The Student Room Group

STEP III 2012 Discussion Thread

All stuff related to STEP III should be discussed here.

Question Paper

Provided Solutions

Q1 - MrDD
Q2 - Mikelbird
Q3 - Lord of the Flies
Q4 Part 1 - BabyMaths
Q4 Part 2 - B Jack
Q5 - Mikelbird
Q6- Mikelbird
Q7 - Farhan.Harif93
Q8 - B Jack
Q9 - MAD Phil
Q10 - MAD Phil
Q11 Version 1 - DFranklin/ Q11 Version 2 - MAD Phil
Q12 - DFranklin
Q13 - MAD Phil

We have a complete set of solutions! Well done everyone :biggrin:

A message from Cambridge Assessment:

We very much regret the printing error in the STEP Mathematics Paper III taken on 27 June, which meant that candidates were unable to answer one of the (optional) questions. We are taking urgent steps to identify the candidates who may have been affected and to ensure that this does not affect their applications for university places. We have started a full review of our processes to make sure that errors of this kind are not repeated.
best wishes,
Admissions Testing Service
Cambridge Assessment
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So how did everyone find it?

Personally I thought it was a difficult one...I'm thinking about 110-115 for me barring lots of silly errors

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
A nice paper in general I thought? Surprisingly, I could not do question 1, just couldnt get my head around how to work of Z without guessing it's form!

Did Q2 in full, most of Q3, had an unsuccessful attempt at 4, did most of 7 and all of 8. Should be enough for a 1 hopefully :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TheMagicMan
So how did everyone find it?

A nice paper? Although please tell me how the hell were you meant to work out eliminate Z in order to get y in terms of x in first question?
Original post by fruktas
A nice paper? Although please tell me how the hell were you meant to work out eliminate Z in order to get y in terms of x in first question?

I barely looked at 1... Couldn't understand where z was coming from... Most people thought it was really hard among those I know.

Reply 5
anyone got the paper?
Reply 6
I didn't do question 1, but I noticed z=(y^n)(dy/dx)^2
Reply 7
I thought it was quite a nice paper though, did questions 2, 4 and 8 fully, most of 5 and 7, and the first part of 13
Reply 8
Original post by fruktas
A nice paper in general I thought? Surprisingly, I could not do question 1, just couldnt get my head around how to work of Z without guessing it's form!

Did Q2 in full, most of Q3, had an unsuccessful attempt at 4, did most of 7 and all of 8. Should be enough for a 1 hopefully :smile:

I thought it went better than STEP II. Couldn't do Q1 either - it felt that something was missing at the start of the question, as it went straight in with a differential equation for z without giving any details as to what z actually was relative to x or y. Got to the end of Q7, Q6 and Q3 (but missed small bits on 6 and 3), and made a good attempt at Q8, and a start at Q3. I think I will have got around 65 marks, which is hopefully enough for a 1.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheMagicMan
I barely looked at 1... Couldn't understand where z was coming from... Most people thought it was really hard among those I know.

Nor could I! I stared at it for about 10 minutes since differential equations is usually easy marks for me, but just couldnt do it! I think its a similar paper to 2010, ie it was hard. The style of questions suited me, but it was certainly hard to finish the questions fully.
Reply 10
I haven't seen the paper, but you would you say that it's nicer than last years?
Reply 11
Question 8, final summation was pi/4 right?
Original post by B Jack
I thought it was quite a nice paper though, did questions 2, 4 and 8 fully, most of 5 and 7, and the first part of 13

I did 2345678 but my solutions really didn't have the polish I wanted... I'm expecting some lost explanation marks and I messed up the very end of the series question

Reply 13
I think there was a sentence omitted from question one, one that should read "where z=y^n*(something)" like in 2010 STEP II that they forgot to type another sentence about the Useless Eustace question about the range of value of the angles (0<θ<2π).

It may be possible that someone can work out the value of z (as a function of y) by directly integrating the right hand side of the the formula given. But that was not really an option during the exam, 20 easy marks lost :frown:, if the formula for z was given that would have been an easy question, choosing n=1 for the first and n=-2 for the second (and taking -2 out of the parenthesis) would do the trick I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by cpdavis
I haven't seen the paper, but you would you say that it's nicer than last years?

It's hard to say, I personally thought it was quite an easy paper overall, but there was no integration or trigonometry and Q1 looked confusing
Reply 15
Original post by fruktas

all u had to say was the n was 1. then sub in the formula for root(y). then solve a simple differential eqn. for the next part, n was 3 or 4. the formula for dz/dx was just a product of two differentials.
Reply 16
Original post by fruktas
Question 8, final summation was pi/4 right?

Yes :smile:
Original post by cpdavis

Not in my book. I've consulted about 25 offer holders and about 70% thought it was on the hard side

Original post by maksokio
I think there was a sentence omitted from question one, one that should read "where z=y^n*(something)" like in 2010 STEP II that they forgot to type another sentence about the Useless Eustace question about the range of value of the angles (0<θ<2π).

It may be possible that someone can work out the value of z (as a function of y) by directly integrating the right hand side of the the formula given.

I agree about Q1 - I was worrying this morning thinking that I might be the only person with a printing error or something!
Reply 19
Original post by maksokio

It may be possible that someone can work out the value of z (as a function of y) by directly integrating the right hand side of the the formula given.

z=yn(dy/dx)2 , but I only worked that out after the exam :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending