The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have ed sheeran drunk piano sheet music?
Original post by roar558
It would help you if you're planning to apply for unis in the future or to go down the teaching route. It's an extra qualification to put down. What other gradings for piano have you done?

I wasn't thinking about goin into teaching, because I do consider it as more of a hobby, but I did grade 7 in december 09. Since then, I've had a break from playing due to school commitements but i've taken it back up since so I don't know if it's all a bit soon.
I'm thinking of buying a Yann Tiersen piano book. His music is simply beautiful :love: This is one of my favourite pieces

[video="youtube;jJqYjL4kia8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJqYjL4kia8[/video]
Original post by magdaplaysbass
I'm thinking of buying a Yann Tiersen piano book. His music is simply beautiful :love: This is one of my favourite pieces

I bought one of Yann Tiersen's books (Six pieces pour piano - Volume 2, which includes Sur le fil) and it's definitely worth it. :yep: In fact, I think I have that book on PDF as well.
Original post by alex_hk90
I bought one of Yann Tiersen's books (Six pieces pour piano - Volume 2, which includes Sur le fil) and it's definitely worth it. :yep: In fact, I think I have that book on PDF as well.

cool :smile: what's your favourite piece to play?
ooh, is there any chance of you sending me / uploading Sur le fil?
cool :smile: what's your favourite piece to play?

Probably La valse d'Amelie, but all of them in that book are really fun. :yep:

ooh, is there any chance of you sending me / uploading Sur le fil?

Check your PM. :smile:
Probably La valse d'Amelie, but all of them in that book are really fun. :yep:

Check your PM. :smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile: You're the best! :biggrin:
Working on grade 5.

Can play moonlight sonata and Bach's partita 6, 4th movement. : )
Did Grade 8 November 2008. Distinction, yay...
That's ages ago now :l
But yeah, I'd like to join :smile:
Favourite pieces:
Pathetique Sonata by Beethoven
the really fast c sharp minor Chopin impromptu which I can't name off the top of my head, which I can't play.
I have really small hands. I envy you lot.
Reply 1949
Hi

I have been learning the piano for 7 months now. Just taken ABRSM Grade 5 and passed with Merit. :smile:

I am currently learning to play Chopin's Prelude in D flat (Raindrop) and have almost finished.

My favourite pieces:
Chopin - Ballades in G minor and F minor, Nocturne in B flat minor
Beethoven - Sonata 8, 23 (Pathetique and Appassionata)
Liszt - Transcendental Etudes, arrangement of Paganini's La Campanella, Danse Macabare

I am aspiring to play the G minor ballade in a few years time... not sure how realistic that is though :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tdawe
Hi

I have been learning the piano for 7 months now. Just taken ABRSM Grade 5 and passed with Merit. :smile:

I am currently learning to play Chopin's Prelude in D flat (Raindrop) and have almost finished.

My favourite pieces:
Chopin - Ballades in G minor and F minor, Nocturne in B flat minor
Beethoven - Sonata 8, 23 (Pathetique and Appassionata)
Liszt - Transcendental Etudes, arrangement of Paganini's La Campanella, Danse Macabare

I am aspiring to play the G minor ballade in a few years time... not sure how realistic that is though :smile:

Grade 5 in 7 months is really really fast.

At this rate, you'll be playing those pieces in no time.
Reply 1951
Original post by iamlovinit05
Grade 5 in 7 months is really really fast.

At this rate, you'll be playing those pieces in no time.

Yes almost too fast - I am having to play catch up A LOT to make sure I instil proper technique. The ballades demand perfection from the pianist.

As a side note to anyone who is interested, here is my favourite interpretation, by Vladimir Horowitz. It's a shame about the lowish quality but I can't seem to find a better one.

(edited 12 years ago)
This is more a question about keyboards than pianos but this is probably the most appropriate place to put this...

I'm vaguely looking at getting a cheap keyboard for recording purposes - nothing fancy, it just needs a fair few sounds which aren't horrible and a 1/4 inch jack output.

My brother has a couple of Yamaha keyboards, one of which is the kind of thing you get in schools and that's sort of what I'm looking for, but he won't let me borrow it -.-
I've been looking at used Yamaha keyboards on ebay but for the price range I'm looking at ~£30 it seems you can only get ancient monophonic things.

I know of Casio and Roland but my experience with Roland is they're fairly expensive buy good quality. I know very little of Casio except that I don't like their calculators! But can anyone suggest other brands that are reasonably good value for money? Or

In the end, I may simply have to increase my budget to £50 or £60 :/

Thanks.
Original post by tdawe

That's the same piece I'm currently learning :holmes:. Very soothing and satisfying to play :biggrin:
Reply 1954
Original post by Nephilim
That's the same piece I'm currently learning :holmes:. Very soothing and satisfying to play :biggrin:

Tried any of the other preludes? A very well rounded set, veering between deceptively simple and rather tricky, and between joy and despair.
Can I join?
Doing Diploma
Favourites are: Chopin Ballade No. 1, Beethoven Pathetique Op. 13 No. 1, Danzas Argentinas No. 3

Check out my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/elainemusic369
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Airess3
Can I join?
Doing Diploma
Favourites are: Chopin Ballade No. 1, Beethoven Pathetique Op. 13 No. 1, Danzas Argentinas No. 3

Check out my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/elainemusic369

I just watched a couple of your videos (the Chopin and Beethoven ones) - very impressive! :yep: :smile:
Reply 1957
I have my first ever music grade exam on wednesday, piano grade 2, wish me luck i'm terrified!
Can I join please? :smile: I have my grade 8- did it a while ago and got a merit :smile: I had my last music lesson last week and after eleven years it was pretty sad! Hoping to carry on when I go to uni though :smile:

Favourite three pieces? Ah that's so hard! But I'd choose valse romantique by Debussy, (my grade 8 piece that I fell in love with!) the adagio of beethoven's sonata in c and I'd go for serenade of the doll by Debussy for my last one. I had a brain injury when I was fourteen and when I came home from hospital I was told to do nothing but rest and gradually reintroduce things. The only thing I carried on with through weeks and weeks of boredom was my piano lessons and my piano teacher leant me 'children's corner' by Debussy to pass the time and they all really remind me of turning a corner towards recovery :smile:

Love the piano so much- people just understand unless they play themselves! :smile:
I just watched a couple of your videos (the Chopin and Beethoven ones) - very impressive! :yep: :smile:

Thank you :smile:!

Quick Reply

Latest