The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by IBarn
Hey guys! I want to study medicine later one and having a bit trouble understanding the IB system here in Sweden. This is what I can choose from:

Group 1 Language A: English A, Swedish A, Danish A, Self-taught A (SL)

Group 2 Language B: English B, Swedish B, French B, German B, Spanish B

Group 3 Individuals and Societies: Business and Management, Economics, History, Psychology

Group 4 Experimental Sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Systems and Societies

Group 5 Mathematics: Mathematics HL, Mathematics SL, Mathematical Studies SL

Group 6 Electives: Film or Theatre or an additional subject from group 2, 3 or 4

Is this going to be possible?

Think psychology would be more useful than physics for medicine to be completely honest.
Original post by Tainninho
So I've chosen the following subjects for the IB:

English Literature HL
Philosophy HL
History HL
Maths SL
Physics SL
German B SL

I'm ideally wanting to go into TV presenting but I'd like to do a history-related degree, and I'm thinking of upgrading German to HL and English to SL as my Hl options don't seem varied enough - is this true or shall i stick to my original plan? I'm also aiming for Oxford uni and so I've taken maths SL instead of maths studies; i'm predicted A* at GCSE and I don't think I'll have great problems understanding it at IB, but is it really worth it keeping it at standard when my degree is completely unrelated? But if I do Maths Studies will it decrease my chances at getting into Oxford?

How about dropping philosophy down to SL and replacing it with German? I think it's probably a slightly 'softer' subject than English. Saying that, you need to bear in mind that a standard Oxford offer is 776/766 at HL, so go for the subjects that would maximise your chances at getting that! HL English isn't really any harder than SL; it's one more piece of coursework, a few more books for the IOC and one more for the exam. Contrastingly, HL languages B is quite a jump up from SL, though if you enjoy discursive essays, you may find that the HL style suits you more (I started off doing SL English and French B and now do both HL). I'd definitely avoid maths studies if you want to try for Oxford, you need everything going for you that you can!
Reply 922
Hey guys I need to submit my options soon for my IB subjects and so far this I'm stuck between Math and History (which levels I should leave the two)

HL
Physics
Math or History
English A1

SL
Computer Science
Math or History
Spanish A1

I heard HL Math is really difficult but I'm willing to dedicate myself a lot since I want to get into Engineering or Physics in University, and I heard HL Maths is very beneficial. The problem is I got a B for my IGCSE Maths. Would I be putting myself through hell by choosing HL even with lots of dedication and studying? I personally prefer Math over History but from all the things I've heard about the horror of HL Maths, I'm not sure what to choose...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Original post by c.anez
Hey guys I need to submit my options soon for my IB subjects and so far this I'm stuck between Math and History (which levels I should leave the two)

HL
Physics
Math or History
English A1

SL
Computer Science
Math or History
Spanish A1

I heard HL Math is really difficult but I'm willing to dedicate myself a lot since I want to get into Engineering or Physics in University, and I heard HL Maths is very beneficial. The problem is I got a B for my IGCSE Maths. Would I be putting myself through hell by choosing HL even with lots of dedication and studying? I personally prefer Math over History but from all the things I've heard about the horror of HL Maths, I'm not sure what to choose...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If you want to do Engineering or Physics at university, Maths at HL is the most important thing - more important than physics at HL even, though you really need both - most good universities have both at HL as specific requirement. If you approach the subject correctly and focus on understanding the syllabus and practice exercises, you'll be totally fine. :smile:
Reply 924
Original post by logiadoevus
If you want to do Engineering or Physics at university, Maths at HL is the most important thing - more important than physics at HL even, though you really need both - most good universities have both at HL as specific requirement. If you approach the subject correctly and focus on understanding the syllabus and practice exercises, you'll be totally fine. :smile:
Yeah I've been told how important Math is for Engineering and/or Physics but I thought a B in the IGCE would just make Math HL a living hell. Maybe it will but I guess I'll just have to work my a** off. Also, what grades (for Math and Physics) are "good enough" for good universities such as let's say Waterloo, Cambridge, Oxford, etc? (In terms of Engineering and Physics)
Original post by c.anez
Yeah I've been told how important Math is for Engineering and/or Physics but I thought a B in the IGCE would just make Math HL a living hell. Maybe it will but I guess I'll just have to work my a** off. Also, what grades (for Math and Physics) are "good enough" for good universities such as let's say Waterloo, Cambridge, Oxford, etc? (In terms of Engineering and Physics)

Oxbridge will need 7s in both Maths and Physics pretty much guaranteed. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe a 6 and a 7 if you ace the entrance test and other circumstances work in your favour.

Point is though, if you find maths incredibly difficult, studying Physics at university might not be for you, if that makes sense?
Reply 926
Original post by logiadoevus
Oxbridge will need 7s in both Maths and Physics pretty much guaranteed. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe a 6 and a 7 if you ace the entrance test and other circumstances work in your favour.

Point is though, if you find maths incredibly difficult, studying Physics at university might not be for you, if that makes sense?
Ok thanks for the advice.
Reply 927
Original post by tashaaaness
Hey! :smile:

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
Maths
Biology
Chemistry

SL
Spanish ab initio
English A1
History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it! :smile:

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks! :smile:

i would say drop the math hl because you wont have the time to work your butt off. believe me! you have six subjects to take care of and you have to prioritize. and if you're always gnna prioritize math you'll not get as high in the other subs.
and if your thinking of going into a medical field i highly suggest you take phys and drop the hist.because hist wont help you later on...in that field
i myself am taking the three sciences and im thinking of pursuing medicine too. but you should sleep on it and think of taking the three sciences even though you will be mind raped on a daily basis :smile: but its been a year so far and im still alive and if i can do it then so can you.
oh and english A1 hl is so far amazing! i absolutely love it good luck choosing and i hope you do what you like best and what is most beneficial for you. :smile:
Reply 928
Hi guys i need a little help with my subject choices hoping to do an economics related course such as Financial or business economics at preferably an american uni like UCLA
My subject choices are:
Econ HL
Business studies HL
Biology HL
English literature SL
Spanish ab initio
Maths SL
Do i need to make any changes? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Joker :P
Hi guys i need a little help with my subject choices hoping to do an economics related course such as Financial or business economics at preferably an american uni like UCLA
My subject choices are:
Econ HL
Business studies HL
Biology HL
English literature SL
Spanish ab initio
Maths SL
Do i need to make any changes? Thanks :smile:

If you want to do Economics at uni, maths HL is either (1) strongly recommended, if you go to US, or (2) pretty much required if you go to UK. Change B&M and Maths around - if you think you can't handle maths at HL, then reconsider if you want to do economics, as it's very much maths-focused in uni.
Reply 930
Hello people, another one with a dilemma here!
I am starting IB this October and for now my subjects are:
English HL - mandatory (although I would have taken it anyway)
Serbian SL - mandatory
Biology HL
Chemistry HL
Math SL-HL ?
History SL-HL ?
Visual Arts - SL
For now I am pretty sure I will pursue medicine in the future but I still want to keep my options open - thus HL History. That would be a subject combination that could easily fit in many fields in college (law, literature, history etc)... buut, yes, I'm also well aware that colleges pretty much look down upon applications that have too many different subjects, as it doesn't quite show your determination.
Ok, so:
1. Everyone talks how Math HL is needed- or at least desired for Medicine. Is Math HL that important for Medicine? Does it really make that much of a competitive application for med schools later? Just... is it worth it?! :biggrin:
2. Do you think it would be too 'colorful' of an application if I applied to med school with Bio, Chem, English and History HL + VA at SL too? Lost soul much?
3. Besides Math HL, I also hear a lot of talking about Physics. Do I need that at all?
I could take Physics as a 7th subject instead of VA but drawing is a thing that has always made made me stand out and I would be sorry for giving that subject up.

I would really appreciate some advice, suggestions, experiences, anything.. :smile:

Best rgds!
Original post by Sic
Hello people, another one with a dilemma here!
I am starting IB this October and for now my subjects are:
English HL - mandatory (although I would have taken it anyway)
Serbian SL - mandatory
Biology HL
Chemistry HL
Math SL-HL ?
History SL-HL ?
Visual Arts - SL
For now I am pretty sure I will pursue medicine in the future but I still want to keep my options open - thus HL History. That would be a subject combination that could easily fit in many fields in college (law, literature, history etc)... buut, yes, I'm also well aware that colleges pretty much look down upon applications that have too many different subjects, as it doesn't quite show your determination.
Ok, so:
1. Everyone talks how Math HL is needed- or at least desired for Medicine. Is Math HL that important for Medicine? Does it really make that much of a competitive application for med schools later? Just... is it worth it?! :biggrin:
2. Do you think it would be too 'colorful' of an application if I applied to med school with Bio, Chem, English and History HL + VA at SL too? Lost soul much?
3. Besides Math HL, I also hear a lot of talking about Physics. Do I need that at all?
I could take Physics as a 7th subject instead of VA but drawing is a thing that has always made made me stand out and I would be sorry for giving that subject up.

I would really appreciate some advice, suggestions, experiences, anything.. :smile:

Best rgds!

Other than Chemistry; very few Medical schools state a preference for any other subjects at HL, although Biology is commonly taken alongside Chemistry. Maths HL is absolutely NOT essential, even in leading Medical schools like Edinburgh, and Cambridge. They are more interested in work experience, enthusiasm and your actual grade.

Getting 7,7,6 with a 6 in maths HL, is not as impressive as 7,7,7 with a 7 in History to them. Maths in most medical courses is not harder than the maths required to get a good mark in the SL maths papers; or so many students and lecturers I have spoken to say.

Your best bet is emailing the Medical departments you are interested in, and asking them yourself; as only they will be able to accurately answer your question.
Reply 932
Original post by chiligrinder
Other than Chemistry; very few Medical schools state a preference for any other subjects at HL, although Biology is commonly taken alongside Chemistry. Maths HL is absolutely NOT essential, even in leading Medical schools like Edinburgh, and Cambridge. They are more interested in work experience, enthusiasm and your actual grade.

Getting 7,7,6 with a 6 in maths HL, is not as impressive as 7,7,7 with a 7 in History to them. Maths in most medical courses is not harder than the maths required to get a good mark in the SL maths papers; or so many students and lecturers I have spoken to say.

Your best bet is emailing the Medical departments you are interested in, and asking them yourself; as only they will be able to accurately answer your question.

Ok, thank you.
And Physics?
Changed my options after a taster week of the timetable, as I am now sure what I want to do, what I love etc.

HL
Chemistry,
Maths,
Physics
(Latin) - our school requires a 4th HL for Maths HL candidates until they are sure they are going to commit.

SL
English Lit
History

Hard work ahead.
Reply 934
I have a problem on which subjects to choose as well. As of right now the subjects I have chose are Physics HL, Maths HL, Chemistry HL, English SL, Language B SL. I am currently confuse if I should take biology sl or economics sl for my last subject? I am still uncertain of what I want to become or major in the future, probably engineering or business related things but i still want to keep my options open as well. In this case, what would be better for me?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rh888king
I have a problem on which subjects to choose as well. As of right now the subjects I have chose are Physics HL, Maths HL, Chemistry HL, English SL, Language B SL. I am currently confuse if I should take biology sl or economics sl for my last subject? I am still uncertain of what I want to become or major in the future, probably engineering or business related things but i still want to keep my options open as well. In this case, what would be better for me?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you have special dispensation (the only common case I've heard of for this is people applying to do medicine in Sweden) you have to take Economics SL as you must have a group 3 ("Individuals and Societies") subject. In IB, you have 6 groups: First Language, Second Language, Individuals and Societies (often called humanities), Natural Sciences (Bio/Chem/Physics being the main example), Maths and "Arts and Electives" (an art subject or another option from one of the other 5 groups), and you must select one subject from each.
Reply 936
Original post by CLS94
Unless you have special dispensation (the only common case I've heard of for this is people applying to do medicine in Sweden) you have to take Economics SL as you must have a group 3 ("Individuals and Societies") subject. In IB, you have 6 groups: First Language, Second Language, Individuals and Societies (often called humanities), Natural Sciences (Bio/Chem/Physics being the main example), Maths and "Arts and Electives" (an art subject or another option from one of the other 5 groups), and you must select one subject from each.

I am aware of this but I have a strong interest in learning science related subjects which is why I am planning to take the 3 science subjects. Plus taking all 3 of it opens up many opportunities in the future. However is this a wise choice to do?

This may seem a bit out of topic but if perhaps I plan on applying to MIT in the future and it requires me to take two or more years of history/social studies, will I still be able to apply if I took economics in grade 9-10?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 937
Original post by rh888king

Thanks in advance!

Biology goes well with the rest of your subjects. I can't see Economics being very helpful for keeping the options open if you're not taking it at HL.
Reply 938
Original post by CLS94

Yeah, that applies for the regular diploma, but there are loads of people who take the subjects he's taking (all science- oriented subjects) and get an irregular science diploma, it's basically the same.
Hi everyone, I'm struggling with subject choices as well. I'm starting at a new school in September and I need to submit my choices next week, and so far I've chosen:

English Literature A HL
French B HL
History HL
Economics SL
Maths SL

I'm torn between choosing SL Biology or ESS as my Group 4. I'm not too keen on Biology because my teacher last year wasn't that great, but I don't know too much about the ESS; from what I've heard it's considered something of a 'soft' subject and not appealing to universities. I have no intention of going for a science-related degree, though. Any information, tips or opinions? c:

Latest

Trending

Trending