestions in fact I desperately need help and suggestions.

Thank you so much !!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The best way to come up with a title is to pick an area of law that you are particularly interested in. For example, I chose Roman law and the twelve tables as the basis of my project.

The question that you have suggested does sound appropriate; as long as you have enough content to write a 5000 word essay on, and also enough to keep you interested, you should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by JOSHIK1
The best way to come up with a title is to pick an area of law that you are particularly interested in. For example, I chose Roman law and the twelve tables as the basis of my project.

The question that you have suggested does sound appropriate; as long as you have enough content to write a 5000 word essay on, and also enough to keep you interested, you should be fine.

I'm assuming you're going to study law or are studying law, if so is the area that I've picked good to know about and interesting to talk about at interviews or is bit obvious and straight forward ?

I quite like your question roman law as in current or ancient roman law ?
Sounds like a good idea for a topic, maybe you could expand the idea to how the influence of British law and our style of justice system influences those of other countries and use the former colonies as example? Of course it depends on how much resources you have to write for 5000 words.

From a person who wants to do Law at uni next year also, doing an EPQ based around law might help a little bit in your application, at least that's what my EPQ supervisor says. Btw, where might you want to go to do Law?
I'm doing a law-based project as well, my idea for a topic is whether law should be separate from morals and ethics. It wasn't my first choice but we have to include morals and ethics for some reason.
Reply 4
Original post by bpool1994
Sounds like a good idea for a topic, maybe you could expand the idea to how the influence of British law and our style of justice system influences those of other countries and use the former colonies as example? Of course it depends on how much resources you have to write for 5000 words.

From a person who wants to do Law at uni next year also, doing an EPQ based around law might help a little bit in your application, at least that's what my EPQ supervisor says. Btw, where might you want to go to do Law?
I'm doing a law-based project as well, my idea for a topic is whether law should be separate from morals and ethics. It wasn't my first choice but we have to include morals and ethics for some reason.

That's quite an interesting question to look at, I'm just conscious to build up my knowledge of the justice system therefore I chose this question, but I suppose there's more to talk about in your selected question and it's more interesting to talk about at interviews.

What was your first choice question ? My supervisor hasn't said anything about the morals and ethics thing yet.

Not sure about where I'm applying yet.
Reply 5
Original post by Roshniroxy
I'm assuming you're going to study law or are studying law, if so is the area that I've picked good to know about and interesting to talk about at interviews or is bit obvious and straight forward ?

I quite like your question roman law as in current or ancient roman law ?

Yep, i shall hopefully be a law student next year. I initially chose ancient Roman law as it was a unit in the university course that I wanted to study, it was quite interesting but mostly because I could discuss it at interviews, and any law based EPQ is good for that.

I don't think your question is obvious or straight forward, and as such you might be asked why you chose it, which is where you can show your enthusiasm towards the English legal system :smile: It will be interesting to talk about, if you are interested in your topic.

As a recommendation I would try and find some books or articles about your topic before you choose the question as they really do help.

K
That's quite an interesting question to look at, I'm just conscious to build up my knowledge of the justice system therefore I chose this question, but I suppose there's more to talk about in your selected question and it's more interesting to talk about at interviews.

What was your first choice question ? My supervisor hasn't said anything about the morals and ethics thing yet.

Not sure about where I'm applying yet.

Yeah, there would be more scope for discussion. It might be interesting to see how the British system has been influencing others over time in varying ways, you might be able to talk quite a bit on that in an interview.

I wanted to do something to do with our justice system and how it compares to a country like America and countries with governments that control the judiciary (e.g. dictatorships), I thought I could discuss the main points as to why it is how it is- for example dictators use their power to arrest outspoken people and put them in jail using the judiciary in show trials. Something along those lines anyway. No, your supervisor probably won't because it's sort of a rule my school has applied to itself, so we pretty much have to do a project involving morals and ethics.
Reply 7
Original post by JOSHIK1
Yep, i shall hopefully be a law student next year. I initially chose ancient Roman law as it was a unit in the university course that I wanted to study, it was quite interesting but mostly because I could discuss it at interviews, and any law based EPQ is good for that.

I don't think your question is obvious or straight forward, and as such you might be asked why you chose it, which is where you can show your enthusiasm towards the English legal system :smile: It will be interesting to talk about, if you are interested in your topic.

As a recommendation I would try and find some books or articles about your topic before you choose the question as they really do help.

K

Oh what university is that ? Yeah that's what I'm conscious about having something interesting to talk about at interviews.

Just googled the influence of British legal system on other countries and not much came up at all :/ not even a book. Crap.
Reply 8
Yeah, there would be more scope for discussion. It might be interesting to see how the British system has been influencing others over time in varying ways, you might be able to talk quite a bit on that in an interview.

I wanted to do something to do with our justice system and how it compares to a country like America and countries with governments that control the judiciary (e.g. dictatorships), I thought I could discuss the main points as to why it is how it is- for example dictators use their power to arrest outspoken people and put them in jail using the judiciary in show trials. Something along those lines anyway. No, your supervisor probably won't because it's sort of a rule my school has applied to itself, so we pretty much have to do a project involving morals and ethics.

You're write definitely more scope for discussion in your question seeing that I just googled mine and vitally nothing came up :/

Omydays your first choice was my first choice but I dismissed it because I thought it was far to obvious to opt for and other students may do the same ( I was right seeing you were thinking along the same lines).

Are two people allowed to do the same question by any chance ??
You're write definitely more scope for discussion in your question seeing that I just googled mine and vitally nothing came up :/

Omydays your first choice was my first choice but I dismissed it because I thought it was far to obvious to opt for and other students may do the same ( I was right seeing you were thinking along the same lines).

Are two people allowed to do the same question by any chance ??

Oh, nothing came up? Well I guess that's your answer in one, isn't it? I think my question has a lot of scope for my discussion, I'm just thinking whether to use several small examples (eg abortion, euthanasia etc) or one larger historical issue (my sup. recommended decriminalisation of homosexuality in 50's) that ties to a larger legal debate.

Haha, that's kinda weird; and I'd thought I came up with a fairly special question! :redface: Now I know I'm just coming up with ideas everyone thought of first! Ah well...

Well, seeing as the EPQ is marked by your supervisor and looked at just in case by the co-ordinator at your school, I think people might be allowed to do the same question as long as they didn't go to the same school.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Oh what university is that ? Yeah that's what I'm conscious about having something interesting to talk about at interviews.

Just googled the influence of British legal system on other countries and not much came up at all :/ not even a book. Crap.

LSE :smile: Haha, you don't NEED sources from books but they can make your conclusions appear better justified.

BTW, I wouldn't do just a comparison between legal systems, firstly because it would be mind-numbingly boring but also to get top marks you need to evaluate and analyse. I chose to evaluate how relevant the roman legal system is today, and making decisions about hoe I would integrate it and its laws into our legal system was interesting, to me at least :wink:
Reply 11
Oh, nothing came up? Well I guess that's your answer in one, isn't it? I think my question has a lot of scope for my discussion, I'm just thinking whether to use several small examples (eg abortion, euthanasia etc) or one larger historical issue (my sup. recommended decriminalisation of homosexuality in 50's) that ties to a larger legal debate.

Haha, that's kinda weird; and I'd thought I came up with a fairly special question! :redface: Now I know I'm just coming up with ideas everyone thought of first! Ah well...

Well, seeing as the EPQ is marked by your supervisor and looked at just in case by the co-ordinator at your school, I think people might be allowed to do the same question as long as they didn't go to the same school.

Do you then therefore mind if I sort of do a similar question to yours but slightly tweaked, we could end up helping each other ?

I still really want to do my question as I find it quite interesting how our legal system is embedded in that of other countries legal system I'll ask my supervisor tomorrow about this question that I've come up with.
Reply 12
Original post by JOSHIK1
LSE :smile: Haha, you don't NEED sources from books but they can make your conclusions appear better justified.

BTW, I wouldn't do just a comparison between legal systems, firstly because it would be mind-numbingly boring but also to get top marks you need to evaluate and analyse. I chose to evaluate how relevant the roman legal system is today, and making decisions about hoe I would integrate it and its laws into our legal system was interesting, to me at least :wink:

Do you not think my original question is interesting then enough ? Please be honest.
Do you then therefore mind if I sort of do a similar question to yours but slightly tweaked, we could end up helping each other ? I still really want to do my question as I find it quite interesting how our legal system is embedded in that of other countries legal system I'll ask my supervisor tomorrow about this question that I've come up with.

No, I don't mind, if you want to tweak my question that's OK with me. Well I hope we can help each other to do well in this. PM me if you want to swap ideas at all. :smile:

Yeah, it is interesting as a topic but where can you find some way to evaluate the influence of English law on other countries; what would your question be? Perhaps you can look at the impact of the influence of English law?

Btw, about your post above, interesting is subjective to the person who writes it and the person who reads it. If you personally like it, write about it and that will mean you can talk with interest about your chosen topic. It might even help with your personal statement too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Do you not think my original question is interesting then enough ? Please be honest.

No, my original title was a comparison, but I altered it as I was beginning to lose interest, because I was merely highlighting differences between the legal systems and their laws.

My recommendation, therefore, would either be to broaden your essay to include the impacts of it on the social and political realms of the colonies or to find someway of making conclusions, e.g. to what was the impact of the English legal positive on its colonies, or something along those lines. That is, though, only my opinion.

Which universities are you interested in applying to?
Reply 15
Original post by JOSHIK1
No, my original title was a comparison, but I altered it as I was beginning to lose interest, because I was merely highlighting differences between the legal systems and their laws.

My recommendation, therefore, would either be to broaden your essay to include the impacts of it on the social and political realms of the colonies or to find someway of making conclusions, e.g. to what was the impact of the English legal positive on its colonies, or something along those lines. That is, though, only my opinion.

Which universities are you interested in applying to?

LSE, UCL and Durham.

Ooo I like that suggestion of yours, thanks a lot.

Have you started your research on your topic ??
Reply 16
No, I don't mind, if you want to tweak my question that's OK with me. Well I hope we can help each other to do well in this. PM me if you want to swap ideas at all. :smile:

Yeah, it is interesting as a topic but where can you find some way to evaluate the influence of English law on other countries; what would your question be? Perhaps you can look at the impact of the influence of English law?

Btw, about your post above, interesting is subjective to the person who writes it and the person who reads it. If you personally like it, write about it and that will mean you can talk with interest about your chosen topic. It might even help with your personal statement too.

Your right, thanks.

About the question after I finish my homework I'm going to do a bit more research and then I'll let you know whether I'm going to do a question similar to yours, if so I'll ket you know and we can start discussing ideas and books etc.

Thanks again, what university you thinking of applying to ?
Your right, thanks.

About the question after I finish my homework I'm going to do a bit more research and then I'll let you know whether I'm going to do a question similar to yours, if so I'll ket you know and we can start discussing ideas and books etc.

Thanks again, what university you thinking of applying to ?

You're welcome. :smile:

Ok then. I'd better do some research as well, see if I can't add to the essays and books my supervisor's told me to look at. The research is getting pretty annoying now.

I'm thinking of applying to Lancaster, UCL, Sussex and maybe Manchester.
Reply 18
You're welcome. :smile:

Ok then. I'd better do some research as well, see if I can't add to the essays and books my supervisor's told me to look at. The research is getting pretty annoying now.

I'm thinking of applying to Lancaster, UCL, Sussex and maybe Manchester.

Awesome great choices. I'll get back to you in a bit :smile:
Reply 19
LSE, UCL and Durham.

Ooo I like that suggestion of yours, thanks a lot.

Have you started your research on your topic ??

Good choices, naturally, I would say come to LSE!

I finished it last (academic) year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending